Wouldn't Testing These 4 Parameters Suffice?

Hi,

Been reading the forum a bit more now.

The following question rose to my mind.

Wouldn't testing these 4 parameters suffice (for my pool).

My pool being plastic above ground, outdoors and no splashing, pH elevating fountains or such.

CYA: test CYA to reach optimum level.

pH: test the pH and correct pH with hydrochloric acid or sodium bicarbonate when necessary.

FC: test FC and correct with bleach.

TA: test and correct with sodium bicarbonate.

The amounts of HCl, NaCO3, trichlor and bleach needed will be calculated with pool calculator.

'Correct' me if i'm wrong,

Tim

Hi,

Been reading the forum a bit more now.

The following question rose to my mind.

Wouldn't testing these 4 parameters suffice (for my pool).

My pool being plastic above ground, outdoors and no splashing, pH elevating fountains or such.

CYA: test CYA to reach optimum level.

pH: test the pH and correct pH with hydrochloric acid or sodium bicarbonate when necessary.

It would be better to raise pH with borax than baking soda. If you are using prmarily bleach then you will probalby have very little need to raise pH. If you are using trichlor then you will need to raise both pH and TA on a regular basis.

FC: test FC and correct with bleach.

TA: test and correct with sodium bicarbonate.

The amounts of HCl, NaCO3, trichlor and bleach needed will be calculated with pool calculator.

'Correct' me if i'm wrong,

Tim

While it is true that you do not need to worry about low calcium hardness with a vinyl pool you still need to know the calcium hardness of your water. If it is low it's not a problem but if it is high you could have problem when you try and raise TA, use calcium hypochlorite, or have a pH spike so you should still monitor the calcium levels even if you do not need to add calcium if iit is low.

The K-2006 is going to be the most inexpensive way to get an FAS-DPD chlorine test, pH test with acid and base demand and built in chlorine neutralizer, total alkalinity test with blended indicator (so the endpoint color change is easy to see) and CYA test. Consider the calcium hardness test a freebie since this test kit will make your testing very easy. You might want to check out Taylor's videos of how the tests are done. Click on the pool/sap link in the upper left corner and then scroll down and select the videos you want to view.