Tell Me Why I Should Not Get A Hot Tub !

crabio

My wife and I have decided to make the leap into the hot tub arena and I've seen all the stories and fact sheets related to why hot tubs are great but what I can't seem to find is the opposite.

And this may not be the best place to ask but I am struggling with whether I am really a hot tub person.

So ... if you had to compile a list of reasons for a person to NOT buy a hot tub, what would that list look like ?

And then I have 2 questions:

1) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing you spent extra money on that you look back on and say, "Well, THAT was a waste of <insert dollar figure>"

2) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing that you look back on and say, "Man I wish we had went ahead and spent the extra <insert dollar figure> and gotten <insert item/service>"

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reasons not to own a hot tub:

* You can't be bothered with or commit to the testing and upkeep. Yes, it is a wonderful thing to have, but there is a work component to it too (but it becomes easy once you figure out how to get everything just right in your tub). No dealer mentions this to anyone until after it's bought; up front they act like these things take care of themselves.

* If you are not the type to commit to closely monitoring and addressing water balance and sanitation, you could end up slightly sick, badly sick, or worse.

* Because you're neighbour has one and you just want to keep up with the Jones'

* You can't deal with the trip to and from the tub in cold weather (or going back out to oxidize/sanitize and strap the cover back on in the winter), if applicable to where you live.

* You'll generate a lot of towel laundry...lol.

Things not to waste money on:

* Fancy spa shop chemicals, which are mostly nothing more than common grocery store items repackaged as specialty products and loaded with fillers.

* Lights

Things to spend on:

* Getting exactly the spa you want. Don't settle for fewer jets, smaller size, layout, etc., for the sake of $$$. It's a luxury good, something to enjoy, and something you (hopefully) will buy once in ten years. Be sure to wet test.

My wife and I have decided to make the leap into the hot tub arena and I've seen all the stories and fact sheets related to why hot tubs are great but what I can't seem to find is the opposite.

And this may not be the best place to ask but I am struggling with whether I am really a hot tub person.

So ... if you had to compile a list of reasons for a person to NOT buy a hot tub, what would that list look like ?

And then I have 2 questions:

1) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing you spent extra money on that you look back on and say, "Well, THAT was a waste of <insert dollar figure>"

2) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing that you look back on and say, "Man I wish we had went ahead and spent the extra <insert dollar figure> and gotten <insert item/service>"

Thanks in advance for your help.

Why NOT to get a hot tub?

Because a decent one will cost you $8K PLUS the cost of an electrical install, plus a pad, plust steps, plus chemicals

Electrical costs will go up. Not much, but a few hundred bucks a year.

After a few years you will have to replace a cover, maybe a pump or a heater.

So Hot tubs do cost a lot of money.

You've got to keep the water clean.

Will you use it?

I have been tubbin for over 7 years and still enjoy it.

I've owned 3 tubs and I wouldn't spend any extra money on fancy lights (standard lights are fine,) waterfalls or any type of sound system. I have tried Silver ion systems and seen little to no improvement in my water quality.

I did upgrade to a lager set of stairs and greatly enjoy them over the standard small plastic steps that came with my budget tub a few years ago. (Sturdy, safe easy to get into the tub with, looks nice).

I also upgraded to a phenmatic assisted cover lifter (pro lift II) and that's been great. Makes opening and closing the tub a breeze. My wife would have a hard time with the standard style covers.

My tub also uses 1 large filter (rather than several small filters) and buying an extra filter was great idea. I keep one clean and one in the tub, and swap them out when needed.

Invest in some nice bath robes and a towels.

You don't know if you're a hot tub person. 2.5 years ago I was in the same boat. I spoke with a few local dealers, went to one of the road shows, pursued several craigslist adds and finally settled on a Costco/Strong. Sometimes I'm not in the tub more than once a week. Sometimes it's 5 times a week. I couldn't/can't justify 10K for a warm water patio decoration. I've no physical therapy needs. I'm very happy with my decision/purchase. I can't see going top of the line for your first tub. So that's my biggest reason to not get a tub. The last thing you want to do is sit in the tub regretting all the other things you could have done with the money.

