No Footer Under Posts

Bill_H

Recently my 30' Zenith pool failed when the liner breached. It was four years old.

The installer that I contracted to replace the liner discovered there were no supporting blocks under any of the pillars. Some of the posts had sunk and caused a metal panel to come out of the groove which caused the failure.

My question is whether that is considered good workmanship.

The pool was installed by a APSP certified professional.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill H

We just had a 27' pool put in our backyard. The contractor hired by the pool company said they never put blocks under the pillars because the frost in the ground makes them move and it causes problems with the pool. They put our pool right on the ground. They also told us to be sure to put at least 6 inches of dirt around the pool.

I've been looking at pool installation manuals and your description has never been mentioned. It's interesting they are asking you to put the dirt around the pool. I would think this is part of their installation...

The original installer of my pool was a member of the APSP.

Does anyone know if they have installation guidelines for above ground pools?

Thanks,

Bill_H

Recently my 30' Zenith pool failed when the liner breached. It was four years old.

The installer that I contracted to replace the liner discovered there were no supporting blocks under any of the pillars. Some of the posts had sunk and caused a metal panel to come out of the groove which caused the failure.

My question is whether that is considered good workmanship.

The pool was installed by a APSP certified professional.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill H

Yes. I consider it poor workmanship. Actually It could be negligent workmanship.

I live in Central MA and both above ground pools I've had there were concrete blocks placed under the pillars. I've looked at some pool installation manuals that I could find on line and the installation manuals also call for cement blocks to be placed under the pillars. Do you have the installation manual for you pool? Does it call for blocks under the pillars? Can you contact Zenith and see what the recomend?

I would gather as much info as I could, such as statement from the contractor who noticed the blocks were mssing, installaiton guidlines both from the manual and pool manufactuer and make a claim against the orignal installer.

Thanks Trigger,

That is my thinking exactly. I have contacted Zenith and waiting response.

I did talk to another dealer of Zenith pools and they confirmed a minimum of an 8"X16"X1" patio block is required for each post.

I will likely be taking it to small claims court. The contractor told me he would testify on my behalf...

Bill_H

• 3 weeks later...

In our area (northern canada) its the soils and virgin ground prep that is key to the pools lifespan, you must reach solid undisturbed soil then tamp it, then at a few inches of crushed gravel then tamp again also be sure you went at least 18 inches wider then the pool this will stop the movement right at the posts..... if you simply put blocks under the posts the frost will attempt to heave the post... I believe in proper ground prep it adds to the cost but is key to the life of your investment.