For Those Who Have Converted From Salt To Tablets

TXGlenn

My Jandy Aquapure salt cell is going out and rather than replacing it, I am debating on scrapping the salt system and just going with a traditional chlorine tablet system.

The salt system has turned into a pain for me because it ususally ends up someting like this:

1. I check the chlorine level and then adjust the chlorine production according to my "best guess" as to what needs to happen

2. Check again the next day only to find chlorine level still not sufficient, increase chlorine production

3. Check again the following day to find salt level now too low. Add salt and turn off chlorine production

4. The next day, turn back on chlorine production

5. The next day chlorine level way behind now..adjust based on my best guess

6. Find production level too high, lower it

This is typical and rather than spend at least $800 on a new salt cell, I like the idea of spending $100 on an in-line chlorine set-up and just dropping tabs in every week or so.

For those who have done this conversion, do you regret it? How much are you spending on chlorine every month and where is the best place to get tablets?

realize that using trichlor tabs will cause your CYa levels to rise and could lead to an overstabilized pool. If you have a cartridge filter it is NOT a good idea. If you have a sand filter that you backwash regularly it might be a workable solution IF you closely monitor the CYA and adjust the FC level accordingly with either liquid chlorine or unstabilized granular (cal hypo or lithiium hypochlorite).

I am curious where your CYA level was when you were using the salt system.

I am also curios why your salt level would drop too low in just two days. Unless you had a leak and were constantly topping off or had a defective autofill the salt levels should stay pretty stable

If your having to work that hard with your salt system there is something out of balance. You should not be having that much problems. Most often we find the reason people are having a problem is user error due to improper training. Be certain your ph level is at the proper level 7.2 -7.4, keep your CYA at 40ppm, also test your free chlorine and combined (total) chlorine if your combined chlorine is 1ppm or more higher than your free chlorine your pool needs to be shocked.

As far as how much it will cost you in tablets there are several variables it is hard to get a accurate cost on this. You might spend $40 a month while your neighbor spends $20.

What I can tell you is that the problems you are having will still exist with chlorine tablets until you fix the underlying problem.

Oh one more thing you should not be spending $800 plus on replacement cell. What system do you have?

If your having to work that hard with your salt system there is something out of balance. You should not be having that much problems. Most often we find the reason people are having a problem is user error due to improper training. Be certain your ph level is at the proper level 7.2 -7.4,

For a SWCG it is better to keep the pH at 7.6-7.8

keep your CYA at 40ppm,

This is wrong, Jandy recommends 50-75 ppm CYA and it is always best to keep CYA at the recommended MAXIMUM since this will indirectly translate into better pH stability (explanation is somewhat lengthy).

also test your free chlorine and combined (total) chlorine if your combined chlorine is 1ppm or more higher than your free chlorine your pool needs to be shocked.

Combined chlorine and total chlorine are different things. You do not shock FC you shock a pool. Salt pools rarely need shocking, btw.

As far as how much it will cost you in tablets there are several variables it is hard to get a accurate cost on this. You might spend $40 a month while your neighbor spends $20.

What I can tell you is that the problems you are having will still exist with chlorine tablets until you fix the underlying problem.

Oh one more thing you should not be spending $800 plus on replacement cell. What system do you have?

The OP stated that he had a Jandy Aquapure system. I agree that $800 is high for a replacement cell. The 1400 cell should be under $700 and the 700 cell around $500 or so.