Noise Reduction

Yellow

Hi Everyone. Just found the forum and within minutes I was able to fix the water problem I was having! However I still have a bigger problem, my spa is ridiculously LOUD. I have it on an 8" deck that sits directly on the ground. It's as if the deck is acting like a guitar body and is amplifying the hum... I was considering getting some rubber mats like for under children's play equipment or you find in gyms but don't really know. Any experience? or ideas? Thanks guys, great info. here.

Forgot to mention that I have a Dream Maker with the plastic body that uses heat transfer to heat the spa so it runs alot. Also, I just added a timer so it turns off overnight which is already a big improvement.

Hi Everyone. Just found the forum and within minutes I was able to fix the water problem I was having! However I still have a bigger problem, my spa is ridiculously LOUD. I have it on an 8" deck that sits directly on the ground. It's as if the deck is acting like a guitar body and is amplifying the hum... I was considering getting some rubber mats like for under children's play equipment or you find in gyms but don't really know. Any experience? or ideas? Thanks guys, great info. here.

Forgot to mention that I have a Dream Maker with the plastic body that uses heat transfer to heat the spa so it runs alot. Also, I just added a timer so it turns off overnight which is already a big improvement.

Its a little late to tell you that when placing on a deck you really want to get a spa that uses a 24 hr circulation pump not one that filters/heats with the main pump but since the deed is done you'll need a noise isolator. It sounds like you're on the right track with the mat. Give it a try but also look to see if the pump itselfis has some rubber isolators under it or whether it directly secured to the equipment base.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't able to sign in for some reason... I wonder if the mats that have holes in them would be more or less effective than a solid rubber mat? Anyway I'll follow up on here to let anyone who may be interested in the outcome. Will be a couple weeks as I don't want to dump the spa until after I return from Memorial Day weekend. Thanks again and hopefully I wont be locked out again...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've placed a 3/4 inch rubber mat under the tub and I don't notice any difference in noise, in fact it sounds louder as I've rotated the tub so the pump is closer to my house... :wacko: The pump has a rubber gasket between it and the base of the spa but it is thin and looks pretty hard. Do you think getting a thicker, softer piece of rubber would help? What if i used a separate piece of rubber under each mounting screw rather than one solid piece of rubber? Hope some one here has fixed this before. Thanks Guys!

Ok so I've placed a 3/4 inch rubber mat under the tub and I don't notice any difference in noise, in fact it sounds louder as I've rotated the tub so the pump is closer to my house... :wacko: The pump has a rubber gasket between it and the base of the spa but it is thin and looks pretty hard. Do you think getting a thicker, softer piece of rubber would help? What if i used a separate piece of rubber under each mounting screw rather than one solid piece of rubber? Hope some one here has fixed this before. Thanks Guys!

Are you sure the sound you are hearing is the vibration from the pump, or is the pump/bearings itself loud. If it is the actual pump, no amount of rubber will help.

It may be a bit of both but there is certainly a lot of vibration that is increased from being on the box deck. I opened the cabinet and stuffed some strips of the rubber mat that I had left over and some fiberglass insulation in areas that seemed to have alot of vibration. I also added rubber matting around the cabinet door to keep it from vibrating as much and insulation to the inside of the door between the vents. Not sure what exactly worked but it is much much quieter now.

As a side question. I noticed I long bare wire attached to the outside of the pump. Is this the thermometer/ thermostat? If I move it away from the pump will it allow my tub to get hotter?

It may be a bit of both but there is certainly a lot of vibration that is increased from being on the box deck. I opened the cabinet and stuffed some strips of the rubber mat that I had left over and some fiberglass insulation in areas that seemed to have alot of vibration. I also added rubber matting around the cabinet door to keep it from vibrating as much and insulation to the inside of the door between the vents. Not sure what exactly worked but it is much much quieter now.

As a side question. I noticed I long bare wire attached to the outside of the pump. Is this the thermometer/ thermostat? If I move it away from the pump will it allow my tub to get hotter?

If by "bare wire" you mean a copper wire thats for grounding.

The pump should only be touching the base of the compartment with rubber "feet". If the sides of the pump are touching the compartment walls or compartment door that may be part of your problem.