Why Some People Should Buy Tubs From Dealers

A hot tub is different than most home appliances. It has pumps to pump water. It has controls to turn the various pumps on and off. It has water that has to be treated to maintain quality. It has to be 'operated' and 'maintained' and not just turned on and turned off. In fact, most hot tubs do not even have an on/off switch. The owner has to make some effort to understand the components of the tub and how they work. as well as learn the basics of water treatment. If you are the kind of person who wants to 'turn it on' like a tv set and then jump in, who does not own a screwdriver, who has no kinowledge of water treatment and does not want to make any effort to learn about hot tubs, who wants other people to deal with any problems, then you should buy a tub from a reputable dealer. A good dealer has a lot of experience with what you are looking for and will have friendly and knowledgable people to provide you with a good tub that will give you a good hot tub experience. What you should not do is go and buy a hot tub from Costco and then bring it home and expect the manufacturer or Costco to come and do everything connected with operating and maintaining it. If you buy a Costco hot tub, you should be an enthusiastic do-it-yourself kind of person willing and eager to learn what you need to know to enjoy your hot tub. Otherwise, go to a dealer. They need your business.

Very happy Costco hot tub owner.

I don't know what's going on around here lately, it seems this has become a group love-in for Costco and Hydro spas....?

While Costco tubs have there place, as NW Tub owner brings up, I think, that as a consumer there are even more reasons to consider a dealer.

It's been my experience that through REPUTABLE dealers, you'll find a more experience staff to help you understand what you are buying and what's involved, not just with water care, but with installing the spa, the foundation, the electrical, cover lifters, filters, and the correct products to use with the tub.

I've found that dealers typically carry a higher end product.

I've found that dealers have a MUCH more vested interest in a customer getting the right tub for them and being able to enjoy for many, many years.

Dealers can help you with maintaince problems, and also offer water testing for TDS.

If you do have a problem, a dealer is much more able (and willing) to get the job done correctly.

For me, it's not about "Do I own a screwdriver?" But rather buy a high quality product from a reputable source. Dealing with someone who will ensure that I get the most enjoyment and value for my dollar many years down the road.

Sure you can get a "Deal" from a big box store, but my time, my money, my piece of mind are worth something as well. I buy quality and enjoy the better things in life.

The above post seems to be a classic case of someone trying to validate their purchase after the fact.

I'm glad you are pleased with you Costco tub, but please; don't suggest that only lazy folks who don't own a screwdriver should shop there. It makes you look...well....with all due respect...ignorant.

You can't get the top of the line tubs, or top of the line service from Costco. And that's why you pay less.

A hot tub is different than most home appliances. ...

Yes.

So why would you buy a tub from a place that sells TV's, Washer machines and 50 gallon jars of mayo?

It's stupid posts like this that people bash, not Hydro spas. You get people who get thier first tub, have it for a few months and they know everything there is to know about tubs. Fixing tubs, no problem, I've had a tub for 4 months, I don't need a dealer, I just need a screwdriver and a can-do attitude. This is the same guy when someone complained about his PEII electric bill being much higher than expected he suggested to the user that there was nothing wrong with the tub but that he was probably forgetting to put the cover on when he was done.

For the record i have a box store tub myself and think they are great for some people as long as you go into it with your eyes open but to say that you should only go with a dealer if you are lazy or dont own a screwdriver is stupid. To say there is no value to come home to a broken tub on a cold night in the dead of winter after a long day at work and just have to call your dealer and know they will take care of it. i personally don't think it would be fun or interesting to replace a pump when it is 10 degrees out. That is a personal decision I guess.

It's stupid posts like this that people bash, not Hydro spas. You get people who get thier first tub, have it for a few months and they know everything there is to know about tubs. Fixing tubs, no problem, I've had a tub for 4 months, I don't need a dealer, I just need a screwdriver and a can-do attitude. This is the same guy when someone complained about his PEII electric bill being much higher than expected he suggested to the user that there was nothing wrong with the tub but that he was probably forgetting to put the cover on when he was done.

