Cloudy After Shock

I have a 25,000 gallon in ground concrete / plaster pool. It is an older pool (1998ish) but new to us - we just moved in a few months back. To prepare for the swim season I gave it a good shocking last night. Leslie's recommended 4lbs of Cal-Hypo Shock. I put that in last night at 7:00 PM and now 12 hours later it is cloudy as all heck. Water was crystal clear when I started.

I'm hoping that time in the sun today (Phoenix AZ 97 deg ambient / 78 deg water temp) will help to clarify but I'm still eager for your opinions and advice. Pool needs to be swim-able for Friday.

I have a 25,000 gallon in ground concrete / plaster pool. It is an older pool (1998ish) but new to us - we just moved in a few months back. To prepare for the swim season I gave it a good shocking last night. Leslie's recommended 4lbs of Cal-Hypo Shock. I put that in last night at 7:00 PM and now 12 hours later it is cloudy as all heck. Water was crystal clear when I started.

I'm hoping that time in the sun today (Phoenix AZ 97 deg ambient / 78 deg water temp) will help to clarify but I'm still eager for your opinions and advice. Pool needs to be swim-able for Friday.

Have you treated the water this morning and what are your readings? Some of the cheaper shocks out on the market will do what your describing but it could also do that if you had a high bacteria count.

Keep the pump circulating and make sure the filter is kept clean to keep your turnover up. If you have some water clairifier add only the amount instructed the bottle.

Do you have a set of water test results from right before you shocked? I suspect that your TA was on the high side as was your pH and also that your calcium hardness was high since high calcium is very common in your part of the country. The additional calcium added by the calcium hypochlorite (cal hypo) shock very possibly caused calcium carbonate to precipitate out and cloud the water. If you turn off the pump for a day and the cloudiness settles you can vacuum it out carefully. However, you do want to retest your calcium hardness and total alkalinity again since if you have precipitate out calcium carbonate your levels will have changed.