Bromine Floaters - Need Advice

THill

I'm considering switching to the 3-step bromine process from dichlor/bleach so that we can leave the spa unattended for a longer period. However, I'm not sure what one does with the floating dispenser when using the spa. The filter compartment on our Sundance spa seems too small to hold a floater, but if I take it out of the spa, isn't it going to leak concentrated bromine on the spa exterior and deck? What do those of you using a brominator do?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific brand of floater?

Finally, how long should I be able to leave a spa with bromine unattended? With dichlor/bleach (and a constantly running ozonater), even if I start with 15+ ppm of free chlorine, there is no residual after 6 or 7 days.

Thanks!

just put it in a small plastic bucket if you want to take it out of the water. I always left mine in when I had a bromine spa (but is was a 500 gal spa)

The floater you want is the Pentair #335

How long you can teave the tub unattended depends on many factors but the idea of the foater is to supply a constant amount of sanitizer until the tabs are all dissolved. If the tub is not being used and is covered there iwll not be much of a sanitizer demand so the floater can be dialed down low. Depending on hwy man tabs you have in it it should last at least a few weeks. More common problem if the tub is standing is that the sanitizer level tends to build in the water and can get quite high since nothing is really going in the water to use it up,.

However, once all the tabs are dissolved the level will start to drop again.

YMMV but you should be able to leave the spa unatteneded for a few weeks to (maybe) a month, assiming that the tabs don't run out in the floater too fast. Differenet brands will dissolve at different rates, depending on the binders used in their manufacture.

When I was on the Bromine system, I bought the floater Waterbear suggested. I could easily go 2 weeks prior to the tabs being depleted. I have a 395 gallon tub and 2.5 setting kept a Bromine level of around 4-5 ppm and the tabs lasted a long time. As far as the floater, I just sat it on the patio fence around my tub, never was an issue at all. Once out of the water it did not "leak" anything.

Thanks very much, guys. The plastic bucket is a great idea, and thanks for the model recommendation, waterbear. It's very good news to learn the system can be left unattended for two or three weeks, which is the max. amount of time we'd ever be away.

• 8 years later...

I have about a 75 gal tub, (small) and I use a 1 inch floater.

No matter how little bromine I set it to, enough comes out that within 2 to 3 weeks it is depleted of tablets.

I think it leaks.  I bought another one and it is no better.

How can I minimize the amount of bromine that comes from the unit.?

Get a Pentair 335 1" floater (best one made for 1" tabs) and only put one or two tabs in at a time instead of filling it up and only open it a little. It has a very wide range of adjustment and is well made. You can find it online at such places as Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and might find it locally at a pool/spa retail store. Pentair model number is Pentair R171074 335

pentair 335.jpg