Recommendations For First Time Buyer

LCAinSA

Hello all,

I've just joined the forum after looking at some of the posts and determining that this is a good place to ask my questions. (I was a bit doubtful after seeing all the spam posts, but I see that this is a periodic problem and hopefully this spike you are experiencing dies down soon!)

I bought a new home in Texas a little over a year ago, and now that I'm retired from the military, I expect to stay in it for a while. I've always wanted a hot tub, but never owned one before. I'm looking for some advice and recommendations on buying and installing a hot tub. I'll try to be specific in my questions where I can be, and hopefully will provide enough information to elicit some good advice/recommendations.

I'm a female in my mid-50s, single (hopefully that's not TMI!), and my elderly mother (91) lives with me. She would not be using the hot tub at all. I don't anticipate having any hot tub parties, and at most I can see maximum 4 people in the hot tub, but most often it would likely be just me, or up to 3 people at a time, when family members come over. I've looked at a few 3 person spas, but would definitely consider a medium-sized 4-5 person spa. I've only seriously browsed the Internet so far, have not been to any dealers, but something on the order of the Sundance Marin seems like it might be a good size option. I tend to like the look/layout of the 4-5 person spas I've seen over the 2-3 person spas (I would like one lounger/reclined seat in the spa).

I've looked at several web sites and tried to find recommendations on brands on the Internet, and of course there are lots of opinions, but it would be helpful if anyone could help me narrow it down by indicating some quality brands for a mid-range (price-wise) portable spa. I would appreciate any advice on brands to stay away from as well! Additionally, if anyone has any recommendations for dealers to work with in the San Antonio area, that would be terrific! (I'm on the north side, if that helps)

I should mention that I'm not opposed to buying a used spa, especially since it would likely be cheaper than a brand new one, and I suppose it's possible that I might decide I'm not as nuts about owning one as I thought. Would anyone recommend that over buying a new one?

Lastly, I currently have a 12' slab patio, and want to install a deck over it that will likely be 25'-30' wide and about 15' deep. I will likely go with composite decking, and am wondering as to whether it's better to pour an additional pad for the hot tub (I don't want the hot tub where the current slab is) and build the deck around it, or to put the spa on the deck itself. Putting it on the deck itself would potentially be a plus if at some point I do decide that I don't want to keep the spa.

Hopefully I've provided enough information to garner some good recommendations/advice. Any other tips for a first time buyer are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you are looking at a used spa make sure it is running and up to temp or walk away.WET TEST any new spa that you like.Sales guys will tel you anything to sell you a spa.Non-circ or circ pump is always a debate here,i like them and have a JACUZZI myself.Read all that you can on any spa that you like. did i mention WET TEST.ensure the dealer you buy from has a service department,ask around check them out.think twice before you buy from a traveling spa show and don't sign anything under pressure,wait a day or two ..good luck and keep us posted on you venture

Regarding having the spa in the deck or on it, here are a couple of points to consider:

1) On the deck requires some pretty beefy construction. Be sure you comply with your local code requirements to satisfy the weight of the spa (with water and people in it).

2) Mine sits on a slab in a octagon gazebo with the floor of the gazebo built up 2' high around the spa. All construction is screwed so that it can be fairly easily disassembled for maintenance or removal. In my case, I have a plywood floor with indoor/outdoor carpet but you could do the same with Trex or other composite decking. I like it sunken into the deck this way because the spa doesn't stick out so much and it's easier to get in and out of. The equipment side of the spa is exposed to the rear for accessibility.

As far as brands, I have a Marquis and it works fine. Mine does not have a circ pump (nor did the Sundance that I had for over 20 years). Definitely decide whether you really like the lounge seat. Many people float off of them (especially with the jets on). Wet testing is a good idea. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get a spa without the lounge seat.

LCAinSA,

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for info. Once you decide on a hot tub, be sure to read all the "hot topics" in the Hot Tub Water Chemistry subsection (under POOL/SPA Water Care).

I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions as to which hot tub manufacturers are better/best. Most people have their favorites. If you read enough posts, you'll discover there are about 6-8 brands that are routinely recommended, e.g., Sundance, HotSprings, Dimension 1 (D1), Jacuzzi, Marguis, Artesian, Caldera, etc.

