'94 Watkins Hotspot Questions

Hello,

I have a 1994 Hotspot Model Z. It is the round one with 5 jets where the heater sits on top of the pump. I did some trading for this and just hooked it up yesterday. One coupling where the pump is attached to the heater has some initial threads broke off. I was still able to screw it down tight. There is a ridge on the pump side where it almost looks like a gasket/washer/O ring? might go. As of right now just PVC hooked to the metal heater. None of my PVC coupling/joints have any gaskets/washers/O rings on them. Well, it was a gusher of a leak especially on the right side where pump meets heater. So my questions are: Even though I got a tight seal is the fact that some threads are broke off prevent the coupling to go flat against the heater housing. Am I supposed to have some kind of gasket/washer/O ring where all the PVC joints come together? Silicone or plumbers tape? Make my own? My Hotspot dealer is 50 miles from me but then again, I only want to have to do this once. Obviously, this is my first go round in the world of spas. Thanks.

Yes, all connections should have an o-ring or gasket, pvc will never seal to anything without it.

Check out the hot springs website for your local dealer for parts.

http://www.hotspring.com/find-a-dealer?gclid=COuv4OGIyqsCFR5CgwodaUVm3A

• 3 weeks later...

First off I have a hard time signing on here. It says log in successful only to find out when I then click on the hot tub forum part it says I can't post like I am logged out. I do the sign in all over again and the same thing happens-over and over.

Anyway, thanks for the previous response as all my coupler leaks are fixed.

Now my problem is my pump stopped working-wavemaster 3000 2 stage. It had always worked when jets were on. So I tried to get the heater to work. It would turn on the heat pump cycle only to shut off a little bit later. Then I would hear the relay? or something clicking which would eventually stop. I have to say I was using a heavy duty outdoor extension cord as I am doing test runs to make sure this works before installing plug. Now, even the jet part of pump does not turn on at all when I hit the on button. I have tested the GFI numerous times. Is there a fuse or relay I need to check? On the front of it there is a black heater with silver reset button which in the past I did need to push in to reset it to get it to start again. Does that black button come out and have a fuse behind it? The high heat reset button is fine. Jets on switch maybe? When I push it in to turn on I do hear a clicking noise down in the control box like it is working. Trying to get this figured out before the cold comes. Thanks so much for the help.

First off I have a hard time signing on here. It says log in successful only to find out when I then click on the hot tub forum part it says I can't post like I am logged out. I do the sign in all over again and the same thing happens-over and over.

Anyway, thanks for the previous response as all my coupler leaks are fixed.

Now my problem is my pump stopped working-wavemaster 3000 2 stage. It had always worked when jets were on. So I tried to get the heater to work. It would turn on the heat pump cycle only to shut off a little bit later. Then I would hear the relay? or something clicking which would eventually stop. I have to say I was using a heavy duty outdoor extension cord as I am doing test runs to make sure this works before installing plug. Now, even the jet part of pump does not turn on at all when I hit the on button. I have tested the GFI numerous times. Is there a fuse or relay I need to check? On the front of it there is a black heater with silver reset button which in the past I did need to push in to reset it to get it to start again. Does that black button come out and have a fuse behind it? The high heat reset button is fine. Jets on switch maybe? When I push it in to turn on I do hear a clicking noise down in the control box like it is working. Trying to get this figured out before the cold comes. Thanks so much for the help.

If you have two windows open on your computer with this webpage on it, you will have the problem staying logged on you mention.

Running a 120v spa on any type of extension cord starves the spa for voltage, can burn out the jet pump, and do a lot of damage to the electrical system. The button you are pushing is a reset that is tripping on the heater from lack of flow.

The 94 Hot Spot's were plagued by wiring, relay, and fuse issues. The spa incorporates a rectifier to energize DC coil relay's, and bumped the voltage too low initially, then too high.

