Raypak P-R406A Spa Vs Pool Mode

qgradek

I have a raypak P-R406A natural gas heater 400000 btu connected to a pool and spa and a hayward goldline control system. When I turn the thermostat up on my control system to heat the pool in the pool mode, it kicks the heater on. But the heater goes on in "spa" mode on the display. I am not sure, but I suspect that this is causing the pool to not heat properly. IE it does not seem to heat up the pool well. Am i right? Is there a difference between pool and spa mode on the heater that will matter? IF so, how do I get my system to turn the heater on in pool mode instead of spa mode when I want to heat the pool and not the spa. It does fine and properly works when I am heating the spa. I want it to turn the heater on in spa mode when im heating the spa(which it currently does). And if instead I am heating the pool, I want it to turn on the heater in the heaters display saying "pool" instead of "spa". Pool and spa are on the same heater/one system with an overflow spa. Currently I have to put the heater in manual mode to get the heater on in pool mode.

Q

The pool and spa modes on the heater are simply two different set temps for those without automation. Setting each to 104 degrees allows the automation system to control the temperature regardless of the mode on the heater.

Scott

When the automation system has control of the heater, the gas unit is set at it's highest temp of 104 degrees and will fire regardless of whether it is heating the pool or spa. Your automation system opens and closes the circuit to your heater and controls the individual temperatures you set for pool and spa. The settings menu of your Goldline system will allow you to adjust the individual pool and spa settings. Depending on your pool and location though it isn't unreasonable to only get 1 or 2 degrees an hour this time of year. Your heater is probably working just fine but needs a solar blanket or something to keep the heat in