For the record i have a box store tub myself and think they are great for some people as long as you go into it with your eyes open but to say that you should only go with a dealer if you are lazy or dont own a screwdriver is stupid. To say there is no value to come home to a broken tub on a cold night in the dead of winter after a long day at work and just have to call your dealer and know they will take care of it. i personally don't think it would be fun or interesting to replace a pump when it is 10 degrees out. That is a personal decision I guess.

I see the future as dealers charging higher rates to the cotsco or home depot tub purchasers for service.

If you are the kind of person who wants to 'turn it on' like a tv set and then jump in, who does not own a screwdriver, who has no kinowledge of water treatment and does not want to make any effort to learn about hot tubs, who wants other people to deal with any problems, then you should buy a tub from a reputable dealer.

Uh. I just jump in to my tub. It's always on. What do you have do? Fire up the atomic batteries? :rolleyes: Actually on the initial install you will need a licenseed electrician. but

no matter where you buy your tub, or what brand you have, you will need to do this. You still will have to have a basic understanding of how to care for the water. However, any 5th grader can do it. It's not hard at all. The fact you have a lower end spa doens't effect ANY of this issues you mentioned.

The reasons for buying a big box store come down to price. That's it. You get a lower end spa, very limited choices and no support. For some it's a acceptable deal, for others, it's not even an option. But all this talk you bring up is foolish.

If you are the kind of person who wants to 'turn it on' like a tv set and then jump in, who does not own a screwdriver, who has no kinowledge of water treatment and does not want to make any effort to learn about hot tubs, who wants other people to deal with any problems, then you should buy a tub from a reputable dealer.

If you buy a Costco hot tub, you should be an enthusiastic do-it-yourself kind of person willing and eager to learn what you need to know to enjoy your hot tub.

LOL, your post would be much more complete if it included the MANY people who fall in between the completely incapable couch potato you so lovingly describe in the first profile and the "enthusiastic do-it-yourself kind of person" you are depicting in the second profile.

LOL, your post would be much more complete if it included the MANY people who fall in between the completely incapable couch potato you so lovingly describe in the first profile and the "enthusiastic do-it-yourself kind of person" you are depicting in the second profile.

I have doctor, lawyer, and engineer friends that would never ever consider working on a hot tub. So they buy from a reputable dealer. But I am not that kind of person. I have never needed or used my dealer in over 6 years with the tub I bought from him. The one before that was used and had no dealer. And the one before that. Now because of my plumbing background, I have fallen into repairing them for others. And I am sure there are others who would rather "do it themselves" But I think the norm is more the opposite.

I have been finding that there are more and more "orphan" spas from dealers going out of business. It is not always the dealers fault, but the facts of business and competition or a bad product and bad support from the manufacture.

There is no guarantee that a dealer will be around even if they have been in business for 20 years. Last year one of the biggest dealers in Long Island NY was locked out and shut down, because of not being able to make it. It is a really tough business and most people who get into the spa business better have fortitude and persiverence and don't expect things to ever be easy.

Many of those people contacted me after their dealers were gone and had regrets that they did not buy from me, because we are still around and still able to serve our customers after some of the worst economic years in the hot tub industry. We have expanded and we have a representative program that is working well.

Enjoy the tune in the link? I wrote it in 1976 in Bozeman Montana.

i wonder what kind of cheap spas you guys are buying to have that much trouble?

I had my last spa for about 5 years, and only had one problem, and it was that my ozanator stopped working. I actually did buy that one from the dealer, but took out the ozanator myself. Found out it was not covered by the warranty...and just kept using it with out a warranty.

They were helpful when i was not sure about the chemicals and stuff..though that information for that can be found online these days.

That tub was indoors though, so not sure if that makes a difference in how realiable they are. THis one is outside...and affected by the weather...so will see.

I have been finding that there are more and more "orphan" spas from dealers going out of business. It is not always the dealers fault, but the facts of business and competition or a bad product and bad support from the manufacture.

