Help With A Leak

photo.JPG

I have a hose leaking where it is glued in to the back of a jet (see photo). I tried a patch job but it didnt work. There is enough slack that I could replace the elbow and glue into it. Can anyone tell me what I am up against in pulling this elbow and replacing it?

could be a pain for ya. do this: cut the white pvc line, then cut it again to leave about a half inch gap between the jet body and the pipe, get a piece of clear tubing from lowes large enough to slip OVER the glue socket on the jet body and over the pipe you cut, put a screwing type clamp and pvc glue at both locations and there you go, turns a 2 hr pain into a 30 minute walk in the park.

You can try cutting the pipe loose, heating the glue socket, then carefully "peel" out the part that is glued in and couple to the jet line and glue it back but this works only 30% of the time, usually jet body breakage occurs though with this approach.

or you could cut both lines loose, unscrew the flange, and replace the entire jet body and re glue the lines.

Thanks for replying. Option 1 may work. Option 2 would probably require me to pull the jet body. If I went that route, I could just replace it and work on the old one at my leisure. That body just unscrews, and screw the new one on...with some sealant I suppose? I would like to get it up and running this weekend....is that a standard fitting?

yes, theres a flange on the shell side that screws into the body, or the body sticks through and is held by a nut on the back. and yes, RTV silicone should be used. some of these jets come with a gasket, if you use the gasket, do not silicone the gasket at all, putsome on the back where the nut goes only, if you silicone the gasket, it will leak like hell. Those are standard waterway jets. fyi: I never use the gasket, i always use RTV silicone. and i always wait at least 24 hrs before glueing the pipes back because once seated, you dont want it moving around while your working and its is drying.