Fixed hot tub and now getting water chemistry straight!

abc123

actually, to do the titration tests (any of them) you keep adding drops until one more drop does not produce additional color change and then don't count that last drop. You might want to try the calcium hardness test with a 10 ml sample, 10 drops of calcium buffer3 drops of indicator, and then each drop of titrant is 25 ml calcium hardness. The color change is easier to see this way so you learn the endpoint. With a 25 ml sample it can take a lot of drops to get through the intermediate purple color.. With the 10 ml sample the color change is much easier to see and happens with just two or three drops usually.

• 4 weeks later...

Its me again.... my bromine reading is off the color chart. its very orange almost red. How do I lower that? I took the floater out several days ago. It doesn't seem to be changing.

I am not happy with my taylor kit, no matter when I test the water or how many drops I put in my water does not change to any color at all. I tested the bromine with the kit pictured above.

I did run it with the lid off a while today and it is back down thanks for that info :) Now I can get in tonight. I wasn't sure about getting in with high bromine so I have been waiting.

Chlorine (Free, Combined) Test

1. Rinse and fill large comparator tube to desired mark

with water to be tested.

NOTE: For 1 drop = 0.2 ppm, use 25 mL sample.

For 1 drop = 0.5 ppm, use 10 mL sample.

2. Add 2 dippers R-0870. Swirl until dissolved. If free

chlorine is present, sample will turn pink.

NOTE: If pink color disappears, add R-0870 until

color turns pink.

3. Add R-0871 dropwise, swirling and counting after

each drop, until color changes from pink to

colorless.

4. Multiply drops in Step 3 by drop equivalence (Step 1).

Record as parts per million (ppm) free chlorine (FC).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used 10ml sample

My drops in step 3 were 25 so I don't count the last drop and multiply 24 by 2.25?

I used 10ml sample

My drops in step 3 were 25 so I don't count the last drop and multiply 24 by 2.25?

IF you used a 10 ml sapmpe and you needed 24 drops to turn colorless then the FC would be .5 x 24 = 12 ppm To convert that reading into bromine you would multiply the 12 ppm x 2.25 giving you 27 ppm bromine which would show up as orange to brown on the OTO test kit that you also have. If you turned colorless on the 25th drop then count it. If the 24th drop turned you colorless and the 25 drop produced no further color change than don't count it.

Why is the bromine so high? Take the floater out, leave the spa uncovered and circulating until the bromine level drops. Turn the floater down. It takes a bit to get everything adjusted but once you do it's smooth sailing.

OK I tested it again today after running it with the top off again.

Used a 10 ml sample and 15 drops so I did this:

.5 x 15 = 7.5 ppm

7.5 ppm x 2.25 = 16.875 does that number get rounded up?

I will run it again tomorrow with the lid off. the floater is out.

I think what happened is it was low and I started the floater (two tabs) almost closed, first little while I turned it more open slow. My number was falling and I went out one day all my two tabs in the floater were gone. So I put more tabs in about 5 or 6 of them and I opened it more than just the little bit I had been doing. Then there was a personal emergency for a few days, so it got ignored. Next time I tested it it was high. That's my best guess of what happened :)

• 1 month later...

Just stopping by after testing my water again :) Thought I should tell you I think I got it down! As long as I keep 2 tabs in my floater, and floater closed, it seems to always come out right!

• 8 months later...

I am back! Glad you left this here since I lost my copy on my hard drive. Thanks! I love my hot tub! Thanks for being here :)