Our First Hot Tub

islanders

Hi folks -

Am so glad to have found this forum as my husband and I are shopping around for our first hot tub. We've had recommendations from friends and have visited a few dealers. Two models jump out at us so far: Bullfrog 552 and Sundance Cameo. We're emptynesters and semi-retired. If anyone has advice or experience with these models, I'd love to hear it. Or if you want to suggest others by Sundance or Bullfrog that we should be looking at, please do! Beachcomber has also been recommended to us. We're looking for a 5 or 6 person tub. We haven't done any wet tests yet but that will certainly be on the agenda. Thanks!

Hi folks -

Am so glad to have found this forum as my husband and I are shopping around for our first hot tub. We've had recommendations from friends and have visited a few dealers. Two models jump out at us so far: Bullfrog 552 and Sundance Cameo. We're emptynesters and semi-retired. If anyone has advice or experience with these models, I'd love to hear it. Or if you want to suggest others by Sundance or Bullfrog that we should be looking at, please do! Beachcomber has also been recommended to us. We're looking for a 5 or 6 person tub. We haven't done any wet tests yet but that will certainly be on the agenda. Thanks!

You have mentioned 3 good brands...now the key is finding the right tub for your needs and a dealer you feel good about...get past all the marketing and sales pitches...set a reasonable budget...and have at her...the shopping experience should not be frustrating...have fun and good luck.

Hi folks -

You have mentioned 3 good brands...now the key is finding the right tub for your needs and a dealer you feel good about...get past all the marketing and sales pitches...set a reasonable budget...and have at her...the shopping experience should not be frustrating...have fun and good luck.

If you have Dimension one dealer near you? If so it may be worth checking out. I love D1 spas and the tech service is great. :rolleyes:

I would agree you have picked some good brands. the dealer can make the difference on a great experience, and support, I would also check out your local D1 dealer . Each of the brands you have looked at all have different points, Sundance uses a horizontal filter ( the only one) beachcomber uses the pumps and guts under the high step, Bullfrog uses the different attachments that I would want to swap out in 10 degree weather.

islanders,

Since you asked for suggestions of other spas from Sundance or Bullfrog, I thought I'd chime in. I'm not familiar with Bullfrog spas, but I do own a Sundance Optima (2009) and I'm familiar with this hot tub. I suggest you consider the Sundance Optima if your looking for a 5-6 person hot tub.

Below are my thoughts (influenced, of course, by my personal preferences). Your personal preferences may be different and the Optima might not be right for you. You may have already considered the issues I raise below. If not, perhaps I'll provide you with food for thought. In any event, good luck with your hot tub search and acquisition. BTW, for purposes of full disclosure...I'm not a spa dealer, spa repairman or service tech. I'm not affiliated with any hot tub manufacturer. I'm just a happy consumer.

The Optima alternative:

1. The Optima is similar in size to the Cameo, but the Optima does not have a lounger. If a lounger is a key feature for you, the Optima will not be for you.

2. If the lounger is not essential in your tub design, but a large tub (5-6 person) is, then consider that:

a) Tub manufacturers give you the 'maximum' recommended person capacity. Although the Sundance Optima is advertised as a 6-7 person tub, as a practical matter, the Optima will only hold 4 adults comfortably (i.e., without playing bumper tag). Once you get more than 4 adults in the tub, then you'll be playing footsies and rubbing butts and shoulders together with other tubbers (which may (or may not) be what you want...a double-edged sword). :D

B) A lounger takes up a lot of space. If you intend to entertain a lot with your hot tub, you'll lose one seating space with a lounger. The Cameo is advertised as a 5-6 person tub. With the 'lounger' your 'comfortable' capacity will be three.

c) The Optima has 'central' foot jets. I love the Optima foot jets and their unique practical design. It was one of the 'deciding' factors in my tub choice.

Many tubs do not have 'central' foot jets. Those that do (and don't hold me to this)... if tubs have foot jets, they're typically at one position only. 'Lounge' tubs typically have foot jets, but usually only at the lounge seat. With tubs that have 'central' foot jets, the typical configuration is a half-moon 'dome' in the center of the tub's foot-well. The dome has 4 jets aimed at the corner seats (the 'premium' seats). I found tubs with this type of central foot jet configuration difficult to walk in because the dome takes up most of the foot-well and you can't step on the dome because of its shape.

