hole in pool wall

Guest Guest_Tony_*

Guest Guest_Tony_*

I have 24' around above ground pool, and just noticed (where there is a patched hole in the liner) that the outer wall is now rusted away. It has not yet burst through, but all that is holding it is the coating over the metal wall. Is there an easy way to fix this - or should I say is there a way to fix??!! Should I let it sit until it breaks, then drain the water? will that cause further damage? thoughts, suggestions.. much appreciated

-Tony

Guest kelly-anne

Hi Tony,

I haven't had any experience with this, so this is just what I would do under the circumstance...

I would drain the pool below the leak area & where the damage has occured. I would pull back the area of the liner to expose the rusted spot. I would clean with a rust remover such as CLR. After it is dry, I would apply a layer of varnish to both inner wall and outer wall where the damage has occured. I would do this several times until a good seal has been made.

You didn't say if the wall had a hole eaten through by the rust, but if it has, I would use an epoxy to fill it (after the above method had been completed) The tough epoxy should hold the pool water in, but as an added precaution, I would add a patch over the epoxy area.

You could try and call the pool manufacturer and ask for their advice. It sounds as if you leave it too long and the rust eats through you'll require a new pool !!!~ I would try and fix it, and order a new liner for next summer :)

Best of luck !!!~

Kelly-Anne