Black Pool

I have a 16x32, vinyl inground pool. I haven't opened it since 2009, when we took the cover off Monday, it was black. On Tuesday I added 5lbs. of shock, the filter has been running 24.7, the poolis still black. I also have air blowing out of one of the return lines, what can I do?

You probably have a lot of muck in there, and you can probably get at least some of it out with the net. Whatever comes out in the net, is that much that doesn't have to go through the filter.

You'll need a lot of chlorine, applied daily until it's all cleared up. I'd use liquid chlorine (pool store) aka plain unscented bleach (grocrey/big box store). the only difference is the pool-store stuff is 10-12% while the grocery stuff is 5-6%. Don't get "splashless" or scented or anything else, plain regular/ultra unscented.

If you are not in a hard-water area, you could also get away with using the powdered stuff if it's calcium hypochlorite. This will also increase your calcium hardness but if you use it just for this, not as your regular source of chlorine, it's probably not enough extra hardness to cause a problem. Make sure you don't use dichlor; that will send your CYA level through the roof and make it really hard to clean up your current mess.

Air blowing out the return means the pump is sucking air from somewhere. This could mean the intake pipes are clogged enough that it's sucking air through the seals, or it could be an actual leak.

Good luck...

--paulr