There is no guarantee that a dealer will be around even if they have been in business for 20 years. Last year one of the biggest dealers in Long Island NY was locked out and shut down, because of not being able to make it. It is a really tough business and most people who get into the spa business better have fortitude and persiverence and don't expect things to ever be easy.

Many of those people contacted me after their dealers were gone and had regrets that they did not buy from me, because we are still around and still able to serve our customers after some of the worst economic years in the hot tub industry. We have expanded and we have a representative program that is working well.

What your post has to do with the topic at hand is beyond me.

But since YOU brought it up....

I too have been finding out there are alot of hot tub dealers are going out of business too. Eh JimJim? :rolleyes:

Folks who are considering buying a hot tub should be VERY careful. There are many shady dealers out there over thier head in debt and could close down tomorrow. :rolleyes: Right Jim?

These jerks will tell you right to your face that they're in fine shape and will be around to service your spa, but they are lying, isnt that true JIM? These guys can be drowning in debt and have all sort of problems, yet they'll still take your money and you could be left holding the bag, wouldn't you agree JIM? You never know. Hey, there could be some dealers right here, right on this very board telling us right to our face that everything is fine, all the while they are ready to close the doors and declare bankruptcy. I'm sure you would agree JIM?

Jim? hello Jim?

So folks.... do your homework and research. There's a lot of good info out on the internet for careful and wise shoppers.

Oh...Hey Jim, on a completely unrelated note ...I'm just wondering, does you wife Sandy have any marketable skills in the job market?

This was posted on another hot tub board and speaks directly to the Big Box store tubs:

(Although in the article, they incorrectly use the word "Jacuzzi" when refering to a Key's hot tub. As we all know, Jacuzzi is a registered trademark, and is not the brand in question.

http://cbs3.com/consumer/local_story_032152151.html

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_pl...;q=lo&ref=2

Enjoy the tune in the link? I wrote it in 1976 in Bozeman Montana.

Poseidon in Long Island NY, the place that shut down, was only in business 5 years. Before that the guy joe had another store open and another before that! Also Harrows the biggest pool and spa retailer went out of business because of a drop of sales and didn't have customer support. You have to realize there are also 9 dealers on this block Rt.110 in Long Island

A hot tub is different than most home appliances. It has pumps to pump water. It has controls to turn the various pumps on and off. It has water that has to be treated to maintain quality. It has to be 'operated' and 'maintained' and not just turned on and turned off. In fact, most hot tubs do not even have an on/off switch. The owner has to make some effort to understand the components of the tub and how they work. as well as learn the basics of water treatment. If you are the kind of person who wants to 'turn it on' like a tv set and then jump in, who does not own a screwdriver, who has no kinowledge of water treatment and does not want to make any effort to learn about hot tubs, who wants other people to deal with any problems, then you should buy a tub from a reputable dealer. A good dealer has a lot of experience with what you are looking for and will have friendly and knowledgable people to provide you with a good tub that will give you a good hot tub experience. What you should not do is go and buy a hot tub from Costco and then bring it home and expect the manufacturer or Costco to come and do everything connected with operating and maintaining it. If you buy a Costco hot tub, you should be an enthusiastic do-it-yourself kind of person willing and eager to learn what you need to know to enjoy your hot tub. Otherwise, go to a dealer. They need your business.

Very happy Costco hot tub owner.

Further on this: I am surprised to see how many of you take this comment as some sort of slam against dealers or their customers. Far from it, it's just my observation that some people are better off buying from a dealer. That does not mean that they are are the ONLY people who should buy from a dealer (as several of you claimed) nor does it mean that they are 'lazy' (as a couple of you claimed). Dealers also offer a much wider variety of tubs for someone who wants a particular style, feature, color, or whatever.

What's great about the Costco hot tubs is that they offer the do-it-yourselfer and option that did not previously exist to get a quality tub at a discounted price that does not build in the costs for all of the support from the dealer that they do not need and do not want to pay for. Before, the DIY buyer had to go to the dealer and pay the same price as the buyer who needed the handholding. The DIY buyers don't want to pay for the people who have the dealer out to their house 8 times in a month for stupid stuff.

