Decontaminate Brand New Tub?

WuhWuzzat

Is this necessary? It seems most do not, but after reading about the issues a member was having in the other thread I'm wondering if its just good insurance. Or perhaps as WB suggested, just raising the FC to an elevated level would be sufficient? Opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Tub should be here this week!

For a brand new tub, it should be decontaminated in some way -- either Spa System Flush or super-chlorination. If you don't do that then your first fill is much more likely to have problems, especially a high oxidizer demand, and the water won't last very long. The good news is that you only have to do this once. If you then maintain your tub properly, you should never have to decontaminate again.

I'm in agreement with chem geek. Although the "Hot Topics" Decontamination procedure recommends decontamination for 'used' tubs, I think it should be used whenever you have a hot tub where the cleanliness status is unknown, whether the tub is new or used.

Although it's natural to assume that a new tub will be spotless, here are a few reasons for decontaminating a 'new' tub...

1. No matter how clean the surface of a new tub appears, there will be residual manufacturing solvents, oils, etc., in the pipes and pumps from the manufacturing and installation of the tub's components. These will typically appear on your first fill as a 'scum line' at the top of your water. The specific amount of these residual solvents found in any new tub is an unknown, but there will be some.

2. The manufacturer water test their tubs for quality control purposes. Although the manufacturer will drain the tubs before packaging and shipping, unless the pipes and pumps are blown out thoroughly, there is still likely to be residual water remaining inside. This water is a source for bacteria and bio-film formation. There will be bacteria in the tub. How severe is also unknown.

3. Many of the major hot tub manufacturers are located on the west coast, yet the tubs are shipped all over the world. Between the manufacturing plant/storage facility to the eventual staging place (home), a tub may pass through a variety of environments and temperature changes while in transit. Even when the manufacturer does a good thorough job of cleaning and drying the tub, condensation from these temperature changes can form within the tub, which will also be a source of bacteria/bio-film growth.

I think it's well worth the extra time and effort to perform the decontamination protocol on a new tub. As chem geek mentioned, you're more likely to have water problems if you don't decontaminate and it's a one-time process if you keep your water well balanced and maintained. If you do decontaminate, you're more likely to get the water results you expect and you'll enjoy greater peace of mind knowing your first soak is with not just clear water, but balanced and sanitized water.

BTW, I also recommend you use a pre-filter stick on your hose when your filling your tub for your first soak. No need to use the pre-filter stick for the decontamination protocol.

Good luck.

gman B)

2a. The water the manufacturers use for wet testing their spas is recycled. Pumped into a spa for testing, then back into a holding tank, then into the next spa to be tested...over and over. How this water is sanitized is anyone's guess.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I will be decontaminating the tub.

Gman, you mention using a pre-filter "stick". I assume this is some sort of mechanical filtering device that threads onto the outlet of your hose. Where can I purchase one of these and is there a certain type/brand you recommend?

Thanks for the replies.

Gman, you mention using a pre-filter "stick". I assume this is some sort of mechanical filtering device that threads onto the outlet of your hose. Where can I purchase one of these and is there a certain type/brand you recommend?

Spa fill filters or "spa sticks" are filters that screw on the end of the garden hose and contain carbon and a metal removing resin such as "green sand" or a synthetic resin. Some only contain carbon, which is pretty useless in a spa fill filter since all the carbon will do is remove chlorine and you are going to be adding it anyway. Make sure the one you get does contain the metal removing resin since that is their value. If your fill water does not contain metals you really do not need one.

Many spa dealers carry them, particularly in areas where it is beneficial to prefilter the fill water because of metals, or you can get them from several internet dealers.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I will be decontaminating the tub.

WuhWuzzat,

You are correct. It is a filter devise that connects to your hose. It is not mechanical per se, unless you think the hose connection fitting on the end makes this mechanical. The pre-filter stick is a micro filter and will collect some of the metal contaminants in your water as you fill your tub. There are basically two 'styles'. One style has the filter 'open' (no casing), while the other style has the filter encased in a plastic tube. EcoOne and Pure fill are examples of the second style. The encased filters are a bit more expensive than the open style.

I've only used the open style, which typically goes for about $20-$25 from your local dealer. The encased variety runs about $30 - $35. You can find these online from most pool/spa supply distributors for less money, usually between $10 - $25, but then you have shipping charges. Each distributor will have its own price, but I usually find the open pre-filter stick online for about $10.00. I can't say for sure because I've never checked who manufactures these sticks, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the pre-filter 'open' sticks advertised and sold by the various distributors are all made by the same company. So I don't think you'll get much different quality of product if you pay $10 or $30.

Since many of the distributors (like SpaDepot, PoolGeek, Hot Tub Warehouse, et al) will provide free shipping when ordering over X-dollars of products, I usually buy my stick online when I'm purchasing other spa supplies and get the free shipping and save a little money.

The pre-filter stick is not required, but I highly recommend it. I hope this helps.

gman B)

I spoke with my spa dealer this afternoon and they do carry a metal removing pre-filter that attaches to your hose. They assured me that they will include 1 upon delivery of the tub.

Here's another scenario I'd appreciate some input on: I have an IG pool that's closed up for the season with a loop-loc mesh safety cover. I need lower the water level a bit before the freeze sets in and I'm wondering if it's advisable to use the pool water for my flush/decon? The only potential issue I see is with the salt content which I estimate to be 2000-2500ppm. Would this level of salinity adversely effect any of the tubs components in the short time it is cycled through?