Sundance Optima 2012 Pricing

Hi,

We live on Long Island and have visited a couple of different dealers in our area. The manufacturers we have considered include Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Caldera and Sundance. Today, we visited the Sundance dealership in our area and were very impressed with the dealer and their reputation. In addition, we felt comfortable that the Sundance product was of good quality. I've searched and can't seem to locate anyone from the Northeast that has purchased a Sundance spa that would be comfortable in comparing recent purchase prices. We have been quoted $10,000 for a 2012 Optima (no radio/no tax), $9700 for a 2011 Optima (radio/no tax) that has been sitting in in the showroom and $7995 for a 2012 Chelsee (no radio/no tax). My gut tells me that all of these selections are priced at $1000 more than they should be, but I could be off the mark. I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks,

Lou

Garcias171 - Don't know if I can be of much help and hopefly those more knowledgable than me about this matter will have something to say. But when I was shoping for tubs a few years back I too looked at the Optima and Chelsea as strong candidates. My price for a new current year Optima out here on the west coast was going to be about 10K without radio, which i would not have wanted. The Chelsea was cheaper by 2-3K but I hesitate to say how much as I can't remember.

I had no luck getting our local dealer to drop the price. Prices vary throughout the country but I would be surprised if you could get them to knock $1000 off of those prices. I was able to negotiate quite successfully with other dealers but there were two that I shopped that did not negotiate. They always had some kind of special sale, but the price was always the same.

If you are trying to get the most for your $ it is often easier to get dealers to provide somethig as part of the deal. $100 worth of options or product costs them far less than $100 but saves you $100. Just make sure it is something you really want. In my case my dealer threw in an extra filter which I appeciate because I can quickly swap in a clean one at a water change and soak and rinse the old one over a couple of days.

Spawn-Thanks so much for responding. It was at least comforting to hear from someone else out there that we were quoted what seems to be a legitimate price for the Optima. So, I guess that is the model you purchased as well? If so, would you mind sharing with me what model year Optima you purchased and your experience with the model? Are you happy with your decision? Thanks again for your input. We went to see a 2012 Twilight 8.35 yesterday and were impressed with the jets on this model. Although, I haven't heard good things about Master Spa so I am hesitant to even consider the Twilight as a contender. We are going to see a Marquis spa tomorrow (The Reward) and a Calder Spa (Salina and Niagara). Did you shop any of these models? I think our issue is that we are not happy with the models available in the $8K range, but aren't willing to go as high as $10K. Wish there was something in between. Look forward to hearing from you and thanks again!

Edited by garcias171

We just bought a 2012 Optima about a month ago, still haven't taken delivery. We paid 10,600 plus tax, this included the usuals plus upgraded SunGlow steps and a drink tray.

We live in the Midwest so prices might be slightly different. Seems like that's a good price.

This has been the longest 4-6 weeks of my life! Can't wait to start soaking! We absolutely love the Optima, gave us the best hydrotherapy out of all the tubs we tested (Jacuzzi, HS, Marquis and Limelight).

Hope this helps.

We went to see a 2012 Twilight 8.35 yesterday and were impressed with the jets on this model. Although, I haven't heard good things about Master Spa so I am hesitant to even consider the Twilight as a contender. We are going to see a Marquis spa tomorrow (The Reward) and a Calder Spa (Salina and Niagara). Did you shop any of these models? I think our issue is that we are not happy with the models available in the $8K range, but aren't willing to go as high as $10K. Wish there was something in between. Look forward to hearing from you and thanks again!

I would definietly put Marquis and Caldera above a Master. I'd also look closely at D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance if they're in your area. I think you should be able to find plenty of options at less than 10k.

garcias171 - Buying a spa is an interesting process. Before we started shopping I had never met a tub I didn't like - just grab your beverage and join your friends. However when we started shopping I really tuned in to the differences and realized how much better some fit me, and my wife, than others. We did a lot of wet testing and it took quite awhile before we sorted things out. In general, we did not want a lounger and preferred to have foot jets - you will find some to be more effective than others.

I believe that all of the following brands and tubs are good quality and if your local dealer is sound, could be a good choice. Hot Springs did not seem to fit us right and while some really enjoy the moto-massage I didn't fully appreciate it. I liked Marquis, but it seemed only a couple of seats worked well for my wife. Did not shop Caldera. Beachcomber too deep for my wife. After much process the tubs we liked best were, in order D1 Nautilus, Jacuzzi J365 and Sundance Optima (you may want to check out their Majesta too, in addition to the Chelsea which we also liked). I can't remember the details but prices were pretty similar and we decided to go with the Nautilus at that time. However, I wanted to do a major backyard remodel project so we waited on the purchase.

Meanwhile the economy crashed and while I could probably buy any tub that I want I have three kids in private colleges out of state so these days I am a very much bang for the buck type of guy. By the time we were ready to buy, our original D1 dealer had folded and we contacted a different, long established dealer a little further away. Prices had changed, as we got updates from the dealers but the biggest difference was that the D1 Nautiuls was cheaper than previously. I think it would have cost around $8,000 to $8,300 if we had gone with it. In the end we got a very simple one-pump, one filter tub with fewer jets and we love it. It is the D1 Arena which some do not even consider because it is round. It is bigger than most round tubs and perfect for the two of us and when occassionally a couple of friends join us (we are suits on, these days!). My daughters have had seven in it but no way it works unless you are a teenager. We paid $6000.

Anyway, I don't intend this as an advertisement for the tub we bought, just explaining our process. I think you are on track with the brands you are checking. As for Master, a friend of mine has one he bought at one of those shows but has been happy with it. From what I hear, if you go with Master - watch price and make sure you know (contact them and confirm / discuss before purchasing) who would take care of you for warranty work and repairs.

• 1 month later...

Here's the quote I got from the local dealer in Mammoth Lakes, CA. They only sell Sundance. I decided not to get the stereo and instead get outside wireless speakers, and I am going to try to get them to throw in the cold wrap and knock off the delivery charge since they are only about a mile away. Also, since I will be getting the Covana, they will knock off another $250 for the cover I won't need. Still looks like I have room to negotiate based on what others upthread have paid.

Option 1 – Sundance “Optima” 880 series - approx. total $13,417.92 (with out crane cost/labor)

Spa $10,780.00 (this reflects a $1,000.00 discount off the sale price, MSRP $14,670.00)

Stereo upgrade $1,049.00 (MSRP $1,380)

Eco Seal Cold Weather Package Upgrade $299.00 (MSRP $345.00)

Tax $939.92

Ship $350.00

Crane $400.00 (2 hr. min @ $200 per hour)

Crane labor $380.00 (4 guys 1 hr each @ $95.00)

• 3 months later...