Finally, for the couple of you who didn't like my comment and resorted to name-calling, here's a wet sloppy bronx cheer in your face. :) So long kids...

Poseidon in Long Island NY, the place that shut down, was only in business 5 years. Before that the guy joe had another store open and another before that! Also Harrows the biggest pool and spa retailer went out of business because of a drop of sales and didn't have customer support. You have to realize there are also 9 dealers on this block Rt.110 in Long Island

Thanks for clearing that up. I got it from a newspaper article. It is a tough business and a lot of my friends here in Denver had to give up with the crash of 2002 (after the Twin Towers). One of my friends was up to nearlly $500,000 in debt to try and keep it going. Very nice guy with a traditional larger store and no internet.

We have outlasted all of the dealers in Denver who started the same year that we did. It is not by accident.

The first time I saw the internet, I realized what I needed to do. It is the future and it is here and now. But we have both a very small store and a place to process all the internet spas. We have 12 to deliver right now, but I can't get the trailer loaded because of continually severe winter here. It was 16.4 below zero this morning when I got up.

I buy most of my expensive items from internet retaillers, because the quality is higher, prices lower and the service is better. That is what Consumer Reports, reported at the holiday times, when they did a survey of consumers. :D

Further on this: I am surprised to see how many of you take this comment as some sort of slam against dealers or their customers. Far from it, it's just my observation that some people are better off buying from a dealer. That does not mean that they are are the ONLY people who should buy from a dealer (as several of you claimed) nor does it mean that they are 'lazy' (as a couple of you claimed). Dealers also offer a much wider variety of tubs for someone who wants a particular style, feature, color, or whatever.

What's great about the Costco hot tubs is that they offer the do-it-yourselfer and option that did not previously exist to get a quality tub at a discounted price that does not build in the costs for all of the support from the dealer that they do not need and do not want to pay for. Before, the DIY buyer had to go to the dealer and pay the same price as the buyer who needed the handholding. The DIY buyers don't want to pay for the people who have the dealer out to their house 8 times in a month for stupid stuff.

Finally, for the couple of you who didn't like my comment and resorted to name-calling, here's a wet sloppy bronx cheer in your face. :) So long kids...

It's about the price.

There is no way in hell that if you walked into the store and there was the HS Grandee, a Sundance Optima, the Artic Legend and the Costco unit all the same price you would say "You know what? ,I'm an enthusiastic kinda of guy with a screwdriver, gimme the Costco tub!!!! oh yea!"

No. Way.

There is nothing wrong with what you bought, it just struck me as being as little self patronzing. You boght the tub because it was at the price point you felt was acceptable.

I do hope you enjoy your tub! :)

It really is a sad thing to see, but it is the near future. The small family owned dealers are going to go away, because the Chineese and companies that run much cleaner and more efficient businesses from the internet are pricing these dealers out of business.

Why are there no longer any mom and pop local corner grocery stores? Even the 7-11 on our old street is gone, because the supermarkets are all withing one mile of each other.

It is just the new economy that came with the internet.

It really is a sad thing to see, but it is the near future. The small family owned dealers are going to go away,

as far as your famiully owned buisiness, I am counting the days.

Have you filed you papers yet with the courts?

Some dealers are doing just fine.....mighty fine, actually. :)

Terminator

Towards the end of last year I was forseeing problems in finding enough raw materials just to meet our demand this year. Here it is only the beginning February and I'm already spending 2 to 3 times the amount of time as last year finding high enough quality of wood we need.

It was 16.4 below zero this morning when I got up.

It was 21 below this morning here and I had a crew of 10 guys working outside all day. We did get a slow start though. Couple trucks had to be jumped and a forklift wouldn't go. Ya gota plug them deisels in.

IPB Image

Some dealers are doing just fine.....mighty fine, actually. :)

Terminator

Looks like ya got 12 left....get going!!!

So YOU'RE the one who got my Pearl/Redwood Grandee!

I should hve guessed.

And you haven't even sold the thing?

B)