Questioning The Dealer

My 2003 Marquis has a Balboa model MTSUV control box. Yesterday everything quit but the control box has power. No hum. No control lights, etc. Everything dead.

The authorized dealer can't come out to look at this for a week.

I read online that a spa as old as mine should probaby have the spa pack replaced as opposed to replacing individual parts (assuming the problem is related to the control box) The dealer told me they don't sell "spa packs" but will gladly sell me all the individual parts required. This seems quite expensive.

How does this sound to you pros who deal with this all the time?

Also, any ideas on how a noob could diagnose this problem prior to the repair guy coming out next week?

Thanks.

Fuses good. Power good.

It appears an entire pack (including heater, circuit board, control box, topside digital control panel, and the required hardware) does not cost that much more than a replacement circuit board - at least on the net.

http://www.hottubworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=B54218-Z

I'm moderately handy, but a complete replacement project would be beyond my skills. So I'm somewhat at the mercy of the authorized dealer. Hence the question.

That's what I call a management decision. If the dealer is meeting internet pricing, you're doing well.

However, that type of decision has much to do with how much you enjoy the spa. If you love the shell, the placement of jets, get use out of it, and the rest of the spa is in good condition.. sure, go ahead and replace the pack.

Typically, we'll just replace what's broken. But buying the pack and heater together on a ten year old spa makes sense- the heater is probably next on the list of things to fail, and buying the heater and pack as one unit saves $$ on vs buying them separately.

Thanks PreservedSwine. (There's GOT to be a story behind that name!)

This gives me good information to discuss options when the repair guy comes out. Good point about not fixing what's not broken, but I'll see about whatever "package" pricing may be useful.

We love this marquis euphoria. Use it all the time. Struggled for years with water management until finding these excellent forums.

I guess I can absorb a repair bill due to all the money saved from needless chemicals and gimmicks. :-)

I appreciate all you guys who work in this business that contribute your time.

Hey Binary

I am with you on this one, if it is any more serious than a fuse or PS switch and you are looking at a board replacement, absolutely replace the system.

Buy the VS 501 retrofit kit, it comes with everything including the pump wires, and top side template, they are a snap to fit and take about 20 minutes to an hour. and can be had fr $600-700