Need Help. How To Move Spa Across Deck

Venams

Hi guys and gals. Hope this is the right forum.

I have an '08 Sundance Optima and it's been on my cedar deck since new. I'm replacing the now rotted cedar boards with Trex Transcend and it's very expensive.

My plan was to start at the outside of the deck and install the new Trex right up to the hot tub. Then move the hot tub onto the newly finished trex decking, remove the rest of the cedar, finish installing Trex and move hot tub back in place.

Problem: The Trex deck is very nice but it's embossed in plastic and scratches easily. How do I move the deck about 5 feet and then back without scratching the Trex deck.

I was thinking of laying some thick cardboard down but that might not slide with the tub and it may ultimately rip?

Suggestions??

The guys who moved my tub, used 1" schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit. They had about 30 short lengths of it and rolled the tub over them, picking them up as they came out the back and put them in front again. They moved the spa about 150 feet that way, over gravel and cement.

You could get away with less, after all, you are only going 5 feet.

Dave

And..... almost forgot. Move the spa onto the OLD deck and replace what's under it FIRST...then all you might scratch is the new trex deck when you move the spa back onto it...and it'll be cover by the spa anyways.

And..... almost forgot. Move the spa onto the OLD deck and replace what's under it FIRST...then all you might scratch is the new trex deck when you move the spa back onto it...and it'll be cover by the spa anyways.

Agreed with this approach!

Thanks for the help and replies.

Dr Spa. Your approach makes sense but I can't do that. I have to start the deck on the long end which is opposite where the spa sits. So I have to replace the deck as I approach the hot tub

Dave. Your scenario is interesting. I went to Home Depot last night and they sell 1" schedule 40 PVC for about 2 bucks per 10'. I was hoping I could just pick up about 6-8 rolls and use them to move the tub.

Question. Then I just have to wonder how to get the first pvc roll under the tub. I guess we just have to "dead lift" the front of the tub to get the first roll under. I only have my brother in law helping and I think that might be a tough pill! I believe dry weight is around 900 lbs!

Pick up one end with a long crowbar and a block of wood, and slip the PVC pipe under it.

I've moved my empty tub by myself, when I changed my mind about where I wanted it.

Dave

Question. Then I just have to wonder how to get the first pvc roll under the tub. I guess we just have to "dead lift" the front of the tub to get the first roll under. I only have my brother in law helping and I think that might be a tough pill! I believe dry weight is around 900 lbs!

Carefully lift each corner by inserting a 36" pry bar under the lip of the spa then insert a piece of 2 x 4 to support it. Once you have the corners supported , place the pvc under the spa then remove the 2 x 4 supports. Obviously easier with more help but can be done with 2 people. My Wife & I moved ours. I lifted the corners with the pry bar and she inserted the 2 x 4s

No disrespect Mr. Dave...

A 8 foot 1 x 2 works wonders when leverage is used wisely. Much better than a crow bar. The 8 ft. 1 x 2 length can easily work to ones advantage.

I can move my tub (5-6 person Coast empty) by myself with 1 x 2's and different shape boards or bricks to pry against. And, small heavy furniture dollies.

I just lift it a little at a time, inch by inch until I can slide the dolly under.

I roll the dolly on 4 ft. plywood.

I'm an old steamboat engineer, last time I checked, a Johnson bar was the reversing lever on a steam engine.

What's that got to do with moving a hot tub?

Dave

I use a johnson bar, google it.

Just curious. I googled the Johnson bar but I don't understand how I would use it to move the tube and if that would be easier than using the prybar?

The johnson bar alows me to lift, block, insert pvc rollers and move a tub on a hard smooth surface by myself.

Johnson bar, more commonly known as a pry truck. They cost $150 to $200.

A pry bar is cheaper and will get the job done.

Dave

The johnson bar alows me to lift, block, insert pvc rollers and move a tub on a hard smooth surface by myself.

If I was in the busness of moving spas, then yes, a "Johnson Bar" would be a wise investment.

For the rest of us, who move spas once or twice in our lifetime, a good sized pry bar from Lowes or Home Depot will work just fine. Yes it is actually possible by yourself but it's safer with a second person.

I almost find it hard to believe that a home owner would not own one!! The're a very useful tool to have around the house.

That Trex marks fairly easily. I would still put plywood down on roll it over the plywood on the part of the deck that will be exposed.

When I was a kid (long time ago and before pvc) my Dad owned a Cleaning Plant and I would watch him move really heavy equipment using just 3 or 4 pipes. Don't know exactly how he would get the equipment up on the pipes, but I can remember him rolling it off one pipe and moving it to the front. I've used that method several times to move heavy stuff, but never moved my hot tub. If I would have ever had to, that would have been the method I would use.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guy is Who Moved my bathtub, use 1 "Schedule 40 PVC conduit. They have a short length of about 30 and rolled over bathtub, they singled out because they are behind and on the front, theyagain and they moved to Hot Springs is about 150 feet, and more gravel and cement.