Extra Insulation?

Wezard

Wezard, keep in mind that ultimately air is the best insulator.

If I were to read this, which I did. I would say "rubish" Because air in itself is the worst insulator in the world. But I did figure that the poster was talking about air bubbles sealed inside foam, or inside two other insulating surfaces or something. But most people would say "wow I did not know air was the best insulator.

Thanks Preserved Swine, thats the kind of info that should be useful to most people. As near as I can find out, Leisure Bay is still around, kinda sorta.

Interesting note concerning the windows analogy, don't remember the #s, but single pane windows in good repair, with properly installed storm windows have an R rating substantially higher than the best double panes on the market, and slightly higher than top rated triple pane. Storm windows don't get much air time, cuz they ain't sexy, and the profit margin is minuscule.

Picked up a couple sheets of insulating wall board, to cover the top till the cover gets here, (3 to 4 weeks). It's about 1/2" foam with radiant barrier on one side and plastic film on the other. Noticed that with 2 side panels off, the way this tub is built, this stuff will lay right into the openings in the frame work behind the panels. Not much R value, 2.5, I think, but hey, I got no other use for it.

No comments on running the pumps with the jets above water? I thought it was hilarious, after I dried off, changed clothes and ascertained the my cell phone and blue tooth still worked. I've set the spa up on the carport, which we use as a patio, that little fiasco also thoroughly cleaned half of my carport ceiling, (and no, I'm not going to move the spa and clean the other half).

I hope Itchy and Scratchy wasn't serious, or if he was, he at least stays active on the chemistry side of the board.

First, Living in New englad, I will say, seeing it myself, a good quality thick covers does not melt the snow as quickly as a cheap or junk cover. The science behind it is not relevant. Snow melting means yur losing heat. As far as leisure bay, we used to be a dealer. Never had much for warranty issues, but they are poorly insulated. Our customers up hear would used the foil backed foam boards as you were talking about, foil on both side, reflects heat back in and cold out. There are some that have higher r values, about an inch thick. They taped they on to the panels really well, butting them up next to each other as close as they could. They also placed pieces on the floor as well as they could. I would not spray foam on the shell, this will not help, you want the heat you are reflecting back into the tub to hit the shell to help keep the water warm. Being you are in a warm state, the cost of doing this may be more than what you save.

The jets not working could be a couple of thing, these jets turn to go on and off, unless they are one of the smaller bullet jets. Try turning, if this does not work the juts do come out of the housing, there maybe junk blocking them. be careful taking them out, as they make break, and some of leisure bays jets are next to impossible to get now. You could also try using swirl away plumbing cleaner, which I would do anyway with a used tub. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Preserved Swine, thats the kind of info that should be useful to most people. As near as I can find out, Leisure Bay is still around, kinda sorta.

Interesting note concerning the windows analogy, don't remember the #s, but single pane windows in good repair, with properly installed storm windows have an R rating substantially higher than the best double panes on the market, and slightly higher than top rated triple pane. Storm windows don't get much air time, cuz they ain't sexy, and the profit margin is minuscule.

Picked up a couple sheets of insulating wall board, to cover the top till the cover gets here, (3 to 4 weeks). It's about 1/2" foam with radiant barrier on one side and plastic film on the other. Noticed that with 2 side panels off, the way this tub is built, this stuff will lay right into the openings in the frame work behind the panels. Not much R value, 2.5, I think, but hey, I got no other use for it.

No comments on running the pumps with the jets above water? I thought it was hilarious, after I dried off, changed clothes and ascertained the my cell phone and blue tooth still worked. I've set the spa up on the carport, which we use as a patio, that little fiasco also thoroughly cleaned half of my carport ceiling, (and no, I'm not going to move the spa and clean the other half).

I hope Itchy and Scratchy wasn't serious, or if he was, he at least stays active on the chemistry side of the board.

Excellent point on the storm windows. Very true.

As for Itchy and Scratchy, dont sweat it. If you want his contributions, you can easily see what he would have regurgitated by following Nitro's decontamination steps and the step by step bromine stickies in the chemistry forumn. Dont you love the dramatics?!

I find the dramatics rather funny, was hoping the actors weren't taking it too seriously.

The jets work fine, it was operator error - trying to turn the jets them-selfs, when I should have been turning the big chrome rings that surround them.

I did follow Nitro's step by step for 'super shock disinfecting' and then for bromine set up. I found the instructions for bromide rather complicated and scary the first, (and 2nd) time I read it. Followed through on most of the comments and questions in that thread which helped a little and confused me more at the same time. It did convince me to buy a real test kit. When the time came to actually set up the first time. I pulled up the post, went out and did step 1, came back in, read step 2, went out and did that, etc etc.. In other words, I did what I was told, when I was told, and it worked like like a champ, guess thats why it's called a step by step, it even makes sense now, sorta.

The Leslie's Pool Supply test kit is a Taylor kit, at about 1/2 the price, and no waiting for delivery. Guess I should post that on the chemical forum, as no body over there seems to be aware of that, or if they are, they ain't telling.

Still surprised I haven't gotten any razzing about turning on the pumps with the big jets above water, doing something stupid is a lot more fun if other people get to laugh at/with you.

ok, we will pick on you for turning the pumps on and getting soaked. Those of us in the industry have done it several times, we just dont want to admit it. I think you will find the bromine easy once you get into the swing. Happy tubbing!