Here are some thoughts and general suggestions that might help narrow your search.

1. I recommend you buy a tub made by one of the recommended reputable manufacturers. They have survived in a tough business for a long time with reason. They all have different model 'levels' to accommodate different price points. Consider i) who will be the primary users, ii) how you/they intend to use the tub, and iii) pick a manufacturer's model that fits the primary users' needs, purposes, and budget.

2. New v. Used. Lots of issues here, but the main advantage of buying new tub from a reputable manufacturer is the tub's operation is a relatively known quantity and you get a warranty. The obvious disadvantage...it costs more money than a used tub.

The obvious advantage of a used tub is...it's cheaper, but you have no idea how well it's been maintained or what's been done to it and there is no warranty*. The tub's warranty is limited to the original owner...it does not transfer. A used tub is an unknown quantity. If you buy I used tub, I hope you're a DIYer because you're likely to be spending a lot of time and money fixing a used tub (rather than soaking in it)...unless you're very familiar with the particular tub, its owner and its maintenance history and know first hand it's been well-maintained. If you're not a DIYer, then you will probably be better off getting a new tub. If purchased from a local dealer, they will deliver it, set it up and help you get started.

*there might be a limited warranty available if the 'used' tub were purchased through a dealer.

3. Research the hot tub dealerships in your area. Your dealer is important. You're going to have your tub for many, many years. No matter which tub you buy, you'll need customer assistance and service some time during the life of the tub. You want a dealer that is reputable, knowledgeable, reliable and (hopefully) nearby. Distance adds time and costs for service calls and parts pickup/delivery.

Not all the generally recommended hot tub manufacturers may have dealerships in your area. It probably isn't wise to fall in love with a tub that has no local techy. If possible, try to fall in love with a brand from a local dealership with a good customer service reputation.

4. Whatever tub you buy, new or used, you need to wet-test the tub. This is so important it should be a requirement. This is doubly true for a lounger. Loungers do not fit everyone comfortably. The lounger takes up a lot of space so you want to make sure it's worth the sacrifice.

If a dealer/seller is unable or unwilling to allow you to wet-test the tub you want to purchase, don't buy it from that dealer or, at the very least, get a 30-day period (better yet 60-day) return option in writing that guarantees your right to return the tub, at dealer's costs and expense, and which guarantees a full refund of your purchase price and all related expenses from the date of delivery and setup.

5. The number of people a tub can hold, as listed by the manufacturer, is the maximum that the tub is designed for. That number does not necessarily mean full-sized adults. The number of people who comfortably fit into a tub will be less than the capacity listed by the manufacturer.

You mentioned having four people in the tub. I don't know how often you would be entertaining with your tub, but four people in a mid-sized tub, particularly one with a lounger will get cozy very fast. For example, I own a Sundance Optima (which I highly recommend for its hydrotherapy). It's a "6-7 person" capacity tub. Four (4) adults can sit in that tub very comfortably (one adult in each of the corner seats). However, once you get more than 4 adults in the tub, you're going to bump butts, shoulders, elbows and feet...that's not necessarily a bad thing. This is another reason wet-testing is so important. Wet-testing can give you a sense of occupancy possibilities as well as realities.

First timers who are not sure how much they'll really use their hot tub, will often start with a smaller tub (because smaller is also less money). When it's time to finally replace that first tub, most people purchase a bigger tub without hesitation. If you're torn between two tubs but think one is too big, go with the bigger tub (providing your physical space where your setting the tub will accommodate it).

6. There are differing opinions regarding the benefits of a separate circulation pump. I think it's the way to go, if you have the option. The circulation pump on my tub was 'standard' equipment. I operate it 24/7. The nice feature about a separate circulation pump, particularly if your tub is equipped with an ozonator, is that circulation IS possible and desirable 24/7. Circulation is quieter than via the jet pumps and at lower cost, relatively speaking. Without a separate circulation pump, the jets pump(s) provide the needed circulation to maintain good water chemistry. But because the jet pumps are considerably noisier and more costly to operate, those pumps are not run 24/7, but at intervals.

