Must Winterize 18' Metal Frame Pool How?

Denny

Our Intex pool is a round 18' metal frame. Probably should not leave up for winter but have no choice now. How can we get it ready for winter? Chemicals and amounts, covers, how much water left in? We removed everything attached to the pool and put in the plugs. So it is just the pool and water. We have never done this before and none of the post address this type of pool. Help please! It is now too cold to take down the pool. It is 3 years old and we fear it will tear. My husband drained and cleaned for days around labor day. Working 3 jobs and just didn't get to finish. Now we need to do this in Nov. and buy chemicals and covers. Thank you!

Intex answers this question on thier Website:

http://faq.intexstore.com/faqsup/pub/FaqSupportServlet?action=home&country=USA&frmcontact=&hid_windowname=

Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't provide too much help other than basicaly saying, an Intex pool can be winterized.

I have a conventtional above ground pool (21' Esther Williams round) and do not have any experience with Intex pools, but here's what I do (and since thier FAQ simpley says add the appropriate amount of chemicals, it looks like this shold be fine) I would clean/vacum the pool, remove the ladder, drain to just below the inlet/outlet/skimmer/ disconnect the pump (store indoors) plug the hose inlet/outlet and skimmer and then add winter chemicals. You local pool supply store (I go to NAMCO) can set you up with the proper chemicals. I would shock the pool, add 1 gal of winterizer and string a chlorine float acrosss the top. I also add an inflatable pillow to support the winter cover.

I am uncertain on what to do for a cover. You can google "intex winter cover" and get a debris cover for about $30 that covers the pool to keep leaves and sticks out. It looks like it secures around the pool with a rope. However, it seems you are late in the year and in a rush and may not be able to wait to recieve a cover mail order. (?)

I do not know if putting a convetional winter cover on your intex pool is a good idea or not. I am concerned because a typical winter cover ($40-60) does not let the water drain through it and accumulates on the top. I do not know if an Intex pool frame can suuport a winter cover with rain water, ice, winter snow on it. I am also concerned that a conventional winter cover cinches around the pool with a wire cable and ratchet. This gets very tight. Once again, can an intex frame can withstand this? Sorry, but I just don't know. Perhaps a call to Intex would help?

Some folks don't cover thier pool. I cannot speak to this if it's a good idea or not. I've always covered my pools with a water proof cover.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Intex answers this question on thier Website:

http://faq.intexstore.com/faqsup/pub/FaqSupportServlet?action=home&country=USA&frmcontact=&hid_windowname=

Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't provide too much help other than basicaly saying, an Intex pool can be winterized.

I have a conventtional above ground pool (21' Esther Williams round) and do not have any experience with Intex pools, but here's what I do (and since thier FAQ simpley says add the appropriate amount of chemicals, it looks like this shold be fine) I would clean/vacum the pool, remove the ladder, drain to just below the inlet/outlet/skimmer/ disconnect the pump (store indoors) plug the hose inlet/outlet and skimmer and then add winter chemicals. You local pool supply store (I go to NAMCO) can set you up with the proper chemicals. I would shock the pool, add 1 gal of winterizer and string a chlorine float acrosss the top. I also add an inflatable pillow to support the winter cover.

I am uncertain on what to do for a cover. You can google "intex winter cover" and get a debris cover for about $30 that covers the pool to keep leaves and sticks out. It looks like it secures around the pool with a rope. However, it seems you are late in the year and in a rush and may not be able to wait to recieve a cover mail order. (?)

I do not know if putting a convetional winter cover on your intex pool is a good idea or not. I am concerned because a typical winter cover ($40-60) does not let the water drain through it and accumulates on the top. I do not know if an Intex pool frame can suuport a winter cover with rain water, ice, winter snow on it. I am also concerned that a conventional winter cover cinches around the pool with a wire cable and ratchet. This gets very tight. Once again, can an intex frame can withstand this? Sorry, but I just don't know. Perhaps a call to Intex would help?

Some folks don't cover thier pool. I cannot speak to this if it's a good idea or not. I've always covered my pools with a water proof cover.

Good luck.

Wow thank you for your help. You really have me wondering how this will all work out when you mentioned snow and ice; weight on the cover. I will have to consider the options. We have finished winterizing and the cover is holding water after much rain. Thank you for some clarity.

Dee

• 8 months later...