Benefits Of An Ozonator

Ron2

I hate to debunk all the postings about the necessity to use chemicals but here is my experience. I installed a Sundance Montego spa in 1999. In the first two years, I followed the chemical regimen and testing. Then over a long period greater than six months, I became complacent about using the chemicals. I noticed that there appeared to be no change in the water quality. In fact, it was crystal clear and without any offensive odder. The slow speed circulation pump and ozonator are constantly on when the spa is not in use and the spa temp. was maintained between 102 and 104 degrees F. As a result of this experience, I decided not to use chemicals. In that period of time, I have only changed the water twice. Once in a spring where pollen from trees got in the tub and once in the fall because of leaves. The last time i changed the water was over five years ago. I do add water to compensate for evaporation. To this date, the water remains crystal clear with no odder and there has been no damage to any of the jets or pumps. I have had numerous friends, relatives and grand children using the tub and no one has ever gotten sick. Re all the postings recommending the use of chemicals, remember, suppliers want you to buy chemicals. One last thing, if you're in the start up mode (filing the tub for the first time) It might be wise to use chemicals to kill any bacteria that may be in the city's water system. I haven't found that necessary in my area. Regarding my ozonator, the original one installed in the tub uses a florescent bulb. I've had to replace that twice. I have now installed a Corona Discharge type that should have a longer life.

Maybe you should read other posts about people who got sick, or better yet follow the ozone manufactures directions. Ozone DOES NOT sanitize water, it helps to oxidize wastes. Just because your water is clear and smells ok, does not mean its safe. How many times have you seen beaches closed because the water has ecoli or other bad stuff, the water is clear and smells greatBUT, it can make you sick or even kill you. Maybe you need to do a little more research on ozone before you let small children into the water Search for children dying, or who get ill from water born illnesses. Call you ozone manufacturer and ask them if they think this is a good idea, they will tell you that you must keep a risdual of sanitizer such as chlorine or bromine in the tub.

The CDC and doctors and such have no care if you buy chemicals or not, they are there for your safty and they are telling you just ozone is not safe.

So, you use no sanitizer, and havent changed the water in 5 years?

Yes, that is correct. My filter is clean except for an occasional leaf part. I guess my experience is due to the quality of water from my utility. Can't vouch for other areas of the country.

Maybe you should read other posts about people who got sick, or better yet follow the ozone manufactures directions. Ozone DOES NOT sanitize water, it helps to oxidize wastes. Just because your water is clear and smells ok, does not mean its safe. How many times have you seen beaches closed because the water has ecoli or other bad stuff, the water is clear and smells greatBUT, it can make you sick or even kill you. Maybe you need to do a little more research on ozone before you let small children into the water Search for children dying, or who get ill from water born illnesses. Call you ozone manufacturer and ask them if they think this is a good idea, they will tell you that you must keep a risdual of sanitizer such as chlorine or bromine in the tub.

The CDC and doctors and such have no care if you buy chemicals or not, they are there for your safty and they are telling you just ozone is not safe.

What you're forgetting is that a spa is essentially a closed system with the cover on except for occasional tree debris when open and when people get in. It is not like the ocean, lake or pool whose waters can be compromised in any number of ways. Thanks for your concern but I'll continue my current routine

spa is essentially a closed system with the cover on except for occasional tree debris when open and when people get in.

And what you arent understanding is that opening the spa, and filling it with unsanitary carbon based lifeforms means it most certainly isnt a closed system.

spa is essentially a closed system with the cover on except for occasional tree debris when open and when people get in.

And what you arent understanding is that opening the spa, and filling it with unsanitary carbon based lifeforms means it most certainly isnt a closed system.

So, what happens when you go to the beach, lake or pool? Other than the pool with it's unhealthy level of chlorine, there is no protection. So you are at far greater risk than entering my hot tub. You can't live totally isolated from the world. In fact, the pursuit of absolute sanitary conditions makes one more subject to infection because your body does not produce the necessary antibodies to fight infections.

So, what happens when you go to the beach, lake or pool? Other than the pool with it's unhealthy level of chlorine, there is no protection. So you are at far greater risk than entering my hot tub. You can't live totally isolated from the world. In fact, the pursuit of absolute sanitary conditions makes one more subject to infection because your body does not produce the necessary antibodies to fight infections.

So, you suggest adding fish, aquatic plant life to your spa, and other organisms, to create a self-sustaining H20 environment?

I think that's revolutionary!

Clearly the next big thing is spa water care.

On a less serious note, it's difficult to have a conversation. What you're describing is a cesspool of human waste, body oils, lotions, in just a few hundred gallons of water that over 100F, accelerates bacteria and fungus growth at a rate any ozonatoer simply cannot keep up with.

There are many "right" way to maintain the water. Your solution is *not* one of them.

One last thing, if you're in the start up mode (filing the tub for the first time) It might be wise to use chemicals to kill any bacteria that may be in the city's water system.

This is the part that kills me. It’s apparently ok to go in what is essentially bath water time after time without sanitizing it but then there is a recommendation that when you do finally throw out the nasty bath water that you might want to sanitize the already treated city water that you refill with? Something is just a bit backward in that thinking LOL.

Well at the beach and a lake, Im not sitting int he same 400 gallons of 104 degree ater that me, my family, my neighbors, my neighbors kids have all sweat in, pissed in, **** in ( in micro amounts, but true), ejaculated in, sneezed in, spliied beer in, etc FOR 5 YEARS! At the beach or lake, its trillions and trillions ( beach) and millions and millions ( lake) of water thats not at optimal bactera breeding temp that circulates around and doesnt sit in the same 400 gallon cesspoll that your hot tub is. Is it sanitary? No. is it probabally cleaner/less risky ( and just downright gross) than your hot tub? I wouldnt get in yours to test it out.