DK117

The Spa Guru's guide to satisfaction;

Place the spa no more than three steps from your back door (I call this the Lynard Skynard rule)

It isn't a lawn decoration, it is a wonderful theraputic device which enhances you quality of life, keep it close and convenient.

If you are planning on getting a top quality theraputic spa for under 7 grand, set half your money on fire and buy a sauna with what is left.

If you aren't going to spend the money to keep it hot 24/7 your odds of using it drop dramatically, a good quality spa is efficient enough to keep hot.

As others have said, expect to take care of it, or expect to see a lot of me, a repairman.

Don't buy a spa because you need friends, they will typically leave your spa water looking like soup and not give a **** either.

Don't buy a spa for little kids, get them a $40 pool and fill it with a garden hose.

When your warranty runs out or your dealer doesn't even make service calls (Mine is 150 miles away, advised maintenance procedures via telephone) and you have to drain your tub in January @ -40C to replace a 2.5" check valve that is expensive and takes 14 days to arrive. If you've got the patience to do that then it is all worth the relaxation benefits these things provide. As long as the contributors on this forum hang around all the information you need is here to help you ensure a pleasant relationship with your spa.

Hot tubs are more expensive to own than many realize when they make the purchase. You can reduce your life cycle costs by buying a simple, energy efficient tub.

Don't be seduced by fancy lights, water features, sound sytems or high jet count.

If you don't need serious hydrotherapy you can buy a quality new tub for 5,000 maybe less maybe more depending on how many will use it most of the time.

I am not a hot tub person but I sure do enjoy my hot tub. We rarely socialize in ours but it is about the only place where I take time to do a series of stretches and when we tub just before turning in for the night sleep comes easily.

I am a new hot tub owner. I have known for a long time I wanted one after sitting in friends hot tubs numerous times. I lurked here for over a year prior to buying one, knowing full well what it entails to upkeep. I would say do your research, but unless you are absolutely sure you want one, don't buy one. These are not a novelty and they require attention. Unless you are passionate about using it, and recognize the benefits, then it will be on Craig's list soon. (for less than half price) As far as lights, I like them. Not over kill but I would not buy a tub with no lights. They set a nice mood. No need for a million of them. Water fall? Not needed at all, especially the ones that shoot into the tub causing a mess and nuisance. I have a water feature that adds a nice sound under a light that is a very nice feature. Not in the way at all and offers a nice soothing sound and can be turned off totally. I like it and am very glad I have it. Stereo? Complete waste of money IMO. Buy a nice boom box and avoid the hassle of trouble. Listen to the people here, they will steer you straight. They don't all agree but I have learned they are all here to help. Look at their post records and pay attention to the ones who have been here, all good people wanting to help. Bottom line if you want a tub then research and more research, then if you still want one, go buy one. I love mine.

I am a new hot tub owner. I have known for a long time I wanted one after sitting in friends hot tubs numerous times. I lurked here for over a year prior to buying one, knowing full well what it entails to upkeep. I would say do your research, but unless you are absolutely sure you want one, don't buy one. These are not a novelty and they require attention. Unless you are passionate about using it, and recognize the benefits, then it will be on Craig's list soon. (for less than half price) As far as lights, I like them. Not over kill but I would not buy a tub with no lights. They set a nice mood. No need for a million of them. Water fall? Not needed at all, especially the ones that shoot into the tub causing a mess and nuisance. I have a water feature that adds a nice sound under a light that is a very nice feature. Not in the way at all and offers a nice soothing sound and can be turned off totally. I like it and am very glad I have it. Stereo? Complete waste of money IMO. Buy a nice boom box and avoid the hassle of trouble. Listen to the people here, they will steer you straight. They don't all agree but I have learned they are all here to help. Look at their post records and pay attention to the ones who have been here, all good people wanting to help. Bottom line if you want a tub then research and more research, then if you still want one, go buy one. I love mine.

great post. For what it's worth, being that I don't value the "therapeutic" nature of tubs like others do, I do value the lights very highly and the water feature (waterfall) is a really nice to have option.

