Clear Water Blue Or Nature2?

walleye

Again, this is NOT about whether ozone can, or has the ability to sanitize, but about how it's specifically applied and if there's any effectiveness on a spa under those specific contitions.

The fact that ozonators in spas that are not used frequently (i.e. once a week or less) have a much higher daily chlorine loss than spas without ozonators tells me that they are indeed injecting ozone in the water that reacts with chlorine through known mechanisms to produce chloride and chlorine. We've even had people disconnect their ozonator and find such losses return to the "normal" 25% of FC loss and then reconnect their ozonators and get the higher FC loss again. It's repeatable and occurs in most spas with ozonators. We've also seen bromine spas with ample bromide banks that have their bromine levels maintained with ozonators (with no bather load) and without use of additional bromine (from tabs) or oxidizers (chlorine or MPS). So I do believe that most spa ozonators do work to inject ozone into the water. They may not be as efficient as they could be, but they aren't doing nothing in most cases.

Now just because ozone does something doesn't mean it's useful for all spas. As noted above, in a spa with low bather load it ends up using more chlorine so really isn't useful. For bromine spas, it can generate a background bromine level to maintain it. It can also produce bromates (a known carcinogen, but only when ingested) so it's a two-edged sword. On the other hand, in a high bather-load spa, such as one used every day or two, it can oxidize bather waste so lower oxidizer demand be it chlorine, bromine or MPS. As to whether this is worth more than the downside of the increase in spa cover deterioration that is sometimes reported, I don't know.

• 9 years later...

Hello

I used to cleanwater blue and it was a disaster. You change the water and in 15 days GREEN and start the nightmare 

But I still have some copper at home, and as far as I know Copper is ideal for keeping the water clear

I wondering...

What happens if I add an small amount of copper from cleanwater blue every once in a while to the Spa Frog Serene (bromine/minerals)

Thanks 

Gus