Pool House Question - What Size/type Water Heater

passos

I'll be putting in a pool house this winter that will have an indoor shower, an outdoor shower and a small kitchenette. My builder has suggested a small 5G tank water heater as people won't be taking long showers, plus the space savings. That sounds very small to me. He recommended against a tankless system and based on mixed reactions I've seen, I agree.

I tried figuring out water flow rates assuming 2 people taking 5 minute showers at the same time using a 2.5 gpm faucet, plus someone using the sink, and it seems like (assuming half that flow is hot water) that is too small.

Any suggestions, experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

A 40 gal would be the max size for your pool house. The 5 gal sounds way too small. The tankless sounds too expensive. So, that leaves around a 15 to 30. You can find an electric 30 gal at most Lowe's. I think the 15-20 gal would be a special order. Unless you plan on using the pool and pool house year round, you can easily switch the tank off either at the breaker or with a Gray Box during Winter months.

Care to share your plans on the new pool house (size, dimensions, siding type, etc.). I am also planning to build a pool house/cabana soon.

• 2 weeks later...

My water heater sits over my master bedroom = costly repair when it goes out! So I'm going tankless, but that is the only reason!

Keep in mind water heaters have a thermostat! Your water heater water maybe 160 degrees, every taken a 160 degree shower? No of course not, so a 5 gallon water heater sounds small, now dilute it with cold water and now your water heater is plenty! We're pool guys... No offense to anyone... Some of us maybe plumbers, but I'm not. But it's important to understand the principles before killing a professionals suggestions!

My only solid advice is to make certain you can turn off the water to the outdoor shower, and drain the excess water! Mine froze!

My water heater sits over my master bedroom = costly repair when it goes out! So I'm going tankless, but that is the only reason!

Keep in mind water heaters have a thermostat! Your water heater water maybe 160 degrees, every taken a 160 degree shower? No of course not, so a 5 gallon water heater sounds small, now dilute it with cold water and now your water heater is plenty! We're pool guys... No offense to anyone... Some of us maybe plumbers, but I'm not. But it's important to understand the principles before killing a professionals suggestions!

My only solid advice is to make certain you can turn off the water to the outdoor shower, and drain the excess water! Mine froze!

Hopefully, you are not going to install the tankless in the same spot (over the master bedroom). If you do, please post the pictures when this happens again. Which do you think has a better chance to freeze........a typical hot water tank pipe that is warm all the time or a tankless that only comes on when you need it and is cold all other times?

Important to note, tankless heaters will leak......that thermal cycling is a killa!

Valid point! But Static water cools to ambient temperature. Wouldn't a hot water heater line cool as well? I'm not replacing my tank because the line froze, I'm replacing it because tanks fail. Secondly, I'm in Dallas. Not that we don't see frozen lines in houses, I just never have!

A hot water line many times comes out of the wall to the tank heater and then back into the wall. Usually, the line is warm enough to prevent freezing. You may also have enough heat coming through the ceiling to keep the pipes warm so, you are probably right. I may have mistaken when you mentioned in the previous post that your pipe froze but, I see now you were referencing an outside pipe.

Cheers!