7. I know cost is always a factor. But keep in mind that you will have your tub for 10+ years. It will be a sizeable investment (no matter what price range is right for you). If you're conflicted between two tubs...one you really want but which is more money than you intended to spend; the other you can 'live' with but is more affordable, my recommendation is...get the more expensive tub that you really want. Over the life of the tub, that initial added expense will end up being a very small average yearly increase over the "more affordable" tub you could just 'live with'.

8. Read the Hot Tub Water Chemistry subsection materials and learn for yourself what constitutes good hot tub water chemistry and how to maintain it. Most new hot tub owners assume their dealer knows about proper sanitized water and they rely on their dealers for information and advice. However, from the many recurring problems, questions, and complaints brought to this forum from hot tub owners following the advice of their dealers, it is clear many dealers are misinformed, uneducated and untrained in proper hot tub water chemistry and maintenance. Contrary to your natural inclinations, you can't assume your dealer, just because he/she is a dealer, is properly educated in this vital area of hot tub ownership. Once you own a hot tub, you owe it to yourself, your health and safety, to learn the basics. The stuff is not difficult to learn, it's quite interesting, and you don't have to rely on other peoples results...you have control.

Just my thoughts and opinions. They're not even worth $0.02...they're free (which means they're worth exactly what you paid for them). Good luck with your search. I hope you find the perfect tub for you.

gman B)

If you are looking at a used spa make sure it is running and up to temp or walk away.WET TEST any new spa that you like.Sales guys will tel you anything to sell you a spa.Non-circ or circ pump is always a debate here,i like them and have a JACUZZI myself.Read all that you can on any spa that you like. did i mention WET TEST.ensure the dealer you buy from has a service department,ask around check them out.think twice before you buy from a traveling spa show and don't sign anything under pressure,wait a day or two ..good luck and keep us posted on you venture

I hadn't intended to go to a spa show, and I'm working on a list of dealers in my area. Fortunately, San Antonio is large enough that most of the major brands mentioned favorably in these forums have local dealers. The farthest away is the Marquis dealer in Austin, but that's less than 100 miles away, and from the comments I'm seeing on the forums, that's not unreasonable for service calls.

I fully intend to wet test once I've done some initial research - that looks like a constant and very sound piece of advice on the forum!

Regarding having the spa in the deck or on it, here are a couple of points to consider:

1) On the deck requires some pretty beefy construction. Be sure you comply with your local code requirements to satisfy the weight of the spa (with water and people in it).

2) Mine sits on a slab in a octagon gazebo with the floor of the gazebo built up 2' high around the spa. All construction is screwed so that it can be fairly easily disassembled for maintenance or removal. In my case, I have a plywood floor with indoor/outdoor carpet but you could do the same with Trex or other composite decking. I like it sunken into the deck this way because the spa doesn't stick out so much and it's easier to get in and out of. The equipment side of the spa is exposed to the rear for accessibility.

As far as brands, I have a Marquis and it works fine. Mine does not have a circ pump (nor did the Sundance that I had for over 20 years). Definitely decide whether you really like the lounge seat. Many people float off of them (especially with the jets on). Wet testing is a good idea. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get a spa without the lounge seat.

I definitely need to check the code requirements, and I'm required to submit my deck plan to the HOA for approval before I do it, so that could come into play as well. Thanks for bringing up that it's easier to get into if the deck is built around it. My yard is fairly level and it's only one step down coming out the back door, but my intent is to cover that step, which means the hot tub could sit a good foot below the deck surface (right now I'm not planning a multi-level deck), and that would probably help.

Thanks for the input on the wet testing with a lounge seat, I hadn't thought about the potential floating issue.

...I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions as to which hot tub manufacturers are better/best. Most people have their favorites. If you read enough posts, you'll discover there are about 6-8 brands that are routinely recommended, e.g., Sundance, HotSprings, Dimension 1 (D1), Jacuzzi, Marguis, Artesian, Caldera, etc.

2. New v. Used. Lots of issues here, but the main advantage of buying new tub from a reputable manufacturer is the tub's operation is a relatively known quantity and you get a warranty. The obvious disadvantage...it costs more money than a used tub.