DK117

So much good information here. Making me think, which is a good thing. I can easily get sucked into an idea and then regret it later.

I do realize that I won't really know if we are HT people until we actually get one so we are locked and loaded to get one.

We have an established dealer here locally (Rich's Home Furnishings) and I've met with them and I really get a good vibe from them. They deal exclusively with the Clearwater brand (also manufactured locally in Woodinville, WA.)

I've done some searching here for reviews on the Clearwater brand and there is not a ton of info so if anyone has any views, that'd be great information as well.

Glad I ran into this forum. Always good to talk to others that have forged ahead of me.

Thanks to all !

-c

My wife and I have always been Hot Tub people. When we lived in an apartment, we used the hot tub that was there. My mom had one, it came with her house, and we used it every time we visited. We finally got a spa when my mom sold her house and bought another house without a hot tub.

I'm a cheap bastard and I just couldn't justify the cost of a new spa, so I bought one off of Craig's list. I have a little over two thousand dollars in my installation. I wired it up myself, following local electrical code. I treat the water with Chlorox and other household chemicals, following instruction I found on this site. I even made my own cover lifter out of electrical conduit for about $20.00, that was including the purchase of the conduit bending tool, it took me less than an hour to make.

We use the spa three to five times a week, our spa has been trouble free since we put it in.

We never use the spa lights and have a boom box for our music needs.

Dave

So much good information here. Making me think, which is a good thing. I can easily get sucked into an idea and then regret it later.

I do realize that I won't really know if we are HT people until we actually get one so we are locked and loaded to get one.

We have an established dealer here locally (Rich's Home Furnishings) and I've met with them and I really get a good vibe from them. They deal exclusively with the Clearwater brand (also manufactured locally in Woodinville, WA.)

I've done some searching here for reviews on the Clearwater brand and there is not a ton of info so if anyone has any views, that'd be great information as well.

Glad I ran into this forum. Always good to talk to others that have forged ahead of me.

Thanks to all !

-c

Clearwater makes a nice looking spa, but they also sell their product on line as "Divine" spas

http://www.divinehottubs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.features

I do work for a Clearwater dealer (among others) and they have had cronic leak issues, and moderate to severe shell issues, the spa shell, according to their brochure, features a steel reinforced shell, but they fail to mention that is only the bottom of the footwell, they had all of their tubs sagging down on those round pvc pipes and creating bumps in all the seats.

If you really must have a Clearwater, don't be afraid to drive to the factory and buy direct, ask for Larry Richards, he will drop everything but his pants to make you a cheap deal.... Clearwater doesn't mind shafting their dealers, which is why they lose them all the time.

You are much better off buying something else.

Clearwater makes a nice looking spa, but they also sell their product on line as "Divine" spas

http://www.divinehottubs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.features

I do work for a Clearwater dealer (among others) and they have had cronic leak issues, and moderate to severe shell issues, the spa shell, according to their brochure, features a steel reinforced shell, but they fail to mention that is only the bottom of the footwell, they had all of their tubs sagging down on those round pvc pipes and creating bumps in all the seats.

If you really must have a Clearwater, don't be afraid to drive to the factory and buy direct, ask for Larry Richards, he will drop everything but his pants to make you a cheap deal.... Clearwater doesn't mind shafting their dealers, which is why they lose them all the time.

You are much better off buying something else.

I'm definitly not totally sold on the Clearwater brand. Am considering an Arctic Cub as well as some of the offerings from Costco. Good to hear from someone with some direct experience with Clearwater. Much MUCH appreciated.

Don't buy a tub if you don't know if you're a hot tub person!!! That's potentially a lot of money down the toilet.

At the very least, you should know if you really enjoy being in one, and on a regular basis (several times a week, if not daily).

If you need to find this out, find a friend with one, or take a short-term membership somewhere that has one (eg health club), and see if you like it enough to use it often.

Think hard before buying at a big box store.

