Pool Closed For Two Years

Last fall I bought a house in the country with a 40 year-old in-ground Buster Crabbe liner pool. The pool has been unmaintained for at least two years, and when I uncovered it this weekend for the first time, water visibility was less than two feet--you can't see the bottom. The system has a relatively new sand filter and pump, and I've had them going for about 16 hours now. My question is: Is this all I need to do to begin clarifying the water? Should I put anything in the water before it clears? FYI: We have well water, but it doesn't contain iron--just calcium.

Also, would anyone know approximately how long will it take to clear the water? And how often should I back flush the filter while all this is going on?

I'm a complete newbie at all this, so don't assume I know anything whatsoever. :) Thanks in advance for any help.

McGinley

Probably worth going in blind with a net and scoop out any solids or muck on the bottom that you can. It'll be that much less work for the filter.

Speaking of which, one rule of thumb is to backwash after the filter pressure goes up by about 10.

--paulr