Breaker Trips After Rain, Now It Won't Reset.

Hello.

I have a thermospa that is installed in my deck. The spa pack is located underneath the deck.

We had a terrible rainstorm the past few days and during this time the breaker tripped. This has happened before, and I thought I had taken care of the problem. (the spapac was getting a little wet)

Now the breaker will not reset at all. The moment I flip the switch it immediately trips. I cannot seem to nail down the problem. The breaker is very old, probably 10-15 years. Could the breaker be bad from

the tripping every once in a while? Could the rain have destroyed my main board? If it did destroy the board would this still cause the breaker to trip?

Any help would be appreciated.

is there still any moisture in the spa pak, that can cause it, you could remove the incoming wires from the spa cap the ends. Flip the power on if it stays then something still in the tub, Heater, Pump, Moisture still at the spa pak or pumps or heater,,,if the breaker trips then problem on that side possibly time to replace the breaker.

Heres what I've done so far.

I've removed all external appliances from the pack (heater core, pump, air pump) and the breaker still trips. I disconnected the main power wires from the pack and the breaker stayed on indicating that there is no short from the breaker to the pack itself. My feeling is that there is moisture behind the main board, where I can't see, or that the main board is fried, or lastly the breaker died. The problem is that replacing either item is a money sink. Especially if I'm wrong.

I'm hoping that its just water on the board that I can't see, and when it dries all will be right again. Is there a way to test the breaker to see if that could be the problem? Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Moisture does not have to be located in the spa pack to cause the GFI to trip. We found a spa recently where the electrician ran the wiring from the house to the spa with using conduit. We've replaced everything in that spa (under warranty) at one time or another, but everytime it rains, the breaker trips. We are having him put the wire in conduit. So far no more calls.

Spa under a deck...many critters like chewing on wires for some reason.

try a hairdryer. If the breaker stayed on, then your breaker is fine, its in the control pack somewhere.

I have found an air compressor with an air knozzle to be quicker. Turn off the power and get right in there blowing the air in from the top to the bottom..