Oops, Help -- Added Cal-Carb Ph Up And Cal-Hypo Shock At Same Time

jb0ne

Yes I had a brain fart. And I'm very much a noob at this stuff. Recent thunderstorm, and I hadn't checked my chemicals in a while, we had a nice sunny day so I decided to get the pool ready for use. I checked and had no chlorine (test kit doesn't differentiate between free and total), ph 7.2, TA 120. This is a 3500 gal vinyl sided endless pool. I recall being told because it's vinyl I need to run my pH levels in the higher range -- 7.6 to 7.8.

Well, I put a chlorine pellet in, but I also shocked it, the shock was calcium hypochlorite. I had a brain fart and also addded ph up at the same time -- calcium carbonate. Of course everything turned white. From the littte I can recall of high school chem I suspect I've made a bunch of calcium ions or insoluble calcium compounds (calcium hydroxide and calcium carbonate?) . I know, it was stupid of me, I know I'm only supposed to do one chem at a time and wait a day, I just totally messed up.

What should I do now?? I've left my filter on, but it is it getting now gunked up with insoluble calcium compounds? I live in an area with no calcium in the water naturally (Hawaii) so have never had to worry about hard water or too much calcium, until now.

Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed? Should I turn off the filter, drain 1/3 the water, and re-fill, to dilute everything, then start over? Or give it 24 hours (with/without filter?) and see if it clears up?

Thanks in advance!

You made calcium carbonate, aka scale, aka chalk. The pH up is sodium carbonate and the high pH caused it to react with the calcium in your water. A full set of test results would be helpful here but usually all you have to do is drop the pH and redissolve it. With a vinyl pool you do not want the pH to go below 7.0 or a good test kit with an acid demand test would be useful. My suggestion is to get yourself a Taylor K-2006 (NOT the K-2005) and take it from there.

For calcium carbonate to precipitate out like this you need to have high pH, high calcium and high TA, Adding cal hypo and soda ash (sodium carbonate, pH up) together is a sure recipe for that.