Think of it like finding a trustworthy and skilled mechanic for your car. You want to find a knowledgeable, skilled dealership that you can trust to serve as a source of information, expertise, and service. Tubs are like cars; at some point, they are ALL going to have something break, need service, etc.

Even a good hot tub can be a nightmare with a bad dealer when something goes wrong. There's plenty of stories on here about the misery caused by poor dealers.

I'm definitly not totally sold on the Clearwater brand. Am considering an Arctic Cub as well as some of the offerings from Costco. Good to hear from someone with some direct experience with Clearwater. Much MUCH appreciated.

Because I am a spa tech I judge spas in a nut and bolt simple criteria.

Firstly, avoid Costco spas like the plague, others will argue with me, but that is my advice, take it or leave it.

Arctic/Coyote spas are overpriced well marketed spas assembled from Chinese parts.

Many spa manufacturers have proprietary parts, and the cost of post warranty repairs are ludicrous.

In my not so humble opinion, I'd suggest a trip to Aqua-rec and have a look at the Marquis brand.

In the end, buy only what you can wet test, buy a major brand.

My .02 :-)

Firstly, avoid Costco spas like the plague, others will argue with me, but that is my advice, take it or leave it.

Please explain.

The spa industry is the only one where some customers believe that there is no difference in quality, all hot tubs are the same, and they only differ in price.

The cheapest horse is

1) A nag ready for the glue factory

2) Can be saddled and used to win the preakness

The cheapest car in the paper is

1) Reliable, beautiful and economical

2) A pile of junk that will need towed

The cheapest house is

1) Next to the country club and comes with course membership

2) A crack den

When you have time read this. There a lots of opinions from lots of good people. I am not taking sides, but by the time you read this you will know the pro's and con's. There are happy people on both sides. Only you can make your choice. Remember, they are all there to help. Sometimes it gets a little heated, but it is all sincere. (you can pick put the one's that are not). Good luck.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21666

If you have low expectations for a spa, and you are pretty handy mechanically, a Costco tub might be an ok choice, but if you are expecting medical quality hydrotherapy for pain relief and the like, or something that will last 15-30 years, you will be sorely dissapointed.

NEVER buy a spa you cannot wet test any more than you would buy a car from an unknown manufacturer over the phone having never driven it.

Well, the decision was made about 2 hours ago ! Decided to go with the Clearwater Pebble Beach model. We wet tested 2 other different models but it was strange. After all the angst and uncertainity, when I walked over to the Pebble Beach, there was something in my head that said ... That's your tub. All the stress and mind thinking I've been doing just melted away.

I really appreciate the information you guys have provided so far and I'll continue to gather information here.

-c

I lurked also for quite a while in this forum and also liked (loved) all my friend's hot-tubs and had great fun with them. I went ahead and bought, but I find the novelty wears off. The first year was good, with no regrets...but the 2nd year it wasn't used very much at all. Now I'm down to using once a week. SO, not sure if I would do it all again if I was just starting out. It's really not worth the upkeep/maintenance/expense for the amount of use it gets. I also got an 8 footer, and in hind-sight a 7 footer would have been adequate....since I'm in there by myself most times :) Yes to basic lighting, no to the extra lights....I find those to be 'over-kill'. Yes to an IPOD/Stereo jack and speakers. No to a waterfall are my opinions. Oh ya, and I got a hand-rail thrown in as a freebie...and have never attached it, so completely unnecessary.

The FACTS show that among the cheapest cars are indeed the most reliable, as Consumer Reports recently stated the data shows Scion were indeed the most reliable - more so than all the high end brands

If you are convinced the cheapest spa is the best one, by all means, go buy it. you want to believe the cheapest is also the best quality, and as Ron White would say, "Ya just can't fix ......."

Why does every thread here end up about this VS that and insults? Stay on topic as there is already a thread for that crap. It is beneath you. Go back and read your posts.... you might be embarrassed. Just saying. ..... come on guys, let it lie. All to often when I read a thread it it comes to this same old thing. I can go to a barber shop to hear things I already heard.