Technichlor

Hot Tub Lover

I have an old hot tub. It came with the house. It's in great shape, but it's almost 30 years old. The date on it says 1983. i don't know the maintenance history, but everything seems to work fine; heater, jets, lights, etc... It has been taken care of impeccably.

There are no "pumps". The old owner said when I run the jets, it causes a vacuum that sucks water into the filter. That's how the water goes through the filter. There is a flap-type door between the main tub and the filter compartment. When the jets run, the water pressure causes this flap to open, allowing water in the filter compartment.

My wife complains the tub smells like bromine and won't go in. I have been researching bromine alternatives and found "TechniChlor", a plug-and-play salt water chlorine maker.

Can this be used with an older model hot tub that doesn't have pumps that circulate the water continuously? The water only circulates when the jets are on, which is when I use it, once per day in the summer, for about 45 minutes.

Any feedback on this? The solution sounds great and it has great reviews. Plus, after initial setup, it looks more maintenance-free, since it determines how much chlorine to make and uses minimal salt. But can it be used if the water only circulates once per day?

Thanks for any feedback you may have on this.

• 4 months later...