Oh Code When Restarting Spa

shorembo

I am getting an OH code on the start up of my spa (after it runs for about 10 seconds). The model is Leisure Bay Rio Grande with a G2 panel set for 240V.

The water temp is showing a 76 degrees. I set the heater down to 70 degrees and it still happens. I can press a button (up/down) and the unit starts up for around 10 seconds then shuts down with an OH.

Note that the spa is pumping water fine.

I suspect that it is a bad sensor, but it looks like three different sensors come off the board. Two look like heat sensors (one goes to directly to the tub, one goes to the heating unit) and the other one looks like a pressure sensor (attached to the heating unit).

Frankly, I am not sure what the heating sensor is for. But, since it is set to 240V I really don't want to screw up.

Any ideas on how to get this thing back working. BTW, I have had intermittent problems restarting the hot tub after the summer but usually, I can clean the board off with a can of air and it works.

There are two harnesses, right next to each other. A 4 pin harness contains both temp sensors. A separate 2 pin harness is for the pressure switch, and has nothing to do with the OH code.

Essentially, if it's not the sensors, or a little corrosion on the harness, you're screwed. Balboa is no longer releasing the G-2 circuit board. Cross your fingers it's just bad temp sensors.

You can purchase new set of sensors and simply plug them into the harness without going through the trouble of installing them, and see if that will solve your problem.

Good luck

There are two harnesses, right next to each other. A 4 pin harness contains both temp sensors. A separate 2 pin harness is for the pressure switch, and has nothing to do with the OH code.

Essentially, if it's not the sensors, or a little corrosion on the harness, you're screwed. Balboa is no longer releasing the G-2 circuit board. Cross your fingers it's just bad temp sensors.

You can purchase new set of sensors and simply plug them into the harness without going through the trouble of installing them, and see if that will solve your problem.

Good luck

Thanks for the quick response...

I think I found a balboa temp resistance chart online.

http://www.spacare.com/balboasensorresistancevalues.aspx

Based on the above, it looks like I could test the resistance on the sensors. If the resistance is reading properly (70 degrees), then the sensor is working properly and that leaves the board as the problem.

Does this make sense?

Good luck

Thanks for the quick response...

I think I found a balboa temp resistance chart online.

http://www.spacare.com/balboasensorresistancevalues.aspx

Based on the above, it looks like I could test the resistance on the sensors. If the resistance is reading properly (70 degrees), then the sensor is working properly and that leaves the board as the problem.

Does this make sense?

Absolutely. I always have a set of sensors handy, and occasionally I have a pair that will meter out properly, but still throw a code.

Good luck.

If you're forced to buy a circuit board, be aware, balboa is not making any more, and supplies are what people currently have in inventory.

One other thing...

If the sensors are OK, then the problem looks like it would be the board. Before getting a new board though, is there a method of cleaning the circuit board properly? There was an ant/roach highway going over the circuit board. I attempted to clean with a can of air but is there some solvent I could use that would work better?

Thanks

You can wash the board with an aerosol contact cleaner, it is made to be gentle on electronics. If you can't find contact cleaner, use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a cotton swab. Don't use the cheaper, 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, that other 30% is water.

Dave

You can wash the board with an aerosol contact cleaner, it is made to be gentle on electronics. If you can't find contact cleaner, use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a cotton swab. Don't use the cheaper, 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, that other 30% is water.

Dave

Thanks...I checked the sensors last night and they test out fine. My next step is to clean off the circuit board.