Gunite problems...

Guest Lana

We're having an inground pool put in... it was layered with gunite and from day one of the dig we've had water seeping in, first through the dirt (when the pool was just a mere hole in the ground) and then through the gunite... We have yet to see plaster applied, but before that happens, I am concerned that the water seeping in from the dirt (due to my neighbor watering his yard) IN THROUGH the gunite and INTO THE POOL is a huge problem now and in the future. Am I right?

The field supervisor of our pool company continually assures me that this water seepage is not a problem (though it's more than 5 areas and keeps the bottom of our pool filled with a foot or two of water) and that it can be sealed and WILL NOT be a problem in the future. I see this as a future problem as well. If the water is able to seep through the gunite, won't it be able to seep through the plaster as well and cause thousands of dollars worth of repair work later??

We're having an inground pool put in... it was layered with gunite and from day one of the dig we've had water seeping in, first through the dirt (when the pool was just a mere hole in the ground) and then through the gunite... We have yet to see plaster applied, but before that happens, I am concerned that the water seeping in from the dirt (due to my neighbor watering his yard) IN THROUGH the gunite and INTO THE POOL is a huge problem now and in the future. Am I right?

The field supervisor of our pool company continually assures me that this water seepage is not a problem (though it's more than 5 areas and keeps the bottom of our pool filled with a foot or two of water) and that it can be sealed and WILL NOT be a problem in the future. I see this as a future problem as well. If the water is able to seep through the gunite, won't it be able to seep through the plaster as well and cause thousands of dollars worth of repair work later??

I know when they did mine, there were weeps installed. This keeps ground water from floating the pool until its filled. The plasters will remove the water before they do their work and the plaster seals the pool water in jst as it keeps the ground water out. You will begin filling your pool they day of plastering so you should be good to go. Hopes this helps.

Thanks. It eases my mind a little... I just keep thinking that eventually the plaster will erode due to the water leaking behind it and cause problems.

I know when they did mine, there were weeps installed. This keeps ground water from floating the pool until its filled. The plasters will remove the water before they do their work and the plaster seals the pool water in jst as it keeps the ground water out. You will begin filling your pool they day of plastering so you should be good to go. Hopes this helps.

your seeing the water table at the bottom of your pool excavation. now, as in any time in the future that your pool is empty water needs to freeflow in and out of the pool. usually through a port in the maindrain pot where a hydostatic valve is placed.

the plaster will be in contact with water its whole life. you'll be fine.