Replace Return Lines In Concrete Pool

I have a 20 x 40 concrete pool (fiberglass upper 2.5 feet wall) with 1 skimmer and 3 returns built in 1988. I have a leak in the return lines, possibly in the fitting that penetrates the fiberglass wall. I believe all of the return piping uses a common pipe. If I put a plug in the fitting in question (other two open), no leak. If I try and use all three returns, leak. I hired a pool guy to replace the fitting in question. Charged me about $1,000 to cut the concrete deck, supposedly install a new fitting, pressure test and pour back concrete. I paid him and noticed that it appeared to leak worse after the repair. Tried to get him to come back, and basically he was non responsive. At this point, I am considering 1) cutting the concrete out (just like he did) and trying to replace the existing fitting and local piping (I am pretty good with PVC), or 2) replacing all of the piping. My concern is (before getting started), the fact that I am not familiar with this type of plumbing application. I am assuming that the return fitting is similar to a bulk head, but don't know. Also, considering the installation of a second skimmer. Any advice? Is this difficult?

In advance, thanks

I can't offer any advice about the plumbing but write to inform you that when part of the desk was removed the bonding wire could have been cut - hopefully they repaired it - you should definitely ask, but if they won't return your calls I'm not sure I'd trust them.

Please repeat the pressure test. I am not convinced the line is what's leaking. If it passes, the leak is elsewhere.

Scott

• 2 years later...

Well, two years later - I finally cut the concrete and dug up the piping. What I found was the fitting going through the fiberglass sidewall above the concrete was cracked. The pressure testing company didn't catch the leak in the line pressure, because when they put the test plug "in" the pipe, they effectively went beyond the crack and the pipe tested fine. Replaced and no problems.

I was really nervous of cutting the concrete and getting to a project that was more difficult than it appeared - they always seem to be. but this actually was not that hard.