Laars Lt400 Leaks

I usually pride myself on being a heater guy but, I had an ut-oh yesterday. I had the heater running fine and in the process of heating the pool when I found out that my HVAC unit to my house quit blowing air. Turns out the squirrel fan fell off the motor shaft but, in the process of shutting off the power to my HVAC unit to fix the fan, I shut off the power to the pool pump instead. It took me about 10-15 seconds to realize my mistake and I quickly turned it back on again. I then noticed that the exhaust grill on the LAARS LT was heavily warped and there was water leaking out of the bottom. I assume that I've cracked or done something to the heat exchanger tubes. The burner assembly seems to still work fine. Any suggestions as to the extent of the damage and cost?

Mucho thanks!

Well, burners don't leak water, heat exchangers and headers do. The lack of a cool down may have warped something. How old is the heater?

Scott

WOW 15 seconds? LT's don't give you any time!

I doubt if you cracked the headers, or even a tube. More likely the leak is coming from where the flange bolts to the header You won't know for sure till you take it apart. But that's my guess.

The saga continues...........

I fired up the heater the other day the first time since I thought it "healed itself". The heater started up and I heard the gas valve click and then heard the whoosh of the typical flame. A few seconds later, the heater started to pop and dance around and sounded really scary. I turned the heater off and then tried it again after a few minutes........same thing. Since I knew there was something drastically wrong, I decided to take apart the heat exchanger. What I saw was....... the By-pass assembly between the HOT and COLD sides was shreaded. The spring and cup was in pieces. This explains why I was getting curved pieces of metal in my pool that I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. So, my best guess is that the water that was coming in from the filter in the COLD side was going right back out the HOT side without passing through the heat exchanger. So, the tubes were very hot from the flame and would get a splash of water every so often and flash to steam causing a severe hammer effect and the subsequent popping and dancing I observed.

I am not sure if any of the tubes are ruptured. Some of them are bent but, they seem to be built fairly stout. In order to test the integrity of the tubes, I decided to remove the heat exchanger and stand it up on its end. I kept one header attached. I then filled up the tubes to the top with water and will wait to see if any of the water leaks out. If it doesn't, I plan to reuse the tubes. Also, I noticed a broken piece on the header/manifold that holds the By-pass assembly. Hopefully, I won't have to buy a whole new heater.

Any place that sells this part the cheapest? Or anybody have a spare

R0326900 ZZOD5658 Front Header, w/ Hardware / Gaskets

that will fit the LAARS LT400?

I think when I posted initially, I thought the bottom of the Bypass valve was part of the header. However, I see from some of the part stores that the replacement comes with the part that screws into the black header. So, I think the header itself is okay. Although, I plan to replace both gaskets.

Your thoughts on the bent tubes?

The bent tubes, IMHO, indicate the pressure switch may have been stuck. That kind of a bend tells me not enough water went through the exchanger when the heater was firing and warped the tubes.

Scott

The bent tubes, IMHO, indicate the pressure switch may have been stuck. That kind of a bend tells me not enough water went through the exchanger when the heater was firing and warped the tubes.

Scott

That is what I thought. Is it okay to use warped tubes?

I tried to test the tubes by standing them on one end with one header on the bottom and filling up the tubes with water and waiting a while to see if the water leaked out. The water did leak out of half the tubes on the right. However, I think the gasket between the tubes and the bottom header is leaking. I have ordered two new gaskets and will try the test again. I supposed if I have a small leak, I can just use some silver solder and fill a pin hole or two.

Your thoughts?

I would expect the solder to go liquid when heated. Tubes are brazed.

I also expect that the warped tubes were what caused the leak. I doubt a new gasket will stop that. Relatively cheat fix if it works though.

Scott

Silver solder (5-10%) has a really high melting point. A simple butane (blue tank) torch will not melt it but, MAPP gas (yellow tank) will. Since the burner flame is not directly on the tubes I wouldn't expect the silver to melt. However, I may have bigger problems. Upon closer inspection of the headers, they appear to have suffered some heat damage. I'm open to suggestions.

P1020461.jpg

P1020460.jpg

Since this is your own and not a customer, right?

If its yours, turn it into an experiment(while you are saving up for a new one). I would start with high temp gasket sealer. It may or may not be stout enough to fill in the deficits. Run, and if it leaks note where the leaks are, mark the area, then when its apart, you know where to add more sealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the high temp gasket sealer seemed to do the trick. After getting the 'run around' for a header gasket from the PoolCenter.com, I had to buy the gasket from Parts4heating. I put everything back together and ran the heater for a while with no leaks..........AND, the heater cranked up the first try! This is a story with a happy ending...........thanks PClown!