Aquapure 1400 Error Code 170

beachman

i have a three year old Aquapure 1400, cell reversing light steady - non operational with a 170 service code. 170 comes up as either a incoming voltage issue or a front board issue. I rewired the system completely recently adding in a heavy duty Intermatic pool timer, and it worked for two weeks fine, but after adding in a GFI outlet, it kicked in the error code after 24 hours. Nothing new has been introduced on the line in terms of load devices - operated for two years but rewired and all other devices are fine (heater, solar valve, pump, outlet).

normal operation has been 10-20% on 24/7 - cell was acid cleaned a month ago before season start, which barely needed cleaning. I've taken out the flow sensor and used a kitchen sponge to scrub - two of the sensors are bright and shiny, the third is a bit dull metal.

troubleshooting diagnostics:

Transformer Voltage

Backboard A to B: 77.4V (should be approx 75V)

Backboard

1-8 77.2V (should be 75V); 2-7 68.8V (should be 65V); 3-6 20.6V (should be 21V)

Front Board AC Voltage

A to C: 20.7V (should be around 21VAC)

Troubleshooting Front Board

Salinity 2.9gpl (vs 2.8gpl)

Pool Temperature: 74F (vs 75F)

H Temp: 90F (vs 91F)

I spoke to Jandy tech support and they said the board voltage all looked fine as did the three board diagnostics readings.

All indicators points to either replacing the front board or the flow sensor - the question is which. The reco was to get a tech and just start replacing boards - which of course is the expensive option at least in Canada, since parts from a pool store here are about double the U.S. online price ) - although you only pay for what you need, plus the $100 service call.

Does anyone in Canada know where to get Aquapure parts online from a Canadian source?

Any other recommended ways to clean the flow sensor other than the green kitchen sponge?

any other suggestions are appreciated.

Put your thumb on the shiny sensor and then pull it across the sensor. do this for each sensor. Do you feel an edge between the sensor and the epoxy? If you did, with any of the three, then the sensor has probably gotten water behind it. If you decide to get a new sensor, make sure the epoxy is black. That is the fix for these things prematurely failing.

Put your thumb on the shiny sensor and then pull it across the sensor. do this for each sensor. Do you feel an edge between the sensor and the epoxy? If you did, with any of the three, then the sensor has probably gotten water behind it. If you decide to get a new sensor, make sure the epoxy is black. That is the fix for these things prematurely failing.

thanks for the suggestion - that would explain it then. i feel a bit of an edge on the two shiny sensors, but not on the dull one. i tried scrubbing them again but to no avail.

although the code 170 says front board - i'm feeling like it's the sensor - since before it went non-operational the "add salt" light flickered on and off although the salt was 3.1 and confirmed at the pool store. It now just stays in "Cell Reversing", cycles back and forth between Error Code 170 and the Chlorination %. The audible alarm goes off every 30s, but thankfully you can disable that by moving the jumpers on the front of the board -otherwise it would drive you insane.

i guess i will try ordering a sensor since it's the cheapest part of the whole system and take a chance. do you know if all new replacement sensors have black epoxy or do i have to make sure before ordering - my current sensor was bought in August 2008 and is the round version.

I would talk to someone when ordering and confirm that they have the black ones, and then discuss the return policy in the event that you get a white one(yes, even if you confirmed that you will get a black one) and have to return it.

• 4 weeks later...

I would talk to someone when ordering and confirm that they have the black ones, and then discuss the return policy in the event that you get a white one(yes, even if you confirmed that you will get a black one) and have to return it.

Ordered new flow sensor with black epoxy. And that did the trick. Back in business.

For anyone else, i have the slotted type and the part # was R0452500. I ordered from Glenridge Pool Supplies for $185. I called and they said they are only shipping black ones.

My local pool store confirmed they are seeing a lot of white epoxy sensors fail this summer.

Thanks Pool Clown for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered new flow sensor with black epoxy...

For anyone else, i have the slotted type and the part # was R0452500. I ordered from Glenridge Pool Supplies for $185. I called and they said they are only shipping black ones...

Hi All,

I have an AquaPure 700, with service code 172/186, and learned in this very instructive site that I'll need to buy the black resin sensor. I haven't seen too many post on the AP700, and I wonder if the AP700 uses the same sensor as the AP1400?

Thanks for this, and any other relevant information on the AP700.

Ordered new flow sensor with black epoxy...

For anyone else, i have the slotted type and the part # was R0452500. I ordered from Glenridge Pool Supplies for $185. I called and they said they are only shipping black ones...

Hi All,

I have an AquaPure 700, with service code 172/186, and learned in this very instructive site that I'll need to buy the black resin sensor. I haven't seen too many post on the AP700, and I wonder if the AP700 uses the same sensor as the AP1400?

Thanks for this, and any other relevant information on the AP700.

I have an AquaPure 1400 and need sensor R0452500. Service code is 172.

1) The retail price here in Toronto is $340 + tax. Where can I get it cheaper from? Any relaible on-line store that will ship to Toronto Canada.

2) How easy or difficult to install this sensor yourself?

3) How do I find out if I need white or black one?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks