Heater Can't Keep Up

Hello! I have a 2011 Marquis Mirage. LOVE the spa but at times the heater can't keep up. E.g., 50 degrees F out, with 10 mph winds, and the spa temp dropped 3 degrees in about 15 minutes while the heater is on. The temp keeps dropping even with jets on low and aerator off. (It seems find when there's no wind -- so far: I haven't had a chance to use it in outdoor temps under 45 degrees F.) Is this normal? I'm concerned because I live in a northern climate and intend to use it in very cold weather. This spa is smaller, at 265 gallons, and has 240v. Apparently a 4kw Balboa.

A penny. Thanks!

No electric spa under 11 KW will keep up with the temperature drop, especially with wind, there is simply more energy transfer than the heaters can deal with.

However, does the spa heat when the pump is on high speed? If not, one of the dip switched may not be in the correct location, as those spas are typically delivered to the dealer 120v, if not properly set up, the heater and high speed pump won't operate at the same time.

Are you mechanically savvy enough to have a look? The instrucions for the switch setting will be inside the curcuit box cover.

I checked, it set up properly, the heater works when the pump is on high. I wish I had known that "hot" tubs don't stay hot if there's a breeze. I mean, 55 degrees? Seriously? Do hot tubs only stay hot in the summer, when you don't even use them?

You should put up a wind break wall and also be sure to turn off your waterfall.

Thanks for your replies, SG. Yeah, walling it in is not an option. How hard is it to swap out the heater for a more powerful one (5.5kw? 6kw?)?

A larger element will shorten the life of the relays on your circuit boards, if you want to install a supplemental heater you could do so, but it would require additional wiring from your house panel to operate.

This one is quite compact, and can be operated 5.5 kw or 11 kw.

hayward-cspa-electric-spa-heater-11-kw.jpg

http://www.shopping.com/Hayward-Hayward-Comfortzone-11kw-Electric-Spa-Tub-Heater-Hayward/info

It is a well known reliable brand, and I could show you how to make it operate in paralell with your present heater.

Hello! I have a 2011 Marquis Mirage. LOVE the spa but at times the heater can't keep up. E.g., 50 degrees F out, with 10 mph winds, and the spa temp dropped 3 degrees in about 15 minutes while the heater is on. The temp keeps dropping even with jets on low and aerator off. (It seems find when there's no wind -- so far: I haven't had a chance to use it in outdoor temps under 45 degrees F.) Is this normal? I'm concerned because I live in a northern climate and intend to use it in very cold weather. This spa is smaller, at 265 gallons, and has 240v. Apparently a 4kw Balboa.

A penny. Thanks!

Interesting... Have you checked with the dealer?.. I also just got a new 2011 Mirage, and have had NO problems keeping the heat as set, even with the chilly nights and wind. Live in Buffalo, and we've had some very cool nights this past month... and, yes, LOVING my Marquis Mirage too!... Hope you get your problem resolved!

SG, thanks. It looks like an entire new kit and heater tube would cost less. I need to beat up on the dealer over this. He is checking with Marquis to see if others have had a similar problem. I suppose it's possible it's just my (brand new) heater tube.

dodgyswa, what outside temps? What wind speed? What temp are you set at? How long are you in it? Using jets, aerated, on high speed? It is a really nice tub. The idea that it can't hold heat at mild outdoor temps with a breeze can't be normal. I get that if it's 15 degrees out and the wind is at 20 mph, a tub probably will struggle to keep up. (I wouldn't probably tub in such wind anyway.) But this? Even last nite, 51 degrees out, mild breeze under 10 mph, and it could not keep up, going from 103 (set) to 101 in about 1/2 hour. Not drastic, but not acceptable either.

SG, thanks. It looks like an entire new kit and heater tube would cost less. I need to beat up on the dealer over this. He is checking with Marquis to see if others have had a similar problem. I suppose it's possible it's just my (brand new) heater tube.

dodgyswa, what outside temps? What wind speed? What temp are you set at? How long are you in it? Using jets, aerated, on high speed? It is a really nice tub. The idea that it can't hold heat at mild outdoor temps with a breeze can't be normal. I get that if it's 15 degrees out and the wind is at 20 mph, a tub probably will struggle to keep up. (I wouldn't probably tub in such wind anyway.) But this? Even last nite, 51 degrees out, mild breeze under 10 mph, and it could not keep up, going from 103 (set) to 101 in about 1/2 hour. Not drastic, but not acceptable either.

Hello again..... did you get any more info from your dealer?... this weekend we've had temps in the mid 40's to the mid 50's and it had been extremely windy, in the 20 plus mph range and gusting into the mid 30's.... and I've had no problem.. keep the temp right now at 102, and on occasion it would dip down a degree for a few minutes and then go right back up to the set temp. .. and yes, this is using the jets on high speed, aerated....... interested to hear what your dealer (or Marquis) says!... hope you get you problem resolved!... Happy tubbing!

