Pool Pump Won't Start?

jagercrow

Hi everyone,

Been getting the hang of being a pool owner for the past year now. Got a lot of guidance from people on the forum so I do owe everyone a Thank You! Running into a new issue. Today I noticed my Kreepy Krawly wasn't moving. Went over to check and come to find out the entire pool pump/filter was not running during it's scheduled time. I went to manually turn it on at the control panel and heard the usual click..and then...nothing. My first stop was the breaker box. I flipped the breaker on and off and it had no effect. The wiring seems to be in good condition. Other than that being a novice I'm now at a loss. The motor is a Pentair Whisperflo WFE-something or other. I know you guys aren't psychics...but any ballpark guess on what can cause these pool pumps to not work?? The only thing that has happened lately out of norm is we just had a very big storm here in San Diego. I don't know what that could of done, but I figured I would mention it. Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!!!!

You have only one thing to check but, you'll need a voltmeter. Check the control box relay (when it is supposed to be scheduled on) to see if it is supplying the 240VAC to the pump motor. The control box relay is the thing that you heard go 'click'. If there is not 240VAC then the relay is bad. If there is 240VAC then the motor or cap is bad.

Great catch on the relay! Definately a possibility. I also agree that it may be your cap. Did you notice if your motor was hot? when you turn it on and hear the pop move closer to the motor and see if it is humming. If so it is likely your cap. A cheap fix. The cap is on top of your WF pump, the big hump on the motor. Remove the two screws and remove the cap. It has no polarity so don't worry about which wire goes where, there's only 2.

Thanks for the responses! So, bad relay/cap is the guess huh? I'll check that when I get home tonight. I didn't notice the motor make any noise when I tried to turn it on. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix. I did take the motor itself into a pool store and they checked it and said it was working fine, which only supports your guys' theory even more. I'll follow up on what happens. Thanks again!!

So, I'm pretty sure it is the relay. Used a voltmeter and didn't get a reading, however, here's the next issue...how do I replace the relays? It looks like there are two relays and they are part of the entire circuit board? There's no way to just unscrew them...? Maybe I can get a picture posted..?