The Optima has a unique design that includes 8 small jets. Although these jets are available to all positions, they essentially provide two jets for each of the corner 'premium' seat positions (which is great because I have two feet). The jets are set in a large flat-topped configuration that is slightly raised. The flat top is large enough that an adult can stand on it easily. And because it is only slightly raised, should you step on the edge, you're not thrown so severely off balance as with the 'dome'. If foot jets are a consideration, the Optima provides more central foot jets in a design that is better and safer than the half-moon 'dome' style (IMHO). BTW, the half-moon dome style was used by Sundance in the Optima up to 2009.

An added benefit...I can stretch out (float) across the Optima and the foot jets will massage the backs of my legs. So, essentially, I have a 'lounger' without sacrificing the seat space.

3. If a lounger is essential to your tub, keep in mind that each tub's lounger is designed differently, even within the same manufacturer. The lounger will not fit everyone the same. Wet testing is 'required' for ANY tub (IMHO), but this is particularly true with a 'lounger'. Given the lounger does eat up valuable space, you want to make sure the primary users will fit its configuration.

Good luck with your search. I hope this helps a little. Happy tubbing.

gman B)

We have seen the Bullfrog spas made in Salt Lake City. They are genuine USA (not China)

The beauty is they use no wood nor fibre glass. Mostly ABS construction. They have 2 speed pumps which deliver the same amount of jetting to all the seats, no diverters. 90% of the plumbing (especially the 552) is in the removeable Jetpaks therefore the plumbing has a lifetime warranty as it is so accessible and not buried in the cabinet in foam! Jetpaks also leave more room in the cabinet for insulation. They also allow users to switch the massage therapy from one seat to another so you can tailor make your spa so your favourite seat has your favourite jets. You can even purchase additional Paks for your requirements. This is the only spa on the market that does this.

Most Bullfrog seat configurations can be quite deep however which is a consideration. The emphasis is also on quality and massage therapy rather than the gadget end of pop up items and disco lighting. Bullfrog used Bose marine media which is higher end cost wise.

If your spa choice if for a 'social disco' then maybe the Bullfrog is not for you. If however you need targeted aqua therapy in a quality, efficient non rotting spa then you cannot beat the Bullfrog.

We have seen the Bullfrog spas made in Salt Lake City. They are genuine USA (not China)

The beauty is they use no wood nor fibre glass. Mostly ABS construction. They have 2 speed pumps which deliver the same amount of jetting to all the seats, no diverters. 90% of the plumbing (especially the 552) is in the removeable Jetpaks therefore the plumbing has a lifetime warranty as it is so accessible and not buried in the cabinet in foam! Jetpaks also leave more room in the cabinet for insulation. They also allow users to switch the massage therapy from one seat to another so you can tailor make your spa so your favourite seat has your favourite jets. You can even purchase additional Paks for your requirements. This is the only spa on the market that does this.

Most Bullfrog seat configurations can be quite deep however which is a consideration. The emphasis is also on quality and massage therapy rather than the gadget end of pop up items and disco lighting. Bullfrog used Bose marine media which is higher end cost wise.

If your spa choice if for a 'social disco' then maybe the Bullfrog is not for you. If however you need targeted aqua therapy in a quality, efficient non rotting spa then you cannot beat the Bullfrog.

Wow, sounds like a sales pitch. I personaly think the jet packs are a gimic that you will never use after the honeymoon.

Wow, sounds like a sales pitch. I personaly think the jet packs are a gimic that you will never use after the honeymoon.

"the beauty is there is no wood or fiberglass". When did wood and fiberglass become substandard products to use? I guess I missed that bulletin lol.

"The emphasis is also on quality and massage therapy rather than the gadget end of pop up items and disco lighting." " Others can say the same thing about Sundance, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Hot Springs, Marquis, D1... In fact every spa maker says that so Bullfrog just saying it too doesn’t make them any better than the other well regarded makers I mentioned that many of us would put in that category.

"Bullfrog used Bose marine media which is higher end cost wise." LOL, right after he blasts “gadgets and disco lighting” the next sentence has to do with touting the speakers they use? Umm, music in spas is a sales gimmick similar to disco lighting in spas and fountains and ... not that there is anything wrong with any of them if thats what the customer wants I guess but spare us the hypocrisy of bringing up your speakers as though they’re different that underwater spa lighting and other gadgets.

As far as the jet packs go, they are a sales gimmick plain and simple. They don't make the spa better, just different. Its a unique gimmick though so I'll give them points for originality but those things are VERY expensive and owners are not going to be swapping them out like its made out to be.

did they ever do something to stop the water from behind these jet packs from going skankie from lack of circulation?

