Humming Pool Pump

I opened my inground pool today and went to turn on the pump and it just hummed. I turned it off and checked the breaker, etc. I turned it back on and tapped the back portion of the motor thinking that would maybe "jar" it. It did not.

When I turned it on again it sparked and smoked a little bit right under where the capacitor is located on the back plate. Have I screwed up my motor or does the capacitor sometimes do that?

Well, I tested the capacitor and it still has voltage. Pulling the motor tomorrow to see if it is seized, etc. Will let you know for future reeference. Luckily my brother-in-law is a HVAC technician and can get me a motor at his cost.

I wiill post a new thread on the advantages/disadvantages of possibly upgrading to a higher hp motor.

There are lots of reasons to not do that. It isn't an upgrade. Changing the motor to a smaller size with a smaller impeller frequently is though. Always change the seal set too.

Scott

The reason why motors hum is because they don't know the words. :lol:

If the motor turns freely then your caps are toast. Luckily, they are cheap! Your HVAC connection will be able to get you one off his truck. There is also the possibility that it is not the cap itself but, the wire to the cap instead. You can re-terminate the wire and you'll be good to go.