Dreammaker Average Pump Life

Mark SC

For Spa_Guru or other techs, what is the average pump life you see for Dreammaker spas? Specifically, I have a 2 hp Waterway pump (March 2010) that works fine, so this is a curiosity and budgeting question as much as anything. I can't seem to find the pump's replacement model anywhere on the web. It seems to be unique to my spa, as Dreammaker advertises 1.5 hp for its pumps. In any case, I would think that Dreammaker pumps work pretty hard since they are one speed and there is no heater (mine is on an average of perhaps 4 hours daily).

Any other issues you often see with Dreammaker that I should watch out for? I replaced the topside and control boxes this year with Balboa Mach 7 (under warranty, thankfully).

The #1 killer of pumps is poor water chemistry, specifically over-chlorination.

Well, I guess that may explain why Marquis, Strong, and many other Spa manufacturers exclude seals and gaskets from their warranty, is it sounds like user error, rather than poor design or workmanship cause the failure. Or is it something else that tends to fail in the pumps?

The #1 killer of pumps is poor water chemistry, specifically over-chlorination.

Well, I guess that may explain why Marquis, Strong, and many other Spa manufacturers exclude seals and gaskets from their warranty, is it sounds like user error, rather than poor design or workmanship cause the failure. Or is it something else that tends to fail in the pumps?

Every spa manufacturer we service makes no such exclusions. (Hot Springs, Leisure Bay, Dimension One, Jacuzzi) Though they do deny water components ruined by poor water chemistry.

But what Guru said is 100% accurate- most pump failures occur from water chemistry leaks on the shaft seal. Next on the list would be a bad capacitor. Even "cheap" motors are built well enough to last 10+ years if you catch the shaft seal leak in time, should one develop. I consider the pump one of the longer lasting components in the spa, regardless of manufacturer, assuming a trashed shaft seal doesn't ruin it. Even then, you can many times just replace the bearings.

A Dreammaker warranty I found online states:

"This warranty does not apply to wearable items such as filter elements, fuses, pump seals, spa

cover, and rotating jet internals."

are pump seals wearable and a normally replaced part - ie every 2 years replace them? Are they user replacable, by a reasonably handy (but not expert) person?

The Jacuzzi warranty exclusion states:

"...failure to maintain proper water chemistry and chemical balance..."

and with Spa_Guru's statement "The #1 killer of pumps is poor water chemistry"

Couldn't Jacuzzi (or any other manufacturer with that same exclusion) deny warranty coverage on the pump for this very reason?

The seals used by manufacturers vary, Viton seals are more durable, but even standard seals can go 10+ years with proper water chemistry.

When I say excessive levels of Chlorine/Bromine, I mean levels in excess of manufacturer's reccomended amounts.

It is not uncommon at all to find a home hot tub with ten times the level of chlorine needed to kill germs.

Read directions, follow them.

ANY seal from ANY manufacturer can be destroyed by poor chemistry.

ALL manufacturers will void your warranty if you abuse or neglect your spa READ your warranty, they will ALL tell you the written warranty is your ONLY warranty regardless of who promised you anything that is not on it.

Spa dealer promises = worth exactly zip.