Hot Tub Motor Rapidly Turning Off And On

lyne

I woke up this morning to find my hot tub (Cal spa) motor rapidly turning on and off causing the pumr to surge. I wasn't sure if it was motor or pump so I cleaned the filter, tried to bleed the air for the line- that did not work. Tried to remove one of the sensors that did not work either. I have shut it off Anyone have any ideas?

I am not sure if the motor is cycling or if it is surging. There is more than enough water. I thought it might be a problem with the water flow also so last night we removed the line leading to the pump and could not find any obstruction.

I would STILL check the voltage - if you have low voltage it could very well have damaged the board thanks to the pump trying to start all night. If you put in a new board, the low voltage could eat it up as well.

You may ask why it worked as long as it did and suddenly has low voltage? There are many reasons from corrosion to a bad original job of wiring. I have seen it a lot.

HTH

B)

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone,

i have a similar issue to the one above. I have a 2007 jacuzzi j480 and the two pumps start to turn on and off quickly sometimes. They do this alternating then will do it at the same time. It doesn't seem completely random. I've read about possible low voltage. However this only happens once every few days. The panel shows no errors. Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!!

Mine does this when it is cold - in 40s. Display shows 32. Started after replacing an open Balboa temperature sensor. My pump will come on, the heater relay will close, heater will draw current, then relay will open , heater will go off, then pump will go off. Then all this repeats. Only when it is cold. Water temperature is near 95 where it stays unless we want to use it. Then we turn it up to 104 to heat it up. Craziest operation I've ever seen. The old temp sensor was open and heating to some high limit shut off - 108-112. Now it starts and stops when ambient is low.

I would firstly check the voltage - if you have low voltage, it could very well have damaged the board thanks to the pump trying to start all night. If you put in a new board, the low voltage could eat it up as well. You may ask why it worked as long as it did and suddenly has low voltage? There are many reasons from corrosion to a bad original job of wiring.