To Roof Or Not To Roof

Jerund

We are in the process of installing a California Cooperage model 170 in Rochester NY. We are initially putting up a fence on one side and an adjacent partial for privacy. My preference is to put in 4 corners and build a pyramid roof over the tub to reduce the snow build-up. My wife wants it wide open to see the sky. Are there any compelling arguments for or against a roof? I had originally designed a complete building enlcosure, I was thinking cedar with plenty of windows and skylights, but she wants the full hot-tub-in-a-blizzard experience. Being entirely new to this it sounds weird, but I guess this is normal?

I have been in a hot tub in a blizzard, it is highly overrated, just like stargazing from a spa is.

If the roof line is up 8 ft or so, it is above the line of normal sight while seated.

I was out in 10 degree weather in a 15mph wind with snow falling, after my ears nearly froze off, (water coming up from the bubbles on the surface was freezing to my face) I decided to thaw them by ducking under water.

Oops, I surfaced and my entire head suddenly resembled a popsicle, I kept immersing it to thaw it, and this resulted in the rapid cooling of the water from adding the ice to it. Finally when the temp was 97 degrees I fled the house, I had a half inch of ice frozen into my hair which gave me an ice cream headache as I used the shower to thaw myself out.

The more sheltered you tub is, the more it will get used.

Being a married man tho.... don't build the gazebo right away, go sit in the spa in a blizzard instead, and when the cover needs snow swept off, make sure it is her chore.

By spring she will demand you build a gazebo.

After 6 years of being exposed to the elements we decided to enclose. Polycarbonate roof panels, cedar framing and fiber cement siding is what I used. Even with this structure you still know you're outdoors. 45 degrees C below 0 with windchill factor isn't conducive to happy tubbing, especially for a three year old.

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02404.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

I've had my hot tub for a few years. I at least in my mind had thoughts about covering the tub with a roof. Either a retractable awning/umbrella or something of the sort. I decided to wait for a while until I was sure what I wanted to do as well as let the sticker shock of the tub wear off before spending even more dough.

In any case I absolutely love the open sky. For me, there's something about being in the elements(snow),star gazing, feeling the breeze/wind and while still being totally comfortable that is very appealing. It totally adds another dimension when compaired to the sterile enviroment of being enclosed. My wife also agrees.

I agree with you that there would be some benefits of having a cover over the tub for the reasons you mentioned like reduce or eliminate snow removal, able to soak in the heavier rain. But to me those reasons don't even come close to putting a roof over the tub. If you don't want to experience the elements just put the tub indoors! :(

I have gone out soaking when it was cold enough for me to wear a tossle cap and keep my ears warm. Not a big deal. What Spa Guru experienced is an extreme case and totally unneccesary IMO.......just wear the hat. (He may have embellished the story just a bit...no proof but just maybe)

The only time I am reluctant to go in is in the pouring rain and hard cold winds. A light rain with a hat on is fine but when it is a cold hard rain...forget it. As with anything when your dealing with extremes there are exceptions.

In my opinion I would at least wait and see how you both like it before adding the extra expense of covering it. Maybe in a few years I may change my mind and decide to cover/enclose it.....but for now not even a thought.

Hope this helps.

Have fun in the new tub!

(He may have embellished the story just a bit...no proof but just maybe)

NOAA wind chill charts indicate my precived temperature was -7F, my experience, if anything, was worse than what I described.

He mentioned using the spa "in a blizzard" which is what I described, a condition even more mild than a blizzard.

Once the sp drops below normal body temp, even a couple of degrees, it starts to suck heat out of you instead of the opposite.

windchill.gif

Our spa is, outside, under an enclosed deck, on the view side of our house. We use it year round. Some good friends have a spa set into a deck away from the house with no shelter over it. We use our spa three or four times a week all year, our friends don't use theirs when the weather is rainy or cold, which is about half the year here!

Dave

Dave is exactly correct, my customers that shelter their spa use it 2-3 times as often.

Privacy, shelter, quiet and no wind chill when drying off.

In any case I absolutely love the open sky. For me, there's something about being in the elements(snow),star gazing, feeling the breeze/wind and while still being totally comfortable that is very appealing. It totally adds another dimension when compaired to the sterile enviroment of being enclosed. My wife also agrees.

I agree with you that there would be some benefits of having a cover over the tub for the reasons you mentioned like reduce or eliminate snow removal, able to soak in the heavier rain. But to me those reasons don't even come close to putting a roof over the tub. If you don't want to experience the elements just put the tub indoors! :(

I have gone out soaking when it was cold enough for me to wear a tossle cap and keep my ears warm.

I couldn't agree more. I live where it gets to -40 (without windchill). We stick on a cap and head on out. The night sky is amazing and on a clear cold night if you're lucky you can even catch a Northern lights show. I couldn't imagine enclosing... it takes some of the fun and adventure out of it. At most I would consider a retractable roof and maybe a wind break of some kind.

Of course I will say that my hot tub is indoor/outdoor so I get in and out where it's warm and swim under a glass window to get to the outer section. That always makes life a little more bareable.

