Shock And Cover

pskkd930

An hour is great, but a half-hour is OK. You just want to be able to air out the initial burst of chloramines that form and at hot spa temps those mostly get oxidized within an hour. The urea takes longer, but you can air that out when you remove the cover shortly (10 minutes or so) before your next soak.

• 5 years later...

I know this is a very old post but it is one answer that I have searched for forever! The search function was not my friend on this one...

From reading all of the great info here I gleaned that shocking was an oxidizing process to release chloramines/break down the bad stuff. It made sense to me that the cover should be off to release the contaminants, however I had trouble finding confirmation of this. Despite all of the carefully crafted "How To" step-by-step posts, the process of leaving the cover off and for how long has been overlooked.Guidance is greatly appreciated!

My spa is outdoors in direct sunlight, which I believe reduces chlorine anyway? I have tons of trees and flowers; wind blows pollen and such in my spa when the top is off. Aside from human byproducts like sweat and oils, isn't the point of shocking to also address any of these contaminants? 

Anyone still around to help with this? Thanks!! 🙂