Replacement Pool Pump Motor

I was thinking about replacing the pump motor for our pool. Ours works fine, but it is VERY loud! I think it is probably about 10 years old, and it is a single speed "energy effecient" model, but I don't think we are really getting much effeciency out of it. The label on our current motor is very worn, but from what I can tell, we have a single speed, Magnetek Century B2842. 1.5 HP, 208/230 volts, 56Y frame. We have solar heating on the roof, but bypass it and don't plan on ever using it. We also have a Polaris 360 sweeper, but no booster pump. There is only grass in the yard, no trees or bushes. We currently run the pump about 6 hrs a day and that has been enough to keep it clean. The pool is an inground pool, approx 17,000 gallons.

I was thinking I could just upgrade the motor (without also upgrading the pump) to a dual speed, and then get a second intermatic timer to manage the second speed. I already have one intermatic timer, and I don't want to upgrade to a digital timer for cost reasons. The guys at the local pool store keep pressuring me to upgrade to a variable speed pump and motor with a digital timer intergrated into it. I think this is way more than I really need, and about three times more money that I really am willing to spend.

Am I unreasonable to think I can just replace the motor for a dual speed for $300-400 and not have to spend over $1,300 getting a variable speed pump, motor, and on board timer? Are the guys at the pool store trying to rip me off?

Thanks!

You can replace the motor with a 2 speed and save money by running on low speed for a longer filtration time. Be sure the motor on high speed is the same as the motor you currently have. IF I am not mistaken your current motor (Now called AO Smith Century) is a full rated 1.5 HP with a service factor of 1.47 for a brake HP of 2.2 and is a a square flange motor (usually used on Pentair pumps like the Whisperflo, Starite pumps, American, Waterway, and others that take a square flange motor) so the replacement 2 speed would be AO Smith SQS1152R or UQS1202R (exactly the same motor but one is sold as a full rated 1.5 HP and the other as an uprated 2 HP. They are interchangeable and normally the same price). These motors are frame size 48Y but come with a rubber shim so they are considered to be" universal replacements". They are energy efficient on low speed.

The ONLY differenced between the 48Y frame and the 56Y frame is that the 56Y is 1/2" bigger in diameter. The square flange mounting is identical.

You can also get the energy efficient (on high speed also) B2983 which has a 56Y size frame, exactly like the motor you currently have but it is generally not as readily available. The energy efficient design can save about 5% in operating costs on high speed compared to the standard motor. and is the same on low speed as the two I listed above. There is also the B2983T which includes an integrated timer with display on the motor itself so you do not need a remote time clock. . I do not think you can just add a second time clock to control low speed only with an existing one speed time clock. I think you need a two speed timeclock but I could be wrong about this.

While the energy savings with a variable speed pump might be greater the initial cost is much higher so the two speed approach is often the most practical.

Thank you for the advice and the part #'s! I will definately look into this.

From what I've read online, it seems like I could add an Intermatic T106R to my existing intermatic timer? from what I understand, I need one timer to turn the pump on/off, and a second timer to change the speed from high to low? Could I also just get the T106M replacement part? Is the only difference between the T106R and the T106M the metal box?

Yes! that is the only difference. I have done this very change on my pool!!! Waterbear, as usual, is spot on! However the t106m vs the t106r. If you do not have the mounting bracket in place for the timer, then you'll need it for the t106r! Oh yeah, and by the way that little piece of metal is almost impossible to get your hands on! The t106m is in a metal box with an integrated bracket that can not be removed! Which intermatic box do you have? I had a PF1222T, which is a 2 timer box with freeze protection. I removed my second timer (booster pump timer) and converted to a suction style cleaner (hayward navigator). This left me a nice open timer spot! If you don't have a spot, then you'll need the t106m! Wiring is not impossible, but I give it a 7 on 1-10 difficulty level. FOCUS and you should be fine!

Your motor, on the other hand, is loud because the front bearing is going out! It can be repaired but it is unlikely you'll be able to disassemble with out breaking the 1/4" 7" long screws that hold the front to the back (motor).

Ok, so after getting a pool tech to actually come out and look at my equipment (as opposed to just talking to the guys at the pool store), the tech said that my pump is an American Products Ultra Flo, and that they never made that pump in a 2-speed model, so replacing the single speed motor with a dual speed might not work because he would have to find an impeller that would be compatible. He also said that the hydro efficiency of the current pump is not even remotely comparable to more recent designs, and strongly suggests that I replace both the pump and the motor with a new dual speed or variable speed model.

My question is, can I go ahead and just have him replace the motor and jimmy-rig an impeller to make it work? Would I be negating some of the energy efficiency of the dual speed by pairing it with an outdated pump?

Or at this point do I really need to consider replacing the pump AND the motor? The pump works, there's nothing wrong with it except that its an older model. Cost is a HUGE factor, so if I can get away with just replacing the motor, then that would be ideal.

@AFiremanFirst, thanks for the advice about the timer. I dont know what kind of box I have, but there is only one slot and its already filled with my current timer. I dont see any way I could fit a second timer in there, so I will probably have to get the t106m with the metal box.

While the Ultra flo is no longer made by Pentair (they own the American brand and no longer produce anything under that name) you can replace the motor with a two speed as long as the high speed performance of the motor is identical to the current motor performance and the model numbers I gave you are the two speed equivalents to your current motor. The impeller and volute will perform fine. The New Centurion motor model B2983 is the exact 2 speed replacement for your current New Centurian single speed B2842. Both are energy efficient on high speed and the two speed model is also energy efficient on low speed. The other models I gave are also compatible but they are not energy efficient on high speed so your total savings will be a bit less, depending on how much you need to run on high speed for the pool cleaner and the solar.

However, given that your pump is discontinued you might want to consider upgrading to a newer model. The ultraflo is a high flow pump designed for high pressure installations such as solar or pool/spa combos.

The Challanger high pressure is probably the closest to your UltraFlo in the current Pentair line up but they are only single speed.

If you decide to upgrade to a new pump then a WhisperFlo 2 speed (either 1.5 HP full rated or 2 HP up rated as these are the same pump and have the same brake HP as your current pump) is going to be your most cost efficient way to go. The Intellflo is the same wet end as the WhisperFlo but with the variable speed motor. Pentair also has their Sta Rite branded pumps that have a design similar to your Ultraflo with the metal band on the volute in both two speed and varialbe speed models. The Sta Rite branded pumps also have a long track record for being dependable workhorses like the Pentair branded ones

• 10 years later...

I am replacing my century two speed pool pump with an AO Smith Century USQ1202R uprated 2 speed motor.   All is well except that the new USQ1202R motor only comes with three wiring terminals, L1 L2 and Ground.  And that is confirmed by the label.  There is no common terminal.   The two speed pump I'm replacing had a common terminal which I need to run the two speeds.  And when I go to the AO Smith wiring guide, they show a common terminal for this product but in real life it isn't there. http://castellanomotors.com/techinfo/connect/aosmith/aoguide.htm

I'm running a Jandy Aqualink controller with a relay for high speed and a second relay for low speed so I need the common wire set up to send power to the high speed side and the low speed side of the motor.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help.