The obvious advantage of a used tub is...it's cheaper, but you have no idea how well it's been maintained or what's been done to it and there is no warranty*. The tub's warranty is limited to the original owner...it does not transfer. A used tub is an unknown quantity. If you buy I used tub, I hope you're a DIYer because you're likely to be spending a lot of time and money fixing a used tub (rather than soaking in it)...unless you're very familiar with the particular tub, its owner and its maintenance history and know first hand it's been well-maintained. If you're not a DIYer, then you will probably be better off getting a new tub. If purchased from a local dealer, they will deliver it, set it up and help you get started.

*there might be a limited warranty available if the 'used' tub were purchased through a dealer...

3. Research the hot tub dealerships in your area. Your dealer is important. You're going to have your tub for many, many years. No matter which tub you buy, you'll need customer assistance and service some time during the life of the tub. You want a dealer that is reputable, knowledgeable, reliable and (hopefully) nearby. Distance adds time and costs for service calls and parts pickup/delivery...

4. Whatever tub you buy, new or used, you need to wet-test the tub. This is so important it should be a requirement. This is doubly true for a lounger. Loungers do not fit everyone comfortably. The lounger takes up a lot of space so you want to make sure it's worth the sacrifice.

If a dealer/seller is unable or unwilling to allow you to wet-test the tub you want to purchase, don't buy it from that dealer or, at the very least, get a 30-day period (better yet 60-day) return option in writing that guarantees your right to return the tub, at dealer's costs and expense, and which guarantees a full refund of your purchase price and all related expenses from the date of delivery and setup.

5. ...First timers who are not sure how much they'll really use their hot tub, will often start with a smaller tub (because smaller is also less money). When it's time to finally replace that first tub, most people purchase a bigger tub without hesitation. If you're torn between two tubs but think one is too big, go with the bigger tub (providing your physical space where your setting the tub will accommodate it)...

6. There are differing opinions regarding the benefits of a separate circulation pump. I think it's the way to go, if you have the option. The circulation pump on my tub was 'standard' equipment. I operate it 24/7. The nice feature about a separate circulation pump, particularly if your tub is equipped with an ozonator, is that circulation IS possible and desirable 24/7. Circulation is quieter than via the jet pumps and at lower cost, relatively speaking. Without a separate circulation pump, the jets pump(s) provide the needed circulation to maintain good water chemistry. But because the jet pumps are considerably noisier and more costly to operate, those pumps are not run 24/7, but at intervals.

gman B)

Gman, thanks for the great response, you mentioned a lot of things to consider. I tend to be a *buy new* kind of person precisely because of warranties, and also because if it's pre-owned, it may be new to me, but it's not new, so it's possible that I'd experience issues sooner than I would with a new one.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the size issue, I was concerned about buying more than I need, but I feel a bit more comfortable about looking at larger hot tubs based on your comments.

I haven't started looking at all yet, mostly doing some research, but as I said above, I've identified local dealers for all the major brands that I've seen routinely recommended in my forum reading: Marquis, Sundance, Caldera, Dimension One, Jacuzzi, Artesian. I've looked at all their web sites online and for the most part picked a small and a medium that I might be interested in. I'll probably start some initial visits to some of the dealers this week, and do some reading on the separate circulation pump.

One thing I neglected to mention above is that I routinely spend my summers out of state, so I wouldn't be using my hot tub at all during those months (unless my sister convinces me to leave it filled so she can use it!) I know if I were to leave it filled and nobody is around to put chemicals in, that would be bad! Are there any considerations I might want to make regarding the type of circulation or other factors to consider because I'll be gone 4 months out of the year?

Thanks again!

Gman, thanks for the great response, you mentioned a lot of things to consider. I tend to be a *buy new* kind of person precisely because of warranties, and also because if it's pre-owned, it may be new to me, but it's not new, so it's possible that I'd experience issues sooner than I would with a new one.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the size issue, I was concerned about buying more than I need, but I feel a bit more comfortable about looking at larger hot tubs based on your comments.

I haven't started looking at all yet, mostly doing some research, but as I said above, I've identified local dealers for all the major brands that I've seen routinely recommended in my forum reading: Marquis, Sundance, Caldera, Dimension One, Jacuzzi, Artesian. I've looked at all their web sites online and for the most part picked a small and a medium that I might be interested in. I'll probably start some initial visits to some of the dealers this week, and do some reading on the separate circulation pump.

One thing I neglected to mention above is that I routinely spend my summers out of state, so I wouldn't be using my hot tub at all during those months (unless my sister convinces me to leave it filled so she can use it!) I know if I were to leave it filled and nobody is around to put chemicals in, that would be bad! Are there any considerations I might want to make regarding the type of circulation or other factors to consider because I'll be gone 4 months out of the year?

Thanks again!

Let me preface my comments by saying there are many great tubs out there from many excellent manufacturers. You'll find commonality among them, but each will have features relatively 'unique' to that brand. I chose the Sundance Optima because hydrotherapy was important to me and when I was shopping, Sundance had/has a reputation for good hydrotherapy. One feature that I particularly like about the Sundance Optima (2009), which is fairly unique to that tub is the foot jets. Not all tubs have foot jets and those that do are usually fairly limited. The design in the Optima (from 2009 on) offers very practical and functional foot jets...better than I'd seen in other tubs. It's a feature almost all of my guests have appreciated and commented about. I've mentioned Sundance's unique foot jet design before...many times on this forum. I apologize for repeating the same opinion once again. But, this feature was a factor (of many) that 'tipped' the scales in favor of Sundance over other brands. I think it's a feature that deserves attention, particularly if you're like me (interested in good hydrotherapy and likes a good foot massage). BTW, I shopped (wet-tested) HotSprings, D1, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Artesian, and others in my search for a tub. They all had pluses and minuses. Of course, my needs and preferences may not be anything akin to yours. Also, I have not been hot tub shopping for a couple of years. Designs, options, and features may have changed in the interim.

My other piece of advise is this....when wet-testing each tub, please allow yourself enough time to casually soak and experiment in each seat position of each tub. Play with the controls and try to spend time sensing the hydrotherapy with different water pressure, partial jets, etc.

I always liked car-shopping. Most people when they test drive a car will familiarize themselves with the controls, know where the lights, wipers, horn, emergency lights are...adjust the seat and mirrors appropriately, find the blinds spots, make sure all the lights work...then drive it on different roads (highway, city, paved, unpaved, etc.) and if possible, different weather conditions to see how it handles and responds. Try viewing wet-testing a hot tub like test-driving a car. Wet-testing a hot tub is not a direct comparison, but your approach to wet-testing should be similar. I liked hot tub shopping. Some people think its a chore. I viewed it as a thoroughly interesting learning adventure. If possible, try to wet-test several tubs on the same day so your sensory memory is fresher. You'll notice the comfort differences more readily that way.

(My usual disclaimer) I'm not an agent, employee, dealer, or spa tech for any hot tub manufacturer. I have no connection, business or personal, to Sundance or any hot tub company, except as a consumer.

Good luck. :D

gman B)

Thanks again!

If gone for 4 months I would drain and clean it if no one is around to use it and care for it. Talk to the dealer about how to proplery do this. Its a common thing when people shut down for the winter. Those people have to be thorough to stop freezing of water left in the lines. You want to be just as thorough so you don't leave much water in the pumbing that can get stagnant.

Visit your local dealers and ask a lt of questions. There are a lot of top brands out there such as Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance. Make sure you're buying from a dealer who you trust (use your instincts based on how they respond to your questions as much as anything).

I was in the same position you are 2 years ago and about the same age!! We were building a deck and knew we wanted a hot tub. Decided to put the tub ON the deck so made sure that the construction was completed with that variable in mind. We access the tub by using steps and then stepping over the side into the tub. THis is actually quite easy to do. I looked at a number of brands and narrowed down choices based on my experience shopping with local dealers. I ended up with a D1 Californian - it says it seats 6 but it is really probably only comfortable for 4 as it does have a lounger. I thought I'd use the lounger a lot but i don't and I really prefer the corner seat. The D1 has a 24 hour circulation pump and this does seem to help with keeping the water decent. I have had 2 problems with the tub - both related to the "M Drive" (the topside controls). Both times, the dealer was here promptly and replaced the part (apparently there was a bad batch of those controls). that problem occurred in the first year and I have not had any problems since.

THe decision making and shopping was a bit stressful but every time i sit in the tub i am really thankful and know I made a great purchase!!

Good luck!!