Galvinized Steel Vs Polymer Walls

Ngasales

I am in the process of finding a pool builder in Cincinnati, I'm looking at doing an 18x36 rectangle or possibly an "L" shape.

My question is I have shopped around a few places and the most recent place recommended using polymer composite walls.

My question is are there advantages or disadvanges to that over steel. I have been to 4 different places and only one talked about they walls.

Also prior to signing a contract do I have much negogating power or are the prices similar.

Companies were

Superior pools

Anchor pools

Aqua tech

Cincinnati pools and patio

If anyone is from cincy and could help with any positive or negative comments on any of those companies that would be great.

This is our first pool and want to make sure it's done right and quality stuff is used

The use of polymer/resin wall panels would lead me to think that the soil may be somewhat acidic.

Scott

fwiw: being in the planning process ourselves... it seems a rectangle will be easer to cover than an L -- especially with an automatic cover. you'll likely use a track-running cover more (i.e.: be more prone to close it for safety) than a "spiderweb" one because of the easier operation... and since you're planning now (although they aren't cheap), an under deck track is pretty slick.

good luck with the project.

The use of polymer/resin wall panels would lead me to think that the soil may be somewhat acidic.

Scott

Scott

The company said they use this brand as it stands up better and won't rust

http://www.onlystructuralarmor.com/. Is the brand of all

Any insight on worth while to consider this Type or stick to standard galvanized steel

Also 3 of the places use hayward and one used pentair any recommendations on those brands for pump and heater

Thanks

No composite wall will rust but the attaching hardware has the potential. Not likely to rot out for 50 years though.

As for Pentair vs Hayward, Pentair wins in quality and engineering and Hayward wins on up front price. I use Pentair gear when whole goods are needed.

Scott

I would also submit that resin walls tend to do better in wet environments than steel walls.

Scott

Scott

The company said they use this brand as it stands up better and won't rust

http://www.onlystructuralarmor.com/. Is the brand of all

Any insight on worth while to consider this Type or stick to standard galvanized steel

Also 3 of the places use hayward and one used pentair any recommendations on those brands for pump and heater

Thanks

I can personally say that I was building the Elite Panel system (polymer walls), but switched to Structural Armor last year. Polymer doesn't hold up like it used to, and steel WILL rust.. could cause a lot of issues in the future. That's why I stick with the fiber-reinforced composite wall system (Structural Armor or Fuzion 5010). And you are correct when saying the bracing will rust, but it's backfilled and never really seen again. All the other components are non-corrosive and as strong as steel.. have you seen any of the videos?

In regards to pumps and filters.. to be honest.. there are a lot of good ones out there, pentair and hayward simply have the recognized brand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have fiberglass walls with concrete/plastered bottom. I have not had any trouble with it and it is over 30 years old. Only had to replaster the bottom twice, the last time was 2 years ago.

My neighbor has a steel walled pool and has put 3 or 4 liners in it and it is not near the age of my pool. The last one he put in I was down there and the sides are litterally rusted through.

You will outlive your fiberglass or composit walls.

Tom