I dont get into a lake or the ocean expecting reasonably clean water, nor do I do so often ( less than once a year). Do I expect ultra sanitized and sterile water ina hot tub, hardly, but I do expect you to at least give it some effort.

I'll go in any lake any day before going in your untreated hot tub.

Here is how a lake works in general:

As plant life grows it absorbs carbon dioxide and gives off oxygen. The oxygen is needed by other life forms, (fish, bacteria etc.). Animal life also feeds directly off the plant life and this life becomes food for other life. When the plants and animals die, this dead organic matter sinks to the bottom and begins to decay. Bacteria begin to do their job. They turn the organic matter into ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and finally into nitrogen. Besides nitrogen, other plant nutrients (potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus etc.) also are produced in order to keep the life cycle on going. Nitrogen basically is plant food. The nitrogen provides the means for new plant growth. The life cycle of algae works the same way. Bacteria eat the dead algae; small animals (zooplankton) eat the algae and the bacteria, which in turn is eaten by other life forms. Death is not a bad thing because it provides food for the living. Therefore in a balanced pond or lake the process provides each life with the means to survive.

There is nothing in your hot tub eating the waste from what is eesentially your bath water. An ozone may be creating oxygen in a manner of speaking but its not enough on its own. There is no "circle of life" in your hot tub. You need to sanitize your water or you're asking for big trouble.

Sorry, but advising people to rely on ozone alone is not prudent advice.

Proper hot tub sanitization isn't expensive. It can be as simple as a tiny bit of laundry bleach. I use bromine, which is not as cheap as bleach. Even so, and including test reagents, dry acid, baking soda, and spa flush (for when I drain and refill), and a few other chems or enzymes, the bill for keeping a spa clean and healthy doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Ozone IS a disinfectant, and is used as such in many nunicipal water systems. I don't think it's ever been demonstrated that hot tub ozonators produce enough or get it dispersed well enough to accomplish anything.

When it comes to a spa, halogens are your friend!

I hate to debunk all the postings about the necessity to use chemicals but here is my experience. I installed a Sundance Montego spa in 1999. In the first two years, I followed the chemical regimen and testing. Then over a long period greater than six months, I became complacent about using the chemicals. I noticed that there appeared to be no change in the water quality. In fact, it was crystal clear and without any offensive odder. The slow speed circulation pump and ozonator are constantly on when the spa is not in use and the spa temp. was maintained between 102 and 104 degrees F. As a result of this experience, I decided not to use chemicals. In that period of time, I have only changed the water twice. Once in a spring where pollen from trees got in the tub and once in the fall because of leaves. The last time i changed the water was over five years ago. I do add water to compensate for evaporation. To this date, the water remains crystal clear with no odder and there has been no damage to any of the jets or pumps. I have had numerous friends, relatives and grand children using the tub and no one has ever gotten sick. Re all the postings recommending the use of chemicals, remember, suppliers want you to buy chemicals. One last thing, if you're in the start up mode (filing the tub for the first time) It might be wise to use chemicals to kill any bacteria that may be in the city's water system. I haven't found that necessary in my area. Regarding my ozonator, the original one installed in the tub uses a florescent bulb. I've had to replace that twice. I have now installed a Corona Discharge type that should have a longer life.

I know you all want to but let me be the first. I CALL BS!! There is no possible way in this world that this post is true. Maybe it's a Ozone generators sales pitch, something, I don't know. But the crystal clear water you are talking about is full of nastys. After 5 years it would be slimy green. Take yourself to the optomitrist and get some new glasses so you can see it.

5 year old sanitized water is bad enough, but this is just real bad. I think if I knew you and found out you were putting children into this water, i would report you. By the way, not only do people get sick and die from improperly maintained pools and hot tubs, they also do from lakes and ponds. Maybe you need to watch discovery channel once and awhile. I can not understand how in your mind you truely beleive a few hundred gallons of heated water can stay sanitary just for O2 being pumped in, what about quarries?

I'm new to this; in fact the hot tub I ordered 2 weeks ago has not arrived yet. However it does have an ozonator, and I'm not sure how to take advantage of the fact that this supposedly allows one to use few chemicals. One uses various test strips or droppers to check chemical levels. If one does not have an ozonator, does one need a "reading" of X ppm, but with an ozonator, you only need Y ppm? or does they ozonator slow the decay of the chemical levels? Feel free to post a link if this is cleary and simply explained elsewhere.

Most ozonators in spas except for very high end CD type ozonators don't do much at all one way or the other. Is yours UV or CD?

In theory they can help oxidize wastes and reduce sanitizer demand (note that is is not the level that you need to maintain in the water (in ppm) but rather the amount of sanitizer that needs to be added to maintain that level (in ppm) in the water) but in actual practice they can also INCREASE sanitizer demand because ozone tends to destroy chlorine and over oxidize the bromide reserve in a bromine spa to non renewable bromate ions.

Having an ozonator is definitely a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary).

I know you all want to but let me be the first. I CALL BS!! There is no possible way in this world that this post is true. Maybe it's a Ozone generators sales pitch, something, I don't know. But the crystal clear water you are talking about is full of nastys. After 5 years it would be slimy green. Take yourself to the optomitrist and get some new glasses so you can see it.

+1

As Forrest's mother always said "Stupid is as stupid does."