We love ours outside, with a Sunbrella Hottub Umbrella, when needed. We use ours 3-6 times a week, less in the summer. In the rain, in the snow, anytime. It is 8ft from our door, so shoveling takes 5 minutes. We love watching the stars & shooting stars at night.

If you cover it, make it reversible or retractable. You may very well regret an enclosure.

To each his own. There is no right or wrong. Just what one prefers. I love the whole outdoor experience not JUST the soak on it's own.

I can't argue the convenience factor at all. Definately easier covered or enclosed. It's just not what I'm looking for at this point.

To be fair if the tub is a distance away from the house that would kind of suck in the cold and wind. Mine is only a few yards away.

Didn't mean to be insulting Spa Guru...kind of tongue in cheek...but thanks for the wind chill chart :)

I would still recommend using the tub without covering it and then decide that it's not for you verses never even tried it at all.

Once again...have fun!

I like siting in the Hot Tub with the snow falling on me. I had one that was indoors previously surrounded by windows facing Pike's Peak. So when I faced out the windows I was looking at Pike's Peak and facing the other way I was watching my big screen TV. I used inside tub more than the one we have outside now, but I enjoy the outside experience much better. My wife next to never used the inside one, but uses the outside one quite a bit.

I don't get in when it's cold and windy or raining hard. I have worn a hat when in the tub. When it's cold out never touch you face though. Once my face gets the least bit wet in the cold, I'm done. I can NOT imagine actually putting my head under water when the outside tempature is below freezing. Makes me shiver thinking about it.

We live in a relatively mild climate and enjoy NOT having a roof. During the rare snowfall - once a twice per year - it is a special treat to use the tub. Living in Rochester NY is a different matter, perhaps. Don't you get three or four feet of snow in the winter? I defer to those who live in a similar climate.

I am a new Spa owner, but have had the pleasure of being in friends spas numerous times over the years back home. Luckily, we now live in a area where the outdoors are not a issue. That said, I can tell you with absolute certainty, neither my wife or I would have bought a spa if it had to be indoors or roofed. It sits on my patio, with a roof awning extended which will protect it from direct sunlight and rain, but full view of the stars. As far as cold weather, I understand it it, I was born and raised in North Dakota 45 miles from the Canadian border, I know what cold is. I love being outside and in our opinion I would just use our bathtub spa and save the money if we had to enclose it. Remember though, this is a personal opinion that each person has. No right or wrong answer, only the owner / user can make that call. For us, it has to be open. A indoor spa does not appeal to me at all.

I appreciate the thoughts, and I'm glad both opinions are covered. The hot tub will be about 3 feet from the garage glass sliding door, so we'll have the garage to dry off in, and just inside the house from that is a shower if needed. We are putting up a solid fence on the north and east sides for privacy, (the house faces north) and while the prevailing wind is from the west it is partially blocked, and the nastiest weather tends to come from the northeast. So we will give it a try as is for this winter and see how we like it. It will take a while to recharge the bank account anyway.

We live in a relatively mild climate and enjoy NOT having a roof. During the rare snowfall - once a twice per year - it is a special treat to use the tub. Living in Rochester NY is a different matter, perhaps. Don't you get three or four feet of snow in the winter? I defer to those who live in a similar climate.

+1 Mild climate, love the rare snow. Couldn't imagine covering. Hard rain is the only thing that keeps us out of the tub, and that does happen frequently in the Pacific Northwest, but wait 15 minutes and it will be fine.

Good call on all the posts about this being an opinion call. Add in the climate and distance to and from the house, and every persons situation is slightly different.

DK117

+1 Mild climate, love the rare snow. Couldn't imagine covering. Hard rain is the only thing that keeps us out of the tub, and that does happen frequently in the Pacific Northwest, but wait 15 minutes and it will be fine.

Good call on all the posts about this being an opinion call. Add in the climate and distance to and from the house, and every persons situation is slightly different.

DK117

I am in ROC so i know the weather you'll be dealing with. Our spa is on a deck about 7 steps from the door. We don't have a roof but do have a privacy fence and that cuts the wind a bit. Used the spa a LOT last winter - as you know, it was VERY snowy. The biggest challenge was keeping the deck clear of snow and removing snow from the cover. I used one of those 'sno brooms' that they sell for cars- works great for getting snow off of the cover.

The only time i don't use the spa is in heavy rain. a hat can help when the outdoor temps are below 20! ENJOY!!

I live in Central MA and have had an outdoor hot tub for several years.

I agree wait a year before building the gazebo. Personally, I love having my hot tub outside fully open. For me, there is nothing better than being under the stars in the dead of winter in the tub. I am in a very seculded area, so privacy is not an issue.

Yup. Shoveling snow off the hot tub is pain in the neck, and you must be careful not to damage the cover. But I still prefer the tub in the open. If privacy was an issue, or perhaps as I get older and shoveling the snow becomes more demanding I gazebo might look like a nice option.

Let the tub sit outside in the snow this season and take it all in. And next year you'll have a better understanding of what you prefer. :)