Jacuzzi Questions. Dealer Costs For Options And Clearray/ozone

Hello,

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a J495 but I have a few questions that could help me negotiating with the dealer.

1. Can Ozone and Clearray co-exist? Any advantages? (will it reduce my chemicals and the smell associated with them?)

2. Anyone know what the dealer cost of these dealer options:

Cover

Cover lifter

Ozone

Smartseal (does it really save 25% electricity and worth the money)

Prolites corner cabinetry lighting

3. Is it too much to ask for the dealer to include these in with the spa? (not asking for stereo or steps)

:) Thanks

The can coexist but it is really pointless. If you are using chlorine and the spa receives no sunlight then UV might help with persistent combined chlorine if that is an issue (is isn't always one). It is NOT a primary sanitizer since it has no residual effect and bacteria and other pathogens grow very quickly in the hot water temperatures found in spa so a fast acting residual sanitizer is a must. Likewise, it will not allow you to run a lower sanitizer level than without it (but under some circumstances might allow for a smaller amount of sanitizer being needed to maintain the SAME level as without, which can be a potential cost saver but usually is not since UV systems are not cheap to operate since the bulbs have a very short life span. IMHO, it is more of a marketing tool than a true asset to water quality..

Everything that i said for UV also applies to ozone with the addition that ozone can actually increase sanitizer demand in spas that do not get a lot of constant usage. Also, the way ozone is implemented in spas, it is more of a marketing feature than anything that will actually improve your water quality. Finally, ozone is an extremely toxic gas and the was it is often implemented it is very possible for high levels to build up under the cover and then be breathed in. At best, it is irritant, At worst it can cause definite health problems.

Neither one is going to allow you to run a lower residual sanitizer level and if anyone is telling you that they can they are lying to you to make a sale. Under the right conditions they might allow you to need less sanitizer to maintain the same level but there is often no cost savings because of the maintenance on the additional equipment.

Personally, I would not spend the money on them. I would invest in steps, pillows, additional jets (if an option) before I would put either ozone or UV on a tub.

Lantern,

i recently bought a 2012 J-245 and the price included the cover, lifter, clearray, steps and some other options i can't think of right now. Not sure on your location but where i'm at, Jacuzzi is running a promotion that includes all of those options. May not hurt to ask.