I Finally Bought A Spa!

walleye

Well after over a year of reading, debating and hearing all the different opinions about all types of hot tubs, I finally bought one. I bought the Sundance Altamar. My wife wanted a lounger and since there will be only two and on rare occasions 3 people the space was not a concern for us. Reviews I found on this tub were good and I feel I got a good price. I want to say I appreciate and value all replies I have read. The decision came down to the fact I am a new Spa owner and the fact they will deliver, set, fill make sure the water is proper and teach me all I need to know means a lot to us. I was down to the Sundance and Hot Spring but the Sundance local dealer is what did it. The local tech was at the store and spent lots of time with me explaining things. He did not try to sell me anything, in fact he knew I was considering Hot Springs and he said they make a very good spa as well, did not bad mouth any tub. What he did do was explain in detail every question I had. He had a lot to do with me buying the spa from that dealer. I spent a lot of time today pulling wire through my attic and have the GFCI mounted and wire to it. All the electrician has to do is tie in both ends. After this job I need the hot tub more than ever!~ Thanks again everyone, your opinions and replies played a big part in our decision. Now wish me luck!

congratulations! I just bought one too but I didnt spend a a year researching... Actually I bought it on a whim from a dealer at my local county fail last month.

It did take 2 weeks to arrive so I laid gravel down meantime.

Well after over a year of reading, debating and hearing all the different opinions about all types of hot tubs, I finally bought one. I bought the Sundance Altamar. My wife wanted a lounger and since there will be only two and on rare occasions 3 people the space was not a concern for us. Reviews I found on this tub were good and I feel I got a good price. I want to say I appreciate and value all replies I have read. The decision came down to the fact I am a new Spa owner and the fact they will deliver, set, fill make sure the water is proper and teach me all I need to know means a lot to us. I was down to the Sundance and Hot Spring but the Sundance local dealer is what did it. The local tech was at the store and spent lots of time with me explaining things. He did not try to sell me anything, in fact he knew I was considering Hot Springs and he said they make a very good spa as well, did not bad mouth any tub. What he did do was explain in detail every question I had. He had a lot to do with me buying the spa from that dealer. I spent a lot of time today pulling wire through my attic and have the GFCI mounted and wire to it. All the electrician has to do is tie in both ends. After this job I need the hot tub more than ever!~ Thanks again everyone, your opinions and replies played a big part in our decision. Now wish me luck!

Congrats walleye.

DK117

Thanks Guys. It should be all set in place and electrical hooked up by noon tomorrow. All that's left for the electrician is to tie into tub and panel. I have the wire at the panel as well as out of the GFCI as of now. I bought a 50 AMP GFCI from Home Depot made for Spas'. It was only $50, I hope that was not a mistake. Has room to add a 110 outlet as well. Anyone have trouble with these? Says Midwest on the outer side of box with a Duck logo. One last question, inside the box, there is a what looks like an lead or magnesium looking antenna? Some sort of ground? Nothing to hook up to it. Wiring was pretty straight forward.

Thanks Guys. It should be all set in place and electrical hooked up by noon tomorrow. All that's left for the electrician is to tie into tub and panel. I have the wire at the panel as well as out of the GFCI as of now. I bought a 50 AMP GFCI from Home Depot made for Spas'. It was only $50, I hope that was not a mistake. Has room to add a 110 outlet as well. Anyone have trouble with these? Says Midwest on the outer side of box with a Duck logo. One last question, inside the box, there is a what looks like an lead or magnesium looking antenna? Some sort of ground? Nothing to hook up to it. Wiring was pretty straight forward.

Walleye,

The 50 AMP GFCI will work in the Sundance Altamar, but with this 50 AMP setup, the heater will not work when both pumps are working. This may not be important to you, but... if you want the heater to work while the jets are running, then you need the 60 AMP GFCI. Refer to the owner's manual (pages 15-17) for information on this. If you do not yet have an owner's manual, you can download it from the Sundance website.

FYI, I own a Sundance Optima and I live in the midwest. It gets cold here in winter. Therefore, I had the 60 AMP GFCI installed to make sure my water stayed nice and hot on those cold winter evenings. You might not have to deal with such cold winters where you live, but if you do, you may want to consider using the 60 AMP GFCI. Unfortunately, it is more expensive than the 50 AMP.

gman B)

Walleye,

The 50 AMP GFCI will work in the Sundance Altamar, but with this 50 AMP setup, the heater will not work when both pumps are working. This may not be important to you, but... if you want the heater to work while the jets are running, then you need the 60 AMP GFCI. Refer to the owner's manual (pages 15-17) for information on this. If you do not yet have an owner's manual, you can download it from the Sundance website.

FYI, I own a Sundance Optima and I live in the midwest. It gets cold here in winter. Therefore, I had the 60 AMP GFCI installed to make sure my water stayed nice and hot on those cold winter evenings. You might not have to deal with such cold winters where you live, but if you do, you may want to consider using the 60 AMP GFCI. Unfortunately, it is more expensive than the 50 AMP.

gman B)

Based on my experiences I think in most cases its not an issue because most people do not run both pumps at the same time very often, maybe 10% of the time they're in ths spa or less on average. Of course nothing applies to everyone, there are certainly people who may have both pums runnning 20, 30 or 50% of the time when they are in. I know in my case I RARELY would have an issue with this because I have both pumps on probably about 3% of the time. Everyone is different.

gman[/size][/font] B)

I wish I would have known this. The 60 AMP was right next to this one for $10 more. I asked the Electrician and he said the 50 AMP is fine. I wish I would have got the 60 now. Oh well. I guess since it is new I can return and get the 60. It is the same box I believe... Or can I just switch out the 50 AMP Breaker in the box for a 60 AMP?

