Needed To Replace Pool Pump

footie

Well 10 years in and I've finally needed to replace my pool pump after the motor burnt out last week. It was a Starite 3/4HP but as this pump had given problems off and on over the last 3 years I decided it's time for a change so I've picked a Certikin Aquaspeed this time.

The big shock was the price, like a mug got the pool guy to repair my aging pump last time at an expense of almost £380 which involved repair to pump and getting the electrical motor checked but it was the callout and hour rate which jumped this figure to £750. Well the brand new pump has ended up costing me only £370 delivered and the only expense after this is for the electrician to wire it up.

Note to self: Always look around because guys are out to stiff you at every opportunity.

This is a question to the guys that really know about water quality.

My pump has finally arrived after a full week of not working i.e. no circulating the water. Will superchlorinating the water after replacing the pump for a few days be enough or will I need to dump the water and replace with fresh water, remember the temperature of the water has dropped steadily to a now 23C.

Maintain a shocking level till you pass an over night chlorine loss test. No need to dump water unless your CH or salt levels are too high and a reverse osmosis service is not available.

What was the motive behind your initial post? Not all pool professionals are out to rip people off.

Scott

This is a question to the guys that really know about water quality.

Hmmm, wonder if i qualify...

Without knowing the present condition of the water, there isn't really a course of action to advise you with. Just to say that it hasn't run in a week doesn't give us much to go on.

Cl level, outside temp during the down time, as well as the waters temp. would help.

Can you still see the bottom of the pool? Is it murky? Or still crystal clear? If it is still clear, chances are you can just pick up where you left off when the pump quit. Murky, super chloroninate is in order. Can't see the bottom, perhaps a drain and refill.

Maintain a shocking level till you pass an over night chlorine loss test. No need to dump water unless your CH or salt levels are too high and a reverse osmosis service is not available.

What was the motive behind your initial post? Not all pool professionals are out to rip people off.

Scott

I think I was just pissed off that after all these years working with the same pool guy and thought he was decent that he would advise repairing an ageing pump that ended up costing me more than double a new one and only lasting just over a year was ridiculous. My point was for others to not be as stupid as I and look around to see whether you are being given the best advice and deal.

P.S. sorry if my remarks came across as if I meant all pool professionals were the same.