More than likely, you either have burnt wires inside the box, a frozen relay, or a burned up fuse assembly. Only way to tell is to take it apart (which requires draining the spa)

Hello again,

I took the control box housing off and all looks good except there is a corroded nut on the left side that two green wires go to. One dark green and one light green. The nut attaches to a screw that goes through the control box housing on the bottom. One of the green wires comes inside the box through the electrical cord. The other goes to the pump/control box electrical plug. I am guessing this is my problem because even when it was working, when I would go to turn it off it sometimes it would shut off and other times I had to mash the button over and over until it did. The rest of the insides look good as no burnt wires. Really surprised how clean it does look considering how old it is. Any thoughts on the corroded nut theory? My other question is do I have to completely hook it back up/refill tub in order to test it? Can I do a quick dry run-5 seconds or less to see if pump will turn on? Thanks.

Hello again,

I took the control box housing off and all looks good except there is a corroded nut on the left side that two green wires go to. One dark green and one light green. The nut attaches to a screw that goes through the control box housing on the bottom. One of the green wires comes inside the box through the electrical cord. The other goes to the pump/control box electrical plug. I am guessing this is my problem because even when it was working, when I would go to turn it off it sometimes it would shut off and other times I had to mash the button over and over until it did. The rest of the insides look good as no burnt wires. Really surprised how clean it does look considering how old it is. Any thoughts on the corroded nut theory? My other question is do I have to completely hook it back up/refill tub in order to test it? Can I do a quick dry run-5 seconds or less to see if pump will turn on? Thanks.

You'll need a meter to troubleshoot anything, particularly the relays. Then, you won't have to dry fire anything.

• 6 months later...

Hello once again. Here is the latest. I put a new GFI on the control box then hooked everything back up. I got the jets to pump after pushing the jet on/off button and the black reset button on the control box and the GFI numerous times. After I got it going the thing would not turn off. I hit the black reset button to get it to turn off. Now it won't come on at all. When I push the jet button I do hear a click in the control box. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a meter can you tell me how to use it? Where do I set the dial and put the probes? Can I check the air switch without taking the control box off again?

Thanks for the response.

Read the instructions that came with the meter regarding OHM and Voltage tests, both AC and DC. If you don't know how to use it, it's probably a good idea to call someone. But if you figure it out- test the coil voltage going to the relays (NOT the line or load voltage) In a 94 Hot spot- thery used 110v DC for coil voltage to open and close the relays. You'll need to run the test with the poer on, the control box removed and accesable. Once you determine if the relays are getting coil voltage- test each one, one at a time, and test the AC Line and Load voltage to see of the contacter portion of the relay is working when it the coil is energized.

Remember, you'll be working with electricity, which can be pretty dangerous, so if you don't know what you're doing, then don't.

OK, thanks. Not to sound like an idiot but is checking the relays the first step in the process or can I check the air switch first without taking control box off? I do hear a clicking like something is working. Totally understand the whole working with electricity scenario. Might be time to go visit my neighbor. Thanks.

the clicking you hear is a fair indicator that the air switch is working. something else isnt though

Do you think he knows the difference between the half click of a broken air switch that refuses to latch, and the double click of a working air switch?

It may well be working, but just because an air switch is making a click to someone that doesn't know what its supposed to sound like, isn't a fair indicator of anythng to me.

• 8 years later...

Hi - I just built myself a cedar tub and a buddy gave me a Watkins/Hotspot combination for heating.  It seems like I have the same box as being discussed above - a hotspot unit of 92-94 vintage (same as https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/618119117576404801/).

The Watkins pump is working fine but the heater is not.  It appears that it may be a resistor has fried.  So two questions:

* Does anyone have an electrical schematic for the Hotspot heater unit?

* Any idea what the value of the resistor is?  It is the hotspot resistor assembly part 70797.  I got this off a supplier's website but they were unable to supply the part or any further info. (see the specifications tab at https://www.hottubspasupplies.com/34689-capacitor-hot-spot.html)

I have checked with a couple suppliers and am having no luck getting technical information.  Tech support at Hotspot says they have no information on items older than 20 years.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Well, you are calling it a resistor, but your link says capacitor. The wiring diagram shows both, so which is it? The capacitor you linked looks like it says 180uf (ultra-farads) 250v. The original will also be marked with a uf or mf rating.

If it is a resistor it will have an ohm rating or a series of colored stripes around the end.

• 1 year later...