Walleye,

gman B)

Based on my experiences I think in most cases its not an issue because most people do not run both pumps at the same time very often, maybe 10% of the time they're in ths spa or less on average. Of course nothing applies to everyone, there are certainly people who may have both pums runnning 20, 30 or 50% of the time when they are in. I know in my case I RARELY would have an issue with this because I have both pumps on probably about 3% of the time. Everyone is different.

Spatech,

You make a great point. Most people may not use both pumps at the same time all that often. I don't know. I have limited experience with different hot tubs. The primary reason I wanted to mention it to Walleye is...

When I did my hot tub research, almost universally, the dealers sales people told me that 50 AMP GFCI would be sufficient to power and operate the tub. Perhaps Walleye was given similar information. I did not learn of the different possible electrical configurations available with our tub (the Sundance Optima) until I checked the owner's manual. I wanted to confirm my electrician purchased and installed the proper components for this particular hot tub and I also needed to provide accurate information on the electrical permit application. Had I not checked the manual, I may have just installed the 50 AMP GFCI. I installed the 60 AMP GFCI.

BTW, when we use the tub, both pumps are running...probably 95% of the time. One of the key features that swayed us to the Sundance Optima are the foot jets, which my wife and I love. The pump that works the foot jets also work the jets for "captain's chair" seat position and a few other jets. Most all of the other seat position's jets run off the other pump. So both pumps are usually always going.

As you mentioned...everyone is different. It may not be an issue for him, but at least he now knows about it. I just wanted Walleye to be aware of this limitation in case he did not.

Happy Tubbing!

gman B)

So can I just change my 50 AMP breaker on my GFCI to a 60 AMP if this becomes an issue? If so I will keep the 50 for now. If I can't simply change to a 60 AMP, then I will return the entire unit right away and be done with it. Can anyone tell me for sure? I would think it is just the breaker but I am no electrician. Thanks guys.

So can I just change my 50 AMP breaker on my GFCI to a 60 AMP if this becomes an issue? If so I will keep the 50 for now. If I can't simply change to a 60 AMP, then I will return the entire unit right away and be done with it. Can anyone tell me for sure? I would think it is just the breaker but I am no electrician. Thanks guys.

Walleye,

I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN (disclaimer). Check your local electrical codes to be sure your hot tub electrical setup and wiring is in compliance with your local codes. Many communities have special requirements for hot tubs. If your set up is not in compliance, your insurance may not cover you if a problem arises and is sourced back to your electrical set up.

If you refer to page 12 and page 16 of your owner's manual, you'll find the electrical information for your Altamar. It is shipped from the factory configured for the most common electrical configuration, i.e., 240 VAC/50 AMP.

You may be able to simply switch the 50 AMP with the 60 AMP. However, the wire size requirements are different for a 60 AMP breaker compared to that required for a 50 AMP breaker. The physical dimensions of the breakers may also differ. So, besides the size of the wires required for each breaker, space in your electrical box or sub-panel may be a consideration should you want to switch.

I hope this helps.

gman B)

Walleye,

I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN (disclaimer). Check your local electrical codes to be sure your hot tub electrical setup and wiring is in compliance with your local codes. Many communities have special requirements for hot tubs. If your set up is not in compliance, your insurance may not cover you if a problem arises and is sourced back to your electrical set up.

If you refer to page 12 and page 16 of your owner's manual, you'll find the electrical information for your Altamar. It is shipped from the factory configured for the most common electrical configuration, i.e., 240 VAC/50 AMP.

You may be able to simply switch the 50 AMP with the 60 AMP. However, the wire size requirements are different for a 60 AMP breaker compared to that required for a 50 AMP breaker. The physical dimensions of the breakers may also differ. So, besides the size of the wires required for each breaker, space in your electrical box or sub-panel may be a consideration should you want to switch.

I hope this helps.

gman B)

I used 6-3 NM Romex and it is rated for 240V 60 Amp. I will check, but I think if I were to change the 50 AMP breaker in the panel as well as the 50 AMP GFCI in the disconnect both to 60 AMP I should be OK. I will wait to see if it is a issue for me prior to doing anything different. Thanks to all for the help. It is very helpful.

I have a Sundance Optima and I almost always run both pumps at the same time. I want the foot jets on no matter where I am sitting. When I'm in the main captains seat is the only time I run just the one pump. I would be dissappointed if the heater would not work at the same time.

As long as you used #6 THHN copper wire and the run is less than 75 feet, you should be fine with a 60 amp breaker.

I used Romex NM 6-3 with ground all the way. I don't think it is THHN wire? From the Panel in my garage, to the outside disconnect (50 AMP) on to the tub. All inside Carflex water tight fittings outside.

Up and running! Don't know how to post pictures.....?

Go to photobucket.com and open a free account, then use the direct link and the little add photo button above where you type.

With Photobucket, just move your cursor over the picture and a drop down menu will appear. Click on the one that says image code, it will say "copied". Then, paste that into your message on the forum.

coverlifter2.jpg

Congratulations on the spa. I guess I was lucky, I jumped in with both feet, eyes closed and bought a used spa off of Craig's list, without doing any research. I got a good one and it has been trouble free since I installed it. (Whew!)

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

After owning my spa for a few weeks, I can tell you having the 50 AMP VS the 60 AMP will make no difference to me. I lose no heat (that I can see) when using all pumps. If so it is unnoticeable. After I get out of my tub at 104, I set it to 99 and in the morning it is still at 102. Holds heat very well. When I use the over ride to go to 106, same story. I don't lose any heat prior to being ready to get out. It may drop 1 degree if I wait long enough, but it is not an issue at all for me. I am loving this tub and use it virtually every night. Water chemistry has been EZ as well. Thanks everybody.