Cloudy Pool

I opened my 11,000 gal AG pool due to warm weather in the Northeast & it was turning green. I shocked it. Green is gone but water is cloudy but appears to be balanced. Been keeping the FC at shock level thinking that it would clear but it hasn't. Today's readings are as follows from my Taylor test kit:

FC: 10.0

CC: .4

pH: 7.2

TA: 100

CH: 50 (low - but I have a vinyl pool so I don't even usually test this)

CYA: 40 (not sure if cloudy water affects that reading)

After those readings I added liquid chlorine to raise chlorine level back up to 15 ppm in an effort to keep it at shock level. I use 12% liquid chlorine for chlorine.

I did try a clarifier & a floc, which has been suggested to me is making the problem worse so I have stopped that. I have vacuumed pool, vacuumed to waste & also backwashed and filter is running. Any other chemistry issues? If I just keep filtering will it eventually clear?

The other suggestion is that my pump is too big for my filter. 1.5 HP Hayward HP Power-Flo economy pump for above ground pools. Filter is a W. Cooper Industries Ranger Series Sand Filter Model RS1815 & the multiport valve model number is TM-12-L. The valve size on this model is 1 1/2", tank diameter is 18" & the turnover rate is 12,760 gallons per 8 hours. I've just never had an issue with the pump & filter before. They're both relatively new.

• 3 months later...

Hey there.

After shocking a pool containing algae it is common to have the dead algae remain in the pool, as it is too fine to be filtered.

If it is a milky color, this can be confirmed.

Clarifier will definitely cloud up your water for about 24 hours before it is all filtered through. This chemical is used as a floc, and allows the fine particals to be filtered.

You do have quite a large filter in comparison to your pool size, however it should not override your filter, or cause problems with water chemistry.

Hope this helps

OakParts

• 10 months later...

Just replying to unreplied posts, without the assumption that they have solved their problem completely.

Also, this gives a chance for future questions under the same subject to be answered.

I do not get a chance to remain constantly updated with this site, so the responses at times can be a little 'dated'.

Apologies for this late reply.

• 7 months later...