wrinkles in liner - help needed

jrw

My pool is only 2 years old. This summer I noticed a lot of wrinkles coming in the liner. I contacted the company that installed the pool and was told this was caused by improper PH balance. I had never heard of this and was never told that this could happen. We know lots of people that have had pools for years, only watch their chlorine levels and have never had this problem. I watch my chlorine levels and thought I was doing a good job at maintaining my pool. I have check the web and now see that this is possible. The question now is how do I fix it? I have a kreepy crawler to vacuum the pool, but it keeps getting stuck on the wrinkles. If the PH balance is corrected, will these wrinkles disappear or do I have to empty the pool and do something with the liner?? Also I have had repaired a mechanical seal problem in the pump and a leak in the heater. I now have another leak that looks like it is coming from the core.

sounds like lowwwwwww ph problems. just cause the pool is clear doesn't mean it's balanced.

when your pool was installed did the installer discover a high water table? was a pump running in the excavated hole during the pol building process? If that's the case, a "floating" liner may be a continual battle down the road.

eating a heater core in a year or two may be one way of learning. find a BioGuard pool products dealer/ or other who can test your pool water and get it balanced.

• 5 weeks later...

My pool is only 2 years old. This summer I noticed a lot of wrinkles coming in the liner. I contacted the company that installed the pool and was told this was caused by improper PH balance. I had never heard of this and was never told that this could happen. We know lots of people that have had pools for years, only watch their chlorine levels and have never had this problem. I watch my chlorine levels and thought I was doing a good job at maintaining my pool. I have check the web and now see that this is possible. The question now is how do I fix it? I have a kreepy crawler to vacuum the pool, but it keeps getting stuck on the wrinkles. If the PH balance is corrected, will these wrinkles disappear or do I have to empty the pool and do something with the liner?? Also I have had repaired a mechanical seal problem in the pump and a leak in the heater. I now have another leak that looks like it is coming from the core.

where are the wrinkles. if they are concentrated around the skimmer throats, main drain cover, or near the returns, then it could be waaaaaayyyyyy tooooo much chlorine.

I have also seen where people have covered a vinyl pool with a solid winter cover and left a floating chlorine dispenser loaded with 3" stabilized tabs. that will do it too. if the wrinkles are very hard and brittle, then that could be it.

by the way, no liner company will warranty any issue if they can help it. The only thing I have ever seen them warranty is a split seam. even then, the builder won't want to change it because the liner manufacturers totally short change them on the warranty labor.