No electric spa under 11 KW will keep up with the temperature drop, especially with wind, there is simply more energy transfer than the heaters can deal with.

However, does the spa heat when the pump is on high speed? If not, one of the dip switched may not be in the correct location, as those spas are typically delivered to the dealer 120v, if not properly set up, the heater and high speed pump won't operate at the same time.

Are you mechanically savvy enough to have a look? The instrucions for the switch setting will be inside the curcuit box cover.

"No electric spa under 11 KW will keep up with the temperature drop, especially with wind, there is simply more energy transfer than the heaters can deal with."

I'm no expert, but that statement about not being able to keep up with a windy day (especially in such warm weather), does not seem realistic.

Just to double check, when my wife and I went out in our 08 H/S Vanguard the other night, the water temp was 101 when we started. We were in the tub about 40 minutes with both pumps and the aerators in 3 seats on for about 30 of those minutes. The air temp was in the mid 30s and the wind was howling 25-30 mph...I checked the temp after we were done, and it was still a solid 101, just like always. Occasionally I will see it drop to 100, but the thermostat will kick on and always have no problem bringing it back up to the proper temp. No matter how windy or even in temps well below zero. It seems to me that this Marquis has a problem and should be able to do the same.

Just my 2 cents....thanks, Randy

A quick amp check will tell you if the heater itself is working.

A 4kw heater will have no problem maintaining heat in 50 degree weather in such a small tub (265 gallons)

First two things I would check: it's just not wired for 220v, or configured to keep the heater running when the jets are on.

"No electric spa under 11 KW will keep up with the temperature drop, especially with wind, there is simply more energy transfer than the heaters can deal with."

I'm no expert, but that statement about not being able to keep up with a windy day (especially in such warm weather), does not seem realistic.

Just to double check, when my wife and I went out in our 08 H/S Vanguard the other night, the water temp was 101 when we started. We were in the tub about 40 minutes with both pumps and the aerators in 3 seats on for about 30 of those minutes. The air temp was in the mid 30s and the wind was howling 25-30 mph...I checked the temp after we were done, and it was still a solid 101, just like always. Occasionally I will see it drop to 100, but the thermostat will kick on and always have no problem bringing it back up to the proper temp. No matter how windy or even in temps well below zero. It seems to me that this Marquis has a problem and should be able to do the same.

Just my 2 cents....thanks, Randy

Try it at 104, the greater the temp differential, the greater the heat loss.

BTW, mid 30s and 30mph winds? Your head must have turned into a popsicle, I have been out in weather like that, and it is not a pleasant experience.

The heater is working and so are the jets. When the wind is calm, it maintains heat and can get back up to the set temp when the heater comes on. It was quite windy when the temp dropped, but others are saying that this shouldn't be an issue. I don't think it should be either. Spas are supposed to stay hot.

I understand the heater is "working" ie- it gets and stays hot if no one is in it. But... the control box can be configured improperly, so it limits the capacity of the spa to maintain heat when the pumps are running, or the heater may be wired to only 1/4 of it's capability.

An amp clamp and a multi-meter would make troubleshooting a breeze.

Most non-digital electric meters have a disc that, providing no one is using electric heat in the house or an electric oven/stove, when the element is operating, it will spin and be visible about once every five seconds, and slow significantly if the element shuts off, what it should do is turn faster when you switch to hi from low speed when the heat is on.

meter.jpg

Most non-digital electric meters have a disc that, providing no one is using electric heat in the house or an electric oven/stove, when the element is operating, it will spin and be visible about once every five seconds, and slow significantly if the element shuts off, what it should do is turn faster when you switch to hi from low speed when the heat is on.

meter.jpg

haha, I love it.

Crude, but effective, lol

A penny. Thanks!

Interesting thread.... maybe I'll drop my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I looked up the mirage on the net and the one I saw only had a 3Kw heater.... not very big, at least when you consider a good quality hair dryer is 1.5Kw and a cool wind is a killer for stealing heat. Small bodies of water lose heat fast in the wind and that's just a fact of life. But it's not just the wind either. If your jets are getting fresh outdoor unheated air there will be a further loss there. I live in Canada with an 1100 gallon tub and a 4500watt heater and I have to heat the air for the jets and blubbers.

Wind will also get under the tub through the panels if they're not put on properly.... and that's more heat loss... even with the insulation.

If it's any consolation however... in the Winter weather you won't see TOO much of the higher winds, and if you do.... you won't be in the tub! :)