Arctic Spa Onzen Version 8

yiotta

Hi all, I know there are some Arctic Spa dealers posting on here, hopefully they can answer my questions.

I have been lurking on these boards since we purchased our Arctic Tundra with Onzen system last year.

This is our first ownership of a spa and we decided that we did not want to deal with cheaper spas and the frustration and hassles of buying new spas every few years, it seems to me that Arctic Spas are built to last, so we are hoping for many years of good use.

I cannot seem to get the crystal clear water we were promised with Onzen.

First, let me say that we always shower before getting in the spa and it gets fairly minimal usage, at times it may go for several weeks without a use or it may get 1/2 hour to an hour from my wife, myself and maybe one teenage child 2-4 times per week. Really pretty light usage.

We have fairly soft water, I routinely check alkalinity, pH, Calcium and NaCl content and do a good job of keeping them in the normal recommended ranges.

We are using the newer ("improved") filters.

Still not happy with the water clarity.

So my question is twofold...

What is the difference between Onzen Version 7 and 8, both technically and in results?

Reading through the 2011 Onzen Technical Guide it looks like the new version is more efficient as far less salt is required. But that really doesn't matter to me, I WANT CLEAR WATER! In fact, you can't even buy the larger tub of salt anymore, only the 4 pounder.

Question 2 is, how do you change between versions, is it simply a new electrode? How often should the electrodes be changed? I get the Onzen bubbles when activated....

Thanks for any insight you may have :)

Roger L

Silverdale WA, USA

Owner of a two year old Arctic Summit. Currently awaiting installation of Arctic 8. First two Onzens needed to be replaced due to electrode failure. My understanding is that with the Arctic 8, the electrodes are replaceable and only designed to last for a year. The electrodes will no longer be covered under warranty. Aside from the replaceable electrodes the systems are the same.

As to the cloudy water, are you checking your chlorine readings? You said you saw bubbles, did you also see cloudy water ("smoke") coming from the electrodes? If there is no "smoke", chlorine is not being produced. If chlorine is being produced, you may need to increase your setting. You could also supplement by adding additional chlorine or non-chlorine shock.

I've been using the dichlor/bleach method while waiting for the upgrade (dealer went out of business). In a way,its easier adding the needed amount of chlorine instead of guessing how much chlorine is being produced. Thinking about giving up the Onzen altogether instead of having to purchase new electrodes every year.

You can also contact Arctic directly with any Onzen questions. They are usually pretty helpful.

Best of luck,

• 3 months later...

I just got the Onzen 8.1 "upgrade" on my 3 year old Yukon. I've noticed that the new replaceable electrode generates a lot of bromine, however the system does not seem to produce any ozone. The old 7.X system actually bubbled ozone through the onzen port that contained the electrodes, however the new electrode does not. I took the cabinet door off to take a look and noticed that there are no hoses connected to the onzen port, just the electrical leads for the electrode. I seem to remember an actual hose connected to the 7.X system which would deliver to ozone gas to tub. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

I just got the Onzen 8.1 "upgrade" on my 3 year old Yukon. I've noticed that the new replaceable electrode generates a lot of bromine, however the system does not seem to produce any ozone. The old 7.X system actually bubbled ozone through the onzen port that contained the electrodes, however the new electrode does not. I took the cabinet door off to take a look and noticed that there are no hoses connected to the onzen port, just the electrical leads for the electrode. I seem to remember an actual hose connected to the 7.X system which would deliver to ozone gas to tub. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

It's confirmed...if you had the "onzen upgrade" from a 7.X to an 8 THEY'VE DISABLED THE OZONE GENERATOR. So what you're left with is a bromine/chlorinator...THAT'S IT!!! If you want to generate ozone they will gladly sell you an additional "Peak Ozone I or II" for a s****load of money. I'm pretty PO'ed. My original Onzen system generated both bromine and ozone THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT IT!! They installed this new 8.0 cell and neglected to tell me "by the way...this won't generate ozone anymore". I bought an Arctic Spa because I thought it was the best. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! I will never recommend this manufacturer to anyone again. My neighbours made the right decision and bought a Sundance.

• 1 month later...