Actually seeing as someone else brought it up... when compared side by side... Bullfrog shouldn't even be in the running. As of 4 years ago I would have considered a Softtub before Bullfrog. The things that look good now become the headaches later. IMHO, if you are at all serious about a hottub, you should just avoid the Yugo of hottubs.

gman, thanks for your great info on the Sundance Optima. I'll chat with my dealer about it and look further online. Your description of the lounger and the space that it takes up, plus the foot jets found on the Optima, are good points for me to keep in mind. Thanks so much.

islanders,

Since you asked for suggestions of other spas from Sundance or Bullfrog, I thought I'd chime in. I'm not familiar with Bullfrog spas, but I do own a Sundance Optima (2009) and I'm familiar with this hot tub. I suggest you consider the Sundance Optima if your looking for a 5-6 person hot tub.

Below are my thoughts (influenced, of course, by my personal preferences). Your personal preferences may be different and the Optima might not be right for you. You may have already considered the issues I raise below. If not, perhaps I'll provide you with food for thought. In any event, good luck with your hot tub search and acquisition. BTW, for purposes of full disclosure...I'm not a spa dealer, spa repairman or service tech. I'm not affiliated with any hot tub manufacturer. I'm just a happy consumer.

The Optima alternative:

1. The Optima is similar in size to the Cameo, but the Optima does not have a lounger. If a lounger is a key feature for you, the Optima will not be for you.

2. If the lounger is not essential in your tub design, but a large tub (5-6 person) is, then consider that:

a) Tub manufacturers give you the 'maximum' recommended person capacity. Although the Sundance Optima is advertised as a 6-7 person tub, as a practical matter, the Optima will only hold 4 adults comfortably (i.e., without playing bumper tag). Once you get more than 4 adults in the tub, then you'll be playing footsies and rubbing butts and shoulders together with other tubbers (which may (or may not) be what you want...a double-edged sword). :D

B) A lounger takes up a lot of space. If you intend to entertain a lot with your hot tub, you'll lose one seating space with a lounger. The Cameo is advertised as a 5-6 person tub. With the 'lounger' your 'comfortable' capacity will be three.

c) The Optima has 'central' foot jets. I love the Optima foot jets and their unique practical design. It was one of the 'deciding' factors in my tub choice.

Many tubs do not have 'central' foot jets. Those that do (and don't hold me to this)... if tubs have foot jets, they're typically at one position only. 'Lounge' tubs typically have foot jets, but usually only at the lounge seat. With tubs that have 'central' foot jets, the typical configuration is a half-moon 'dome' in the center of the tub's foot-well. The dome has 4 jets aimed at the corner seats (the 'premium' seats). I found tubs with this type of central foot jet configuration difficult to walk in because the dome takes up most of the foot-well and you can't step on the dome because of its shape.

The Optima has a unique design that includes 8 small jets. Although these jets are available to all positions, they essentially provide two jets for each of the corner 'premium' seat positions (which is great because I have two feet). The jets are set in a large flat-topped configuration that is slightly raised. The flat top is large enough that an adult can stand on it easily. And because it is only slightly raised, should you step on the edge, you're not thrown so severely off balance as with the 'dome'. If foot jets are a consideration, the Optima provides more central foot jets in a design that is better and safer than the half-moon 'dome' style (IMHO). BTW, the half-moon dome style was used by Sundance in the Optima up to 2009.

An added benefit...I can stretch out (float) across the Optima and the foot jets will massage the backs of my legs. So, essentially, I have a 'lounger' without sacrificing the seat space.

3. If a lounger is essential to your tub, keep in mind that each tub's lounger is designed differently, even within the same manufacturer. The lounger will not fit everyone the same. Wet testing is 'required' for ANY tub (IMHO), but this is particularly true with a 'lounger'. Given the lounger does eat up valuable space, you want to make sure the primary users will fit its configuration.

Good luck with your search. I hope this helps a little. Happy tubbing.

gman B)

Good thoughts, thanks. I was thinking that Bullfrog looked a little gimmicky, though the sales pitch can be persuasive!

Actually seeing as someone else brought it up... when compared side by side... Bullfrog shouldn't even be in the running. As of 4 years ago I would have considered a Softtub before Bullfrog. The things that look good now become the headaches later. IMHO, if you are at all serious about a hottub, you should just avoid the Yugo of hottubs.

We don't have a D1 dealer in my area. I'm going to pick up the search again and look further at Sundance and Beachcomber. H2O is also sold here - it's a Canadian company from Delta, BC. Anyone on here have experience with them? Thanks :)

I would agree you have picked some good brands. the dealer can make the difference on a great experience, and support, I would also check out your local D1 dealer . Each of the brands you have looked at all have different points, Sundance uses a horizontal filter ( the only one) beachcomber uses the pumps and guts under the high step, Bullfrog uses the different attachments that I would want to swap out in 10 degree weather.