Solana Sx - Jets Are Weak, Maybe Not Getting Air?

kyle b

Just got a Solana SX up and running after a year or two of being empty. We've been in the tub 3 times so far and we always have the jets on and the air to MAX (when in the tub). Well, my wife turned it to MIN and we realized what we were missing. The jets came to life and were very strong (we could feel the air). It lasted only a couple minutes and then went back to a very weak flow.

I just cleaned the filter (using the degreaser)and it didn't help. Is there more than one filter I should be cleaning/checking? It's almost like it's not getting air. The suggestions from the manual (below) say to 'open' the air valve. How do I do that? And it says to open the jet nozzles...again, not sure how to do that. Any other tips or suggestions?

Oh, obviously the moto-massage isn't working properly since the jets are so weak. If I can fix this air flow problem I'm hoping they'll come to life.

Troubleshooting Suggestions from Manual:

• Add water

• Clean filters / Clean jet intake screens

• Open jet nozzles / Open air valve

Thanks!

There is only the one filter.

Sounds like a broken air flow control valve. There's a rubber boot inside that valve that's loose, opening when it should be closed, and vice-versa. They're pretty inexpensive, but can be a pain to replace if Watkins used epoxy to hold the nut on the bottom is place. When the manual advises to "open" the air flow control valve, they simply mean turning it to "max." The troubleshooting guide assumes nothing is actually broken, and that the issue is owner/operator related.

Sounds like a broken air flow control valve. There's a rubber boot inside that valve that's loose, opening when it should be closed, and vice-versa. They're pretty inexpensive, but can be a pain to replace if Watkins used epoxy to hold the nut on the bottom is place. When the manual advises to "open" the air flow control valve, they simply mean turning it to "max." The troubleshooting guide assumes nothing is actually broken, and that the issue is owner/operator related.

OK, thanks. Last night we were able to get them to run for 10 minutes or so. The trick was to set the air valve while the jet was on low (pushed once) and then pressing it a second time. I figured it was a good time to test it and sometimes the air flowed when on MIN and the next time it had to be on MAX.

So, which of these do I get:

http://www.backyardplus.com/spa-serial-number-search.php?sn=SX-4-G-3208&cat=20&page=232

OK, thanks. Last night we were able to get them to run for 10 minutes or so. The trick was to set the air valve while the jet was on low (pushed once) and then pressing it a second time. I figured it was a good time to test it and sometimes the air flowed when on MIN and the next time it had to be on MAX.

So, which of these do I get:

http://www.backyardplus.com/spa-serial-number-search.php?sn=SX-4-G-3208&cat=20&page=232

The only difference between the two is color.

Thanks, I asked be cause the picture makes it look like one is 3 pieces and the other is 2. I'll get it ordered. Thanks for all your help.

On one picture the secondary piece is already shown in the bottom of the air dial, both air dials come with two different adapters to connect to the air line, use whichever one matches your purpose.

If the line going to the bottom of the air dial barb is flexible, but glued, saw it off at the dial without cutting the hose, and crush the hose end and break the piece cut off inside and pull out the pieces using a pair of needle nose pliers and a twisting motion, this saves you from having to splice in a new piece of air line.

Great, thanks for the tip. Since I'm placing the order for the parts I guess i should try to fix my moto-massage jet too. Since I was able to get the air to flow the other night I noticed that the jet appears to be working at full force (with air). The problem I have now is it doesn't move. If I reach my fingers in there and push the jet it starts to move up and down but then stops (usually after going up once, down once, then stuck).

So, should I add this to my order?

Not yet, if the moto isn't getting air, it won't move. check the air line (the little one) and the fittings to it if you still have no air after the air